Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking advice on Roadster for sale on Bring A Trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I currently own a model x. And just saw a roadster for sale on bring a trailer (car auction). Might sell for a good price. 2008 Tesla Roadster Can anyone help me out. Do you know this car? Will my current UMC work with the roadster. Any idea of the range I should expect on 90% charge. I would probably use the car as a daily driver. Also how is reliability? Thank you

According to the other listing, it comes with the CAN-JR, which will allow charging from a public J1772 station. You would need to get the CAN-SR in order to use your UMC for charging. (Contact @hcsharp for details.) But, it also seems to include a Roadster charger, so perhaps you could use that instead, depending on your home's wiring.

Roadsters don't have control of charging to the fine level that the S/X/3 do. A Standard charge takes you to about 83%. A Range charge (not recommended for frequent use) goes to about 94%. So, your "90%" would be the 83% level, and depending on battery health, should net you about 160 to 175 miles of Ideal range. (Range charging, and driving in range mode, would put that to something over 200 miles.)

I got my Roadster about 4 years ago, and have used it as my daily driver ever since. Eminently practical in that regard, and also a lot of fun. Before I retired, I charged at work (which was free), and that easily covered a round-trip or two. That said, these are hand-built, limited production prototypes, so reliability is not necessarily its strong suit. The 1.5, however, tends to be better than the 2.x in that regard, and as long as you're not living in the jungle, it should be fine.

My only caution flag is the sales history. Seems to be about half of what they should go for, and that trips my warning flag, if indeed it could sell for that price. Why so low? It seems to have been sold and resold many times recently. Why?

Thank you for the info. The price will go up as the clock counts down. Usually see a lot of last minute bids. Model x is my Gf car and I drive Sl Mercedes but I really like Tesla. Been waiting for a inventory deal on P100dl but I like the way the roadster looks. From what I understand no Supercharger support with the roadster?

From what I understand no Supercharger support with the roadster?
Correct. No Supercharging. CHAdeMO and CCS DC fast charging is also not available, though there is (was?) a CHAdeMO retrofit (way more than an "adapter") that was created by a 3rd party.

The Roadster pre-dates pretty much all of the current EV support infrastructure, since it pretty much started the current EV revolution. I think the only native support is the 120v outlet, and the 240v outlets (10-30, 14-50) via the Roadster mobile connectors (predecessor of the S/X/3 UMC).

This car has 77k miles. Anyone experience with a high mileage roadster?

Yup. I'm at 9+ years and 147K on mine.

As others have pointed out, things break on the Roadster. I've had my PEM die (which seems to happen to them all eventually), had problems with the fans, constant TPMS failures (don't get me started on how bad the TMPS is), had the trunk get stuck closed, had an original battery get replaced, and a bunch of other stuff. So expect to have it in for service.

That said, it's still going strong. It runs fine most of the time. It's not really showing signs of wearing out, other than with the battery degrading (see the 3.0 battery degradation thread if you want to know about that in very painful detail).

• Informative
Reactions: Oricle
117k on mine, didn’t even flinch at a high milage car, some low milage cars are just as likely to have issues. I know mine had many many long road trips. I don’t consider 77k that high. Most people don’t drive the battery’s range on a daily basis so no reason not to be a daily driver. Although I do feel the suspension joints take a battering it’s totaly worth it.

Honestly I get withdrawal when I don't drive the Roadster, especially when my other cars are a Hyundai Santa Fe and a Honda Civic!
Lol, I have a Porsche Cayenne S sitting in the garage that has not even been started since I got on a plane to Vancouver to pick up my roadster. I keep meaning to wash is to sell it but I cant bring myself to let it go just yet, but now my roadster has snow tires on it and the PIG does not.

Reactions: backmost