Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Advice on 4K Dashcam Setup for 2015 Model S - Cross-Country Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey fellow Tesla enthusiasts! 👋

I'm the proud owner of a 2015 Model S and I've got an exciting cross-country road trip planned for next winter! 🚗🛣️
Before I hit the road, I'd like to install front and rear 4K dashcams in my car for added security and to capture those scenic drives. 🏞️📸

I'm reaching out to you all for some advice and recommendations on the best 4K dashcams that are compatible with my Model S. Here are some features I'm specifically looking for:

1. 4K resolution for both front and rear cameras 🎥
  2. Easy installation and integration with my Model S ⚙️
  3. Powered on all the time without draining the battery 🔋
  4. Good nighttime performance 🌙
  5. Optional, but a bonus: cloud storage for footage ☁️
I'd love to hear about your personal experiences with dashcams on your Teslas, as well as any installation tips or tricks. Any suggestions on reputable brands or specific models that meet my criteria would be greatly appreciated! 🙌

Looking forward to your insights and hitting the open road in my trusty Model S! 🌄

Happy driving! 🚀

I've been a fan of BlackVue, like the DR900X, but it only offers 4K for the front, and 1080P for the rear. It does have cloud storage and it works automatically. When I park at my house, it connects via WiFi and uploads the last recordings. Perhaps others have a suggestion on a product that has 4K front and rear. Here's my Dashcam guide for Tesla (add-on, not the internal Dashcam for later cars): Ultimate Tesla Dashcam Guide – TeslaTap

You should be able to tap into always-on power in the microphone panel. The exact details are in the article.

There are no problems powering on the dashcam all the time. Many dashcams recommend some external power supply, but that is intended for ICE cars. Do not waste your money or time with extra power supplies. With an EV, you could run years if the dashcam was the only load on the battery. I've wired in always-on dashcams in all my Teslas.

Have to get 2 single dashcams with their own memory cards then if you want both "4K".

I put "4K" in "air quotes" because it isn't really high quality video. Yes if you play it back on a PC with an hdmi out to a 4K television or I guess a 4K PC monitor, the size is 2160p vertically but it is most likely upsampled and not any better quality than if they left it 1080p. Maybe by this winter that will have changed but most reviews say this about all the C(r)CC cameras on amazon.

After having a "4K" dashcam in my leaf I put a more expensive garmin setup front and rear in my S. It has a 180 degree field of view in front (67W, mini2 in back) but can't even see license plates in daylight unless you're right behind that car. If you need to record a license plate for crime evidence, like if someone is road raging in the lane next to you, count on having to see it yourself and dictate it, and hope the dashcam isn't on mute setting like I had when I needed it most with my kingslim D4.:mad:

Agree with @beatle. When it comes to dash cams there is no such a thing as 4K, 2K or even FHD. Most of these dash cams are 480p at best, even the expensive so called premium brands (Blackvue, Thinkware).

I used to have a Thinkware 2K dual channel one and the video quality was no where near the advertised 2K resolution. While the video was good enough when I had to use that for insurance once the quality was not what I would call premium.

You are better off with a cheaper brand like Viofo and they will serve your purpose. Just make sure which ever you buy has the ability to access the dash cam via your phone. And buy a high endurance SD card for the dash cam.

480P? No way. Most do a fairly good 1080p nowadays. Now I do agree dashcams with 4K are not the crystal quality of a $1K digital camera with a good lens. Dashcams spread out the view to cover more area so you may think it's lower resolution than you're used to with a digital camera and a narrow lens.

I've owned and tested quite a few dashcams, and the price usually affects the quality you'll get. I even ran some tests with multiple dashcams in my car at the same time on the same roads. Quite a bit of difference, especially at picking out a license plate. Ultimate Tesla Dashcam Guide – TeslaTap

Most higher resolution dashcams have a bit wider view - good for more coverage, but at the cost of lower resolution in the center area. Still, I recommend going for the highest resolution you can afford. New dashcams today are a lot better than even those made 3-4 years ago. Technology keeps getting better!

New dashcams today are a lot better than even those made 3-4 years ago. Technology keeps getting better!

Ehh, I don't agree. Technology is improving on some cameras like action cameras (GoPro), cell phones, and standalone interchangeable lens cameras, but dashcams are stuck in the past. They basically all use 5+ year old technology. Take a look at the video above. It's a shame, because you're right, there are better sensors and processors out there, but dashcam manufacturers don't seem to care enough about image quality to invest in these newer, more expensive components.

Even a modern GoPro isn't a silver bullet for image quality, and it's not really a good choice as a security camera either. Here is another video, a bit longer, that expounds on where dashcams are:

Another vote for Blackvue. I’ve used the 750S for years with zero issues. Simple install since you can tap the power at the windshield rear view mirror cover as previously mentioned.
1080p was clear as day to get a license plate of an offending hit and run person a few years ago. Hit someone else, but I had the footage.

Ehh, I don't agree. Technology is improving on some cameras like action cameras (GoPro), cell phones, and standalone interchangeable lens cameras, but dashcams are stuck in the past. They basically all use 5+ year old technology. Take a look at the video above. It's a shame, because you're right, there are better sensors and processors out there, but dashcam manufacturers don't seem to care enough about image quality to invest in these newer, more expensive components.

Even a modern GoPro isn't a silver bullet for image quality, and it's not really a good choice as a security camera either. Here is another video, a bit longer, that expounds on where dashcams are:

I was about to link the same channel. There very much are 4K dashcams that have high video quality. He recently did a shootout:

Reactions: vcor
Have to get 2 single dashcams with their own memory cards then if you want both "4K".

I put "4K" in "air quotes" because it isn't really high quality video. Yes if you play it back on a PC with an hdmi out to a 4K television or I guess a 4K PC monitor, the size is 2160p vertically but it is most likely upsampled and not any better quality than if they left it 1080p. Maybe by this winter that will have changed but most reviews say this about all the C(r)CC cameras on amazon.

After having a "4K" dashcam in my leaf I put a more expensive garmin setup front and rear in my S. It has a 180 degree field of view in front (67W, mini2 in back) but can't even see license plates in daylight unless you're right behind that car. If you need to record a license plate for crime evidence, like if someone is road raging in the lane next to you, count on having to see it yourself and dictate it, and hope the dashcam isn't on mute setting like I had when I needed it most with my kingslim D4.:mad:
Agree with @beatle. When it comes to dash cams there is no such a thing as 4K, 2K or even FHD. Most of these dash cams are 480p at best, even the expensive so called premium brands (Blackvue, Thinkware).

I used to have a Thinkware 2K dual channel one and the video quality was no where near the advertised 2K resolution. While the video was good enough when I had to use that for insurance once the quality was not what I would call premium.

You are better off with a cheaper brand like Viofo and they will serve your purpose. Just make sure which ever you buy has the ability to access the dash cam via your phone. And buy a high endurance SD card for the dash cam.
This is not actually true of the top brands. While many of the "4K" dashcams from no name brands are actually upscaled from lower resolution, the top name brands actually have 4K sensors that capture in 4K. The highest quality models, I linked a video review above.

Your perception of lower resolution is because of compression (which is configurable in some cameras) and because of the pixels for a given field of view.

This video explains the issue very well about capturing license plates. The issue isn't because the cameras aren't actually giving "true" 4K, it's because even with 4K, the wide FOVs of most dashcams mean there aren't many pixels on the actual license plate (which is probably the main detailed thing most people are trying to capture). The video shows even with a lower resolution camera, having a zoom lens means license plates can be better captured than a wide angle 4K one. The best solution is probably to have dual lenses.