Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking early M3 reservation and/or donations for Tesla raffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PeterK

Model X, 3 & Y Owner
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2013
Cambridge, MA
Hi all,
Led by Executive Director Mike Green with support from me and Alan (@Pollux), Climate Xchange (Climate XChange - Carbon Pricing Research and Beyond) will soon launch its second Tesla raffle (officially the Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle) in early April, with prize drawing on July 4. Grand prize will again be a well-loaded Model S (or Model X this time), with Federal taxes paid. Tickets will be $250 each, limited to 2500 tickets sold. Proceeds from the raffle will support CXC's carbon pricing education and research efforts. Full disclosure - I'm a board member of CXC's affiliate, Climate Action Business Association (www.cabaus.org).

But what if you don't win the grand prize? In the last go-round there were multiple runner-up prizes (electric bikes, electric yard equipment, electric/robotic cleaning equipment, etc.), but every winner requested the alternate cash amount instead. This time we're improving the 2nd through 6th prizes.

I have been in contact with a senior executive at Tesla who has agreed to officially transfer my first-day (about 11am, an hour after they opened) Model 3 reservation and deposit to a prize winner. So 2nd prize will be a very early Model 3 reservation and deposit, plus some cash to help pay for the car - and the Federal taxes on the cash and deposit. And of course, being an early reservation it's likely to qualify for the full $7500 tax credit, plus any state credits or rebates. So it will go a long way towards the car's purchase.

Now here's where we need your help.

First, we're seeking donation of one more early M3 reservation and deposit for the 3rd prize, along with some cash. 4th through 6th prizes will be cash only.

Second, we would very much appreciate any kind souls out there who would be willing to step up and make a significant tax-deductible donation to the cause (raffle ticket purchases are not tax deductible). CXC (Climate XChange - Carbon Pricing Research and Beyond) is a 501(c)3 organization focused on research and education to enable carbon pricing in Massachusetts and to support similar efforts in other states (17 and counting!). Our board is making financial as well as time commitments to make this happen, but we can't do it all ourselves. Please PM me if you are interested in learning more about supporting the raffle with a donation. And note that these donations get leverage - paying for car and other prizes that drives ticket sales to raise more funds.

Big asterisk: To avoid real or apparent conflicts of interest, donors to the raffle and their immediate family members (spouses, parents, kids) are ineligible to purchase raffle tickets - the same is true for CXC/CABA directors, employees and contractors. But lots of you already have Teslas anyway, right? :)

Note that Tesla has no affiliation with this raffle or our organization, and is not donating or subsidizing the Model S or X to be given away.

Thanks all for your help.
-Peter Kirby
CXC's Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle - Climate XChange

Reactions: dhrivnak
Wow - I hadn't realized this was an orphan thread with no responses. I did get a PM, however - and the donation of a first-day Model 3 reservation from a TMC member based in California (that narrows it down a lot :)). So thanks again to the donor, and to the many TMC members who bought tickets last year - we sold out 24 hours before the drawing!

We are now actively planning for the 2018 Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle, to be launched in September with a year-end (actually an hour or so into 2019) drawing. I will create a new thread soon and link from here. Stay tuned.

And thanks in advance for your support this year!

Peter