TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Seeking Advice: Premium Interior worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by blueinsofla, Jul 3, 2015.

1. blueinsofla

blueinsofla Member

Hi All - new to the forum...Just ordered a Model S 70D and trying to decide whether or not the premium interior package is worth the price of admission. I ordered grey next generation seats, panoramic glass roof and interested in opinions on which color headliner I should go with (I know the black requires the premium package).

Thnx and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but sales guy tells me that I need to make a call on this by tomorrow, so any and all advice is welcome and very much appreciated.

Safe 4th of July to all!

-Blue

2. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

#2 eye.surgeon, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    I'm glad I opted for it. It improves the interior from loaded Camry level to mid-level German luxury.

Most others will tell you not to bother, based on my experience here.

3. AllenWong

AllenWong Member

For $3,000? No. The power liftgate is useful, but the rest are more for vanity, and vanity is rarely worth the price of admission (unless it is to you). Having said that, I have it, and I like the premium interior package. If it was hard for me to make $3,000, would I still get it? Nope. If $3,000 is easy to come by, then I'd get it. Power liftgate is just so useful in the modern day, especially when both my hands are holding groceries.

I have the black alcantara headliners and I rarely notice them. I'm more focused on the big tablet dashboard. It's another one of those vanity things that aren't useful. But of course, it depends on whether to find vanity useful or not.

4. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

I got premium interior. I thought the white alacantra looked weird with black interior. I think mine looks great, and I like those extra lights. I'd do it again for 3k. The extra lights are also quite functional when making turns and in a dark garage.

here is a picture of mine And she is blootiful!

notice the a pillars? Now see the a pillars on any other car with white headliner. They stick out like a sore thumb.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I have the premium interior, but it was standard equipment when my car was delivered. 1. It's now way too expensive for what you get. 2. The car looks very incomplete without it--especially at night. If I were to order a new car I would probably get it because of this.

6. Magus

Magus Member

Hands down I would get it again. The cornering lights are useful to maintain visibility for people walking, and send them a light. In urban areas it won't add a whole lot of light, but in darker areas it is more useful for seeing things. The lights are great all around. The interior lights are very warm. I saw another Tesla recently without Premium and it looked relatively cheap (non Premium package). The package also comes with chrome bits on the outside where the lights are. The lift gate is great.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't had a situation where I needed to test the fog lights yet, but even if a mild improvement I will take even a slight safety improvement. I think the Premium package is a great deal.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I find the cornering lights to be very useful at night in poorly lit parking lots and streets to show me where curbs and other low obstacles may be located. I do wish the cornering lights were brighter, but I'm glad I have them.

8. travwill

travwill Member

Agree with few on here already that it is worth it on this car, even though an odd pricey add on when it should just be already included:

Key:
    - remember it is the interior AND lighting package. the fog & cornering lights are included and really complete the lighting look of the car, and work well.
    - the lift gate is a must for several reasons; height setting is possible, and you can open & close with remote, perhaps some detection in future, etc.
    - the interior lighting is nice
    - the extended leather must be nice, from what i see the car feels & looks good with it and still is only sort of up to par with German makers, without it I'd agree your at Accord/Camry or less level.

9. GSP

GSP Member

I think the premium interior for $3000 is a good investment. There is quite a bit of content, none of it is needed, but all of it is nice. The power lift back is very handy and the package ought to help resale value as well. I think that I would get it before the pano roof or next gen seats.

GSP

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That alone will save thousands in repairs. I've found the cornering and fog lights to be useless, but perhaps they are better now.

11. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I love the black alcantra, the cornering lights are a little gimmicky but kinda cool, I like the fact that it has fog lights (looks only), and I love the interior lighting. Power lift gate was a must.

So yes, worth it.

12. tstafford

tstafford Member

I opted for it too but somewhat begrudgingly. I wanted the power trunk and the black headliner. Annoying that I couldn't at least get the power trunk without the whole package. But whatever. Wife kept saying to do it and not compromise given the overall cost of the car anyway. Probably right.

13. smilepak

smilepak Member

Ditto. The only worth piece in there is lift gate. I got it because I wanted black headliners and that was the only way.

The he nappa leather trim is useless. It's a very small area. The fog light ain't important.

For or me if I have to pick one and only one, I would get the pano roof or dual charger.

14. ahurst

ahurst Member

Does anyone have a photo of the interior at night with the lighting package?

15. smilepak

smilepak Member

Non pro photo will not do much justice as the lighting control and color temps might not be correct

16. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I agree with part of this. If I had to choose premium interior or pano, I'd choose the latter 100%.

If you can afford to get every package you want, I'd get the interior too (I stated why above). If you're trying to meet a certain budget, the interior might be the first package I'd drop.

17. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Pretty much no option is going to "help resale value". The depreciation on the $3,000 option is going to be probably worse than the overall depreciation of the car.

18. blueinsofla

blueinsofla Member

Thanks for all of the replies - based on the feedback (and my wife's blessing) I opted for the premium interior and lighting package, pano roof and black headliner.

Happy 4th to all!

-Blue

19. aus

aus Member

Without it, the interior quality isn't any better than a higher end Accord or Camry, other than the large screen.

20. smilepak

smilepak Member

Without the premium package, u still get the upgraded headliner, just no black color.