Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Advice: Premium Interior worth the upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too felt it was overpriced but opted for it anyway. No regrets. I like the extra lights in the interior, door handle lights, power lift gate and the alcantara surfaces and headliner.

It's funny that I only just noticed the cornering lights after 2 weeks of ownership when driving on some back roads with no street lights.

I ordered the premium interior- I agree that it's worth the money. The base headliner is identical to the one in my base Mini Cooper. It looks and feels like mouse fur- the color doesn't match anything else in the interior- actually, color isn't really the right word since it lacks anything resembling color. Imagine the absence of all color, and that's the color. We got the black alcantara (pronounced suh-wade), and I think it makes a huge difference.
The power lift gate is nice, and saves me from having to listen to my wife and kids slam it shut. I haven't seen the lights in action (interior or exterior), but I'm hoping the cornering lights will sort of function like the active headlights I've had in other cars (and which Tesla really should include).
The base Tesla is a relative bargain IMO, but the interior looks cheaper than a $20K VW Golf. (If you don't believe me, go look at one). The premium interior with Nex Gen seats and the Pano roof looks more like the interior of an $80K car should.

I'm hoping the cornering lights will sort of function like the active headlights I've had in other cars (and which Tesla really should include).

You'll be disappointed then.

They only kick on when you turn the wheel to a certain angle right or left. They've only kicked on for me driving in residential neighborhoods and making 90 degree turns.

I find the cornering lights to be very useful ...

I wish the cornering lights would come on with the turn signals (like most cars that have them) instead of or along with when the wheel is turned.

- - - Updated - - -

We got the black alcantara (pronounced suh-wade), and I think it makes a huge difference.

When I ordered my car, alcantara was only available on the P85, and just in white. Personally, I would have paid extra to have the cloth headliner that came standard on my car (although I did get all the other "premium" features being discussed here). The faux fur just doesn't do it for me.