Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Advice: Sticky J1772 Adapter Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
I have Clipper Creek J1772 EVSE at home I use to charge our LEAF, and the Tesla with the supplied adapter. It is becoming increasingly difficult to slide the adapter on to the J1772 plug.

Is it reasonable to apply a little dielectric silicone to the outside of the plug, or is something else recommended ?

Thanks!

Can you determine what is causing the interference? Is it the metal connectors, the plastic shell. Have you tried other J-1772 plugs and how do they work.

The connectors should be sized so that you don't need it. Is it possible that the cold is impacting it?

I have Clipper Creek J1772 EVSE at home I use to charge our LEAF, and the Tesla with the supplied adapter. It is becoming increasingly difficult to slide the adapter on to the J1772 plug.

Is it reasonable to apply a little dielectric silicone to the outside of the plug, or is something else recommended ?

Thanks!
I'd try cleaning it with WD40 (both the plug and socket). WD40 leaves a lubricating film.