TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Seeking advice on Mohave SC to Fresno SC trip

Discussion in 'California' started by Big John, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Big John

Big John Member

#1 Big John, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
  2. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Of course it depends what car you are driving! But yes you should be fine as long as you aren't driving a 60.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It is about 180 miles. If you have a significant headwind and/or are going 75mph or faster you may not make it. You don’t say what battery size you have. That would be useful information.

4. Big John

Big John Member

Model X 100D. Thanks all. Definitely doable.--Need to travel from Apple Valley to Grass valley. The Mojave to Fresno leg looks to be the longest distance between SCs.--First long trip.

5. cpa

cpa Active Member

As an aside, in California we spell Mojave with a "j." Only those native to Arizona use an "h" for their place name.

6. Big John

Big John Member

well I’m going to try it today. I have a MX 100D. A 3.5K elevation climb up to Tehachapi but downhill from there. Plus if there is wind, it will be a tail wind going west to east. There is a destination charger at a pizza place between. I may stop if around meal time. Leaving from Grass Valley noonish. If you are driving from Bako to Tehachapi and see a White X on the side of the road, its me!!

7. Big John

Big John Member

Back from first extended road trip. Apple Valley to Santa Maria to Grass Valley and Back to Apple Valley. Trip was a pleasure. Superchargers great--ate way too much at stops. Long trip from Fresno to Mojave went well. Route plovers wanted me to avoid 99 and go 5. About an hour longer. Only the in-car trip planner had me taking the 99 through Fresno and Mojave. Because of the 4.5 K elevation I did 3 things. Charged my Snowball to 285 mile range at Fresno. Last 15 miles of SCing takes a long time. 2. Put car in Range extender mode and 3. Limited speed to speed limit. 180 mile uphill trip was a breeze. Finished with 90 miles of range in the tank. Snowball is an amazing car. Got to figure a healthier way to eat when I travel by myself:)