Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking driver from CA to TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to fly to LA to pick up a 2014 P85 with AP1 and drive it home to Austin. But I'm getting some pressure from family to not make the drive, and not to drag my 9 year old on a 30-40 hour drive...so I'm considering shipping but also would consider someone driving. Although adding 1500 miles is not ideal, it's a very low mileage car so not a major concern.

Any thoughts on this? It's something I need to decide about in the next few hours since my flight is in 6 hours. I could also go over christmas with my girlfriend when I don't have my son, and make it more of a fun trip.

All suggestions welcome!

I think the drive would be a good way to get to know the car, and if you take the Christmas option with your girlfriend it could be a nice trip. Pace yourself and visit some places along the way. Look on plugshare for hotels with chargers.

Dragging along a 9 year old sounds like a miserable time for both you and your son.

I suggest you take the trip yourself, by yourself. If you're new to EV trips and an uneasy about it, I would think it less stressful with fewer people along, but maybe that's just me.

When do you need this done by? I'm in Houston. A road trip sounds like fun. If the timing works out just right for all of us and you're not doing it yourself, it could work. PM me with details.

Just have some good MiFi for his tablet to watch movies in back seat and youtube ;). As long as you don’t have to “rush” you’ll have a good 2-3 days to get home.

I added 1200 miles last week in very cold weather over 5 states/6 cities and had zero issues with charging and dealing with hotels etc. I just used an app called “plugshare” to top up overnight at hotels and have a full charge when I hit the road in the morning.

From here (SD to Austin) is about an 8 hour drive. Get an early start and plan on spending one night in a hotel. Your "fuel" will be free. You'll learn a ton about the car and AP1 while on the trip. Kids love adventure.

I know a guy who paid $2000 to have his P85 shipped from NY to LA (good for him), I would have driven, personally.

From here (SD to Austin) is about an 8 hour drive.

8 hours? I'm getting 18 hours on google maps.

I agree OP should drive it yourself to get acclimated with the car and charging etc. Xmas isn't too far off though so I'd encourage you to wait and do the trip with your GF.

That said I wouldn't mind making a trip like that and don't have anything going on this weekend. Shoot me a PM If you want to work something out.

Thinking about it, but also considering risks:
  • There's a stretch in NM, during this summer, I must have hit 1,000 bugs in a 5 mile patch -- won't be pretty;
  • Always a chance that a rock goes airborne, and scuffs up the nice finish (or chips windshield);
  • Extremely remote chance that head-winds leave me short on-charge, driving, esp., through Ft. Stockton, TX (though it _is_ downhill).

I think it would be great bonding time with the 9 year old. Just do it.

Sure.. if it is a made for TV Hallmark movie starring Rob Lowe. ;)

OP is leaving tonight for flight
3 hours drive to airport and thru security
3.5 hours flight
1 hour stuck in LAX Friday night traffic to get to hotel
Pick up car tomorrow morning
20+ hours driving + 6 to 8 hours of charging

OP was kind of spot on with his original post of 30 to 40 hours of driving/flying. I don't any 9 years old would think it is fun after 8 hours is my guess!

Reactions: Cowby
Sounds like an awesome road trip for you and your son. I have many great memories like this with my Dad and even though I am in my mid forties, he and I still road trip each time I buy a car. I am just hoping my next road trip will be for a Tesla. Just make the trip fun, and stop along the way to smell the roses and see the sights!

Thanks for all the replies! My 9 year old is ok to go if he gets to play video games. My girlfriend doesn't like to drive so if we go together I'd still be driving the whole time. If I get it this weekend, I can take her somewhere closer to home for a road trip for the two of us. I have TSA precheck so i sail through the airport if we go tonight. I also have Southwest points (many many of them) and he's my companion, so no cost for the flight. Also have a Marriott hotel free night, so can use that tonight when we get there. It's actually Orange County, not exactly LA. I put some feelers out on Facebook and a couple of friends have offered. I'm still on the fence and might consider flying someone to share the drive with me. I used EV Trip Planner to calculate the route.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
Thanks for all the replies! My 9 year old is ok to go if he gets to play video games. My girlfriend doesn't like to drive so if we go together I'd still be driving the whole time. If I get it this weekend, I can take her somewhere closer to home for a road trip for the two of us. I have TSA precheck so i sail through the airport if we go tonight. I also have Southwest points (many many of them) and he's my companion, so no cost for the flight. Also have a Marriott hotel free night, so can use that tonight when we get there. It's actually Orange County, not exactly LA. I put some feelers out on Facebook and a couple of friends have offered. I'm still on the fence and might consider flying someone to share the drive with me. I used EV Trip Planner to calculate the route.

Do it! The car is a hoot to drive, and you'll get very used to all the new EV stuff along the way.

A Better Routeplanner is, no pun intended, a better route planner that EV trip planner. Just don't try to use it on the MCU (the big screen in the middle of the car) as the browser is, well, not too great.

Completely second the idea of using a hotel with destination charging to stay the night.

Have a blast. My son (11) and I have lots of fun doing trips like these.

Reactions: 365gtb4 and TexLaw