Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Advice on Tesla "Used Vehicle Warranty" Coverage for Specific Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Tesla enthusiasts,

I am seeking advice and guidance regarding the warranty coverage for my 2016 used Tesla vehicle. I am currently facing two issues, and I am concerned about the exorbitant costs that Tesla is quoting me to resolve them. I would appreciate any advice or experiences you can share, especially if you have dealt with the Tesla service team in similar situations.

1. Passenger Door Window: The passenger door window in my 2016 Tesla is not opening and closing properly. Although I understand that wear and tear can occur over time, I believe this issue goes beyond normal usage. Tesla is estimating a cost of approximately $700 USD to address this problem. Has anyone else encountered a similar issue with their older Tesla model, and were you able to have it resolved under warranty or find a more cost-effective solution?
  2. Passenger Seat Heater: The passenger seat heater in my 2016 Tesla is not functioning at all. Tesla is insisting on replacing the entire "ALL MS/X LEFT HAND DRIVE LEFT HAND CUSH TRIM ASSY LUX TAN part number 2111111-06-A" rather than just addressing the heater issue. This replacement is estimated to cost around $1500 USD. Considering the age of my vehicle, I find it difficult to accept that such a comprehensive replacement is necessary. Has anyone successfully resolved a similar seat heater issue with Tesla under warranty without incurring significant costs?
I would greatly appreciate any insights or recommendations from those who have experience negotiating with the Tesla service team or have extensive knowledge of Tesla's warranty policies. How did you approach the situation, and were you able to find a more reasonable solution or have these issues covered under warranty?

Thank you for your valuable assistance!

Hello fellow Tesla enthusiasts,

I am seeking advice and guidance regarding the warranty coverage for my 2016 used Tesla vehicle. I am currently facing two issues, and I am concerned about the exorbitant costs that Tesla is quoting me to resolve them. I would appreciate any advice or experiences you can share, especially if you have dealt with the Tesla service team in similar situations.

1. Passenger Door Window: The passenger door window in my 2016 Tesla is not opening and closing properly. Although I understand that wear and tear can occur over time, I believe this issue goes beyond normal usage. Tesla is estimating a cost of approximately $700 USD to address this problem. Has anyone else encountered a similar issue with their older Tesla model, and were you able to have it resolved under warranty or find a more cost-effective solution?
  2. Passenger Seat Heater: The passenger seat heater in my 2016 Tesla is not functioning at all. Tesla is insisting on replacing the entire "ALL MS/X LEFT HAND DRIVE LEFT HAND CUSH TRIM ASSY LUX TAN part number 2111111-06-A" rather than just addressing the heater issue. This replacement is estimated to cost around $1500 USD. Considering the age of my vehicle, I find it difficult to accept that such a comprehensive replacement is necessary. Has anyone successfully resolved a similar seat heater issue with Tesla under warranty without incurring significant costs?
I would greatly appreciate any insights or recommendations from those who have experience negotiating with the Tesla service team or have extensive knowledge of Tesla's warranty policies. How did you approach the situation, and were you able to find a more reasonable solution or have these issues covered under warranty?

Thank you for your valuable assistance!
Honestly, the prices you listed, seem pretty reasonable to me. There would be no warranty coverage for either problem on a 2016.

Have you specifically stated to them that you have a used vehicle warranty and you expected it to be covered by that warranty? Somehow Tesla does lose track of warranties etc.

For instance I bought a Tesla wall charger and after about 3 and 1/2 years it died on me. They told me there was no warranty on it and all they could do was sell me a new one. I got on this site and did some searching, because I thought it did have a 4-year warranty, and sure enough, they used to be sold with a 4-year warranty but weren't anymore. I had to find my original paperwork, scan that and upload that document and then they sent me a new one.

I wish it were different, but you simply can't trust Tesla anymore. The corporate culture has changed dramatically. Seems they will do anything to avoid helping customers, if it involves spending money. I am fortunate in that our local service center is excellent, and they really do try - for the most part. But some of the new people seem to have little to no concern for the customer. They think of us more as consumers. And they seem to think that we are interrupting their day when we ask for service. But most of the guys are good.

Have you specifically stated to them that you have a used vehicle warranty and you expected it to be covered by that warranty? Somehow Tesla does lose track of warranties etc.

For instance I bought a Tesla wall charger and after about 3 and 1/2 years it died on me. They told me there was no warranty on it and all they could do was sell me a new one. I got on this site and did some searching, because I thought it did have a 4-year warranty, and sure enough, they used to be sold with a 4-year warranty but weren't anymore. I had to find my original paperwork, scan that and upload that document and then they sent me a new one.

I wish it were different, but you simply can't trust Tesla anymore. The corporate culture has changed dramatically. Seems they will do anything to avoid helping customers, if it involves spending money. I am fortunate in that our local service center is excellent, and they really do try - for the most part. But some of the new people seem to have little to no concern for the customer. They think of us more as consumers. And they seem to think that we are interrupting their day when we ask for service. But most of the guys are good.
I'm really frustrated with the recent experience I had regarding my warranty. Back in March, they acknowledged the warranty and provided me with free service to fix several issues. However, this time around, they refused to offer the service for free without providing any reasonable explanation. It's incredibly disappointing and confusing.

To get some clarity, I decided to contact the main support hotline and verify the coverage details. Surprisingly, they informed me that the decision to provide free service or not is completely up to the facility manager. This has only added to my frustration. The warranty clearly outlines what is covered and what is not, so I fail to understand why the manager has the authority to deviate from those terms.

I believe it's unfair to leave such a crucial decision to the manager's discretion. It undermines the purpose of having a warranty in the first place, which is to provide customers with a sense of certainty and protection. The warranty should serve as a reliable guide, not as something open to interpretation.

I'm really frustrated with the recent experience I had regarding my warranty. Back in March, they acknowledged the warranty and provided me with free service to fix several issues. However, this time around, they refused to offer the service for free without providing any reasonable explanation. It's incredibly disappointing and confusing.

To get some clarity, I decided to contact the main support hotline and verify the coverage details. Surprisingly, they informed me that the decision to provide free service or not is completely up to the facility manager. This has only added to my frustration. The warranty clearly outlines what is covered and what is not, so I fail to understand why the manager has the authority to deviate from those terms.

I believe it's unfair to leave such a crucial decision to the manager's discretion. It undermines the purpose of having a warranty in the first place, which is to provide customers with a sense of certainty and protection. The warranty should serve as a reliable guide, not as something open to interpretation.

Sounds like a trip to a different service center is in order. And I'm actually surprised. Tesla does almost everything from the top down. Very few decisions are allowed to be made locally. I wonder if that person is even correct in what they state. Unfortunately we get a lot of that (misinformation) with Tesla Representatives as well.

Sounds like a trip to a different service center is in order. And I'm actually surprised. Tesla does almost everything from the top down. Very few decisions are allowed to be made locally. I wonder if that person is even correct in what they state. Unfortunately we get a lot of that (misinformation) with Tesla Representatives as well.
Thank you for your reply. Looking for someone with same situation as mine.