Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking advice on buying high mileage p100d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve found a very high mileage unicorn P100D with 185k miles. Normally wouldn’t consider a car with this many miles but this one looks in really good shape and has the following:
  • Unlimited mile warranty on battery and motors until the end of 2024
  • Upgraded to MCU2
  • Unlimited supercharging
  • Full self driving
  • Nice aftermarket wheels with decent tread life
Would you take a risk on this and what price point would you target?

What about this car makes it a unicorn?
I think it's a 2016 P100D which means it might have a SC01 option code so Supercharging should be transferable to the new owner.

Couple of other things:

(1) Do you know if any of the door handles have been replaced with newer generation ones?
(2) Do you know if the owner has purchased the optional Enhanced Anti-Theft? (View Details)
(3) With that high of milage, do you know when the HEPA filter was changed last? Parts are available separately so you can do it yourself I you so choose (View Details)
(4) Can you ask the owner if he can share the part number label for the battery pack? You can find it under the passenger wheel well on the corner of the battery pack. The owner may need to raise the suspension to the highest level.
(5) The P100DS supported launch mode, and if you performed it many times Tesla would need to replace the drive units under the HV battery pack/drive unit warranty. you should ask the owner how many times Tesla has had to do that?
(6) When the owner completed the MCU/2 upgraded, did he/she pay extra for the new radio option with MCU/2, or was that skipped?
(7) Full Self Driving - Did the owner need to have all of the cameras upgraded to support Full Self Driving?
(8) I assume that with the MCU/2, that he/she had the HW2 computer upgraded to the FSD computer.

to start you'll have FSD $15k FUSC $? priceless imo (pay per use supercharging is expensive especially in California. .56kw peak time 10am-10pm .28kw off peak) so if you drive a lot can be $1000's a year. also Free premium connectivity its now $10 a month. have to ask all those questions from replies above also ask about suspension half shafts been replaced does it shudder? don't have to worry about HV battery or DU's for another 28 months. what is the sellers asking price? if everything checks out ok and you can get it for $40k or less go for it.

to start you'll have FSD $15k FUSC $? priceless imo (pay per use supercharging is expensive especially in California. .56kw peak time 10am-10pm .28kw off peak) so if you drive a lot can be $1000's a year. also Free premium connectivity its now $10 a month. have to ask all those questions from replies above also ask about suspension half shafts been replaced does it shudder? don't have to worry about HV battery or DU's for another 28 months. what is the sellers asking price? if everything checks out ok and you can get it for $40k or less go for it.
Thanks I will check on these things

I think it's a 2016 P100D which means it might have a SC01 option code so Supercharging should be transferable to the new owner.

Couple of other things:

(1) Do you know if any of the door handles have been replaced with newer generation ones?
(2) Do you know if the owner has purchased the optional Enhanced Anti-Theft? (View Details)
(3) With that high of milage, do you know when the HEPA filter was changed last? Parts are available separately so you can do it yourself I you so choose (View Details)
(4) Can you ask the owner if he can share the part number label for the battery pack? You can find it under the passenger wheel well on the corner of the battery pack. The owner may need to raise the suspension to the highest level.
(5) The P100DS supported launch mode, and if you performed it many times Tesla would need to replace the drive units under the HV battery pack/drive unit warranty. you should ask the owner how many times Tesla has had to do that?
(6) When the owner completed the MCU/2 upgraded, did he/she pay extra for the new radio option with MCU/2, or was that skipped?
(7) Full Self Driving - Did the owner need to have all of the cameras upgraded to support Full Self Driving?
(8) I assume that with the MCU/2, that he/she had the HW2 computer upgraded to the FSD computer.
Thank you so much this is all really good advice. You’re correct that it’s a 2016 with a December manufacture date. Assuming it comes back clean on all those areas what is the most you’d pay for it?

Thank you so much this is all really good advice. You’re correct that it’s a 2016 with a December manufacture date. Assuming it comes back clean on all those areas what is the most you’d pay for it?
I have no idea. I can tell you I have a 2017 P100D and I WOULD NEVER give it up... Supercharging for life, free connectivity for live, FSD Computer + Beta Software, MCU/2 Upgrade (no radio as I don't listen to radio), Enhance Security Installed (important in the Bay Area)... It's priceless in my mind.

I do have the door handle issue on the driver side, but I don't plan to replace it as it acts like a Model X now. Light tap on it, and it pops out about 2 inches and the I can grab it. Even though it's not working as designed, it's pretty cool that I can just tap the handle and it pops out a 2 inches.

Ohh yeah, and one last thing. On the current owners latest version of their Tesla App, at the bottom of the screen for this P100D there is a specs and warranty. Tell him to go into it and then there are two additional tabs. One called "Specs" and one called "Warranty". Tell him to screen grab both for you before you confirm purchase and keep those handy. For example, mine looks like this (and yes I did purchase the extended 4 year warranty 30 days before the factory one ended).

Attachments

• IMG_4745.PNG
    IMG_4745.PNG
    199.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4746.PNG
    IMG_4746.PNG
    198.8 KB · Views: 121
Ohh yeah, and one last thing. On the current owners latest version of their Tesla App, at the bottom of the screen for this P100D there is a specs and warranty. Tell him to go into it and then there are two additional tabs. One called "Specs" and one called "Warranty". Tell him to screen grab both for you before you confirm purchase and keep those handy. For example, mine looks like this (and yes I did purchase the extended 4 year warranty 30 days before the factory one ended).
Thanks I do have both those screens from the seller already. Really appreciate all the help!

Do a search in the for sale section on this forum, search auto trader, cars.com, etc to get an understanding what they are listed for.
Based on my research when I was looking a couple months ago the car you describe would probably be listed for around 70k, if you start by negotiating at 60k and end up somewhere between 65-70 I'd say you got a decent deal in today's market. But of course it is very subjective and plenty of people will disagree and say no more than 40k
Here is a recent comparable:

Reactions: splffgates
it has a extended warranty until September 2025 plus the HV bat. and DU's warranty until September 2025 that's 3 years left for pretty much everything except tires that is covered under warranty. I would agree with Lukez above $60k would be a reasonable price. if seller is around that price I wouldn't wait to long or it will be gone

it has a extended warranty until September 2025 plus the HV bat. and DU's warranty until September 2025 that's 3 years left for pretty much everything except tires that is covered under warranty. I would agree with Lukez above $60k would be a reasonable price. if seller is around that price I wouldn't wait to long or it will be gone
That warranty is someone else's car in this post, not the OP. His is 185k miles.

I would add -
185K is a lot of miles. It can be a gamble on the battery.

I'd also want to know what was serviced on the suspension side. The suspension components are pretty worn out at that mileage and it's not a cheap fix. I just had to get the upper links replaced in the rear and it's an almost all day job since the rear subframe has to be dropped in order to do this.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4
80k miles. so I assume you have the extended warranty, otherwise it's not covered any longer under the manufactured basic warranty.

I bought it used from Tesla in 2020 with 45k miles, one of the last they sold with the 4 year, 50k mile used warranty.

OP, I'm still very curious on the current range. On price, personally I'd say between 45-55 imo. You may value the options more and be willing to go a little higher. I'll tell you my range is really low for a 100, only sitting around 275 for a full charge. Good luck!

Agreed the suspension probably needs an overhaul if it hasn't been done recently. I had to do mine at 80k miles and again at 170k. Easily a $4k job if tesla does it but you can diy for under 1k.
I wouldn't worry about mileage on the battery and motors other than range like someone else asked about. If you really want to dig in you could get the setup to use scanmytelsa on it and see the battery balances.