Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeing the world in autopilot, part deux

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say I'm someone who would vastly prefer Supercruise simply because of the hands free, and the way GM constantly updates the maps by using lidar equipped mapping vehicles.

GM does not constantly update the map. They do it once or twice a year. And they and their mapping partners Ushr are aiming to eventually increase this rate to 4 times a year.

Possibly in future GM platforms they will use different kind of map and techniques that will update the map more often, but not super cruise.

The players right now that I have faith will be able to make HD maps of highways in US that will update frequently, are Mobileye, HERE, and Tesla. (others in other countries as well.)

GM is working on a more advanced driver assist system with EyeQ4 that will not be under the "Super Cruise" name and is a very different project.

Right now I'm like a kid before Christmas anxiously awaiting the release of V9. Do I really think it's going to work in average Seattle conditions? Probably not. Do I have lots of disagreements about the implementation? Yes.

But, I can find excitement in it despite any misgivings I might have.

At the end of day I'm excited by autonomous technologies.

I am incredibly excited, passionate, and enthusiastic about autonomous vehicles, I am even very excited about Tesla, and excited about Tesla autopilot, However, I am not excited about Tesla with respect to making autonomous vehicles, only really cool driver assist systems that other automakers will not make due to philosophical differences.

Self driving cars sold to consumers will be the smallest and most niche market segment for autonomous vehicles, vastly smaller than commercial AVs, roboTaxis, and ADAS. However, it is still an area I am very excited about. And there are many automakers that I am excited about making and selling them, Tesla is not one of them.

Well, the car is at home and I am stuck in Paris for a couple more days. But you better believe I'd be running v9 once I get back. The internals are interesting and it's quite a rewrite of the AP subsystem. Does use all cameras it appears

All 7 cameras? or just 5 (front 3 + repeaters)

Perhaps relevant in the discussion about 3D bounding boxes... The IC "toy cars" are no longer based on static images, but are now 3D objects (FBX-files) that you can twist and turn in any direction:

IC_3d_sedan.jpg

IC_3d_moto.jpg

IC_3d_truck.jpg

IC_3d_truck2.jpg

Perhaps relevant in the discussion about 3D bounding boxes... The IC "toy cars" are no longer based on static images, but are now 3D objects (FBX-files) that you can twist and turn in any direction:

View attachment 338581
View attachment 338582
View attachment 338583
View attachment 338584
Disappointed that they aren't using the Tesla Semi for the full truck image

In all seriousness though, can we take this as evidence that the have/will have the capability to draw 3d bounding boxes and orient models appropriately?

In all seriousness though, can we take this as evidence that the have/will have the capability to draw 3d bounding boxes and orient models appropriately?
Or maybe it’s supporting @verygreen ’s point that 3D bboxes is just an old visualization/debug aid?

(Why would Tesla put 3D models like this in IC unless they need/want a smooth as silk rendering of the cars’ real world orientation? And how would they possibly ve able to orient these models accurately without an actual understanding of whats the front and back and left and right side of a car?)

You haven't installed v9 yet right? what clues you to think it is using all 8 cameras?
Have not you seen those pictures of calibration status of other cameras from dev screens elsewhere?
And I have other good supporting evidence.

He has access to the source code
I wish I did! But no, no source code access on my end.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
GM does not constantly update the map. They do it once or twice a year. And they and their mapping partners Ushr are aiming to eventually increase this rate to 4 times a year.

Yeah, that's a good clarification. I meant to type continually because I was too lazy to look up the actually frequency of it. But, my point was that it gets does get periodic updates. 4 times a year is where it really should be at least in the US. The US will never be like China where a new roads can be built over a weekend.

ok. what particular car do I ask them for? I'll try it on Saturday. Keep in mind I live in the boonies, and I think there was some NY guy even that complained that due to no maps in his area the system barely activated.

Keep in mind I'll be comparing against v9 too

Cadillac CT6 with supercruise.

@Bladerskb
Which current car can automatically change lanes without driver input? Supercruise can't even do what Teslas have been doing for 4 years now with turn signal lane changing. Your narrative you push is getting stale.

using ultrasound to lane change which only works about 25-50% of the time is something to cheer lead about? lol okay.

Tesla has the balls to actually push the envelope. I don't like their business practices but at least they are trying. I don't see major auto companies doing the same in a similar timeframe despite your incessant ME cheerleading.
Tesla isn't pushing the envelope or the industry. They are doing public beta testing which has pros and cons but they are definitely NOT pushing the industry.

What you see in V9 is the LIMIT of tesla's current SDC software. Their ADAS system IS their SDC software.

Think about it, they have 200+ people working on autopilot, no wonder it is one of the best ADAS system out there.
Others have way less than 10 people (and that's being generous) working on their ADAS. why? they don't care about ADAS.

However they have hundreds of people working on their L3/L4 projects. Therefore their ADAS system IS NOT an indicator of their sdc software while Tesla's ADAS IS their sdc software.

Its just that simple. What V9 is doing today, Audi was doing 3 years ago with one camera, 4 radar using a mobileye eyeq3.

3:45

Its just that simple. What V9 is doing today, Audi was doing 3 years ago with one camera, 4 radar using a mobileye eyeq3.

It is quite simple.

Audi didn't release it in a car I could buy 3 years ago, and nothing today either.
Tesla is releasing within a matter of days/weeks depending on results of the beta testers.

What good is innovation from an R&D side if it never really leaves the building because lawyers get in the way?

Tesla is pushing the industry because VW/Audi/Porsche/etc has to respond. I think we're seeing the response with more intelligent L2 systems instead of dumbing them down like what MB was pulling.

Yes there are pro's and con's with Tesla's approach.

The pro's are pushing the envelope on what actually gets released versus toy'd with in R&D.
The con's are like anyone first to the market where things don't always go as planned. Like I'm sure we're going to see a few V9 crashes because drivers misunderstood how cautious you have to be with it. That side cameras can't always detect everything, and the ultrasonics are laughable.

Following Tesla's footsteps into the market isn't necessary a bad thing. That's what Audi/Porsche are doing in trying to replicate the success Tesla had for EV's.

Obviously it's hard to compare an ICE car to an electric car. It's not like I'm really going to serious consider getting a CT6 with supercruise. As the first requirement is electric, and second requirement is autonomy. Those two things go hand in hand for me.

Now when the Porsche Taycan comes out then it's going to be a more serious ADAS comparison. But, Porsche has never really been big on adding driver aides/autonomy into their drivers cars. I'm just some weirdo that wants a track car and an autonomous car in one.

Last edited:
Have not you seen those pictures of calibration status of other cameras from dev screens elsewhere?
And I have other good supporting evidence.

I wish I did! But no, no source code access on my end.

Oh yea I have definitely seen them.

But it past you have always said they don’t appear to be enabled yet.

I knew the repeaters were going to be enabled in v9, but wasn’t sure of the side cameras and back cameras were going to be enabled for autopilot in v9.0.

This was my first time hearing you say that you thought it looked like all 8 would be enabled next update.

But it past you have always said they don’t appear to be enabled yet.
Well, yeah, up to 18.36 they were not enabled.

This was my first time hearing you say that you thought it looked like all 8 would be enabled next update.
yeah. they enabled all 8 now it looks like. possibly only to FSD users? Not yet 100% clear on that.