Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Advice on Purchasing 2018 MS 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current Tesla (2013 MS 85) was involved in an accident and the repair estimate made it a total loss. I'm considering looking for a used MS or a new MY though my personal preference is a MS. Looking in the 50-55k range so a new MS is too expensive (my current 2013 was bought used in 2018).

I bought the 2013 MS 85 used from Tesla and it came with a 4 year/50k warranty which was nice because most issues I had (door handles, drive unit, control arm) were serviced under warranty. Tesla doesn't have much stock of used MS and they only come with 1 year warranties now. 3rd party dealerships I assume won't have any warranty and private sales won't have warranty.

I'm worried about repair costs with the the 2018 (or 2019) MS 100D and wanted to ask if there are common things that break or need to be repaired or replaced with these models.

We have a used Tesla ‘17 MS 100D, purchased directly from Tesla. In my 2 years of ownership I have had no issues with the door handles, drive units, battery or headlight LEDs. My warranty claims include frunk actuator replacement and AP/FSD camera replacement/upgrade. I have replaced the rear camber and toe arms with n2itive components, including the lowering links to correct the Drive line shudder; highly recommend!!

In the ~45k miles we have put on the MS, no real issues. FSD drove into a sizable 18-wheeler tire on the highway in an unlit section of road at 85 MPH (posted speed limit). Cracked the front bumper which was replaced under Insurance.

I’d suggest a solid purchase inspection and test drive on your terms; don’t let Tesla drive that process and hold them to their standard. If you aren’t sure of their standard, ask. Good luck!!

Reactions: turtlebud
Tesla doesn't have much stock of used MS and they only come with 1 year warranties now.

Well, to be clear, you get the remainder of the factory warranty + 1 year/10k miles. So for example, we just bought a used 2021 -- its factory warranty expires November 2025, and then the used warranty adds one more year, taking us to November 2026.

So, just shy of 3 months' difference between this used 2021 and if we bought a brand new 2023. We got very lucky on that front.