Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking experience - total loss from Flood (NY Metro)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welp, the storm dropped tons of water in the northeast and I wasn’t able to get to my car in time. Water subsided to where I could get into the vehicle. It made it just out of the garage and died on the road. Got my claim with insurance, but the state emergency needs to lift before tows can even start doing their job.

Anyone have a total loss experience? Curious as to what I can expect from insurance? I (had) a 2018 Long Range Model 3 with Enhanced Autopilot and unlimited premium connectivity. (Options they don’t even offer any more)

Does the reimbursement account for software upgrades?

I don't know the answer, but this is an interesting question. I assume that you should get some additional money from the insurance company to make you whole because you purchase these options. What does Blue Book or other used car estimation sites how these options change the value of your car? My guess is that is what you would get.

You don’t know if it’s a total loss yet. I think you’re jumping ahead too far here. Wait for a mechanic’s assessment. Personally I thought these battery boxes are water tight. Might be something simple.

(Geico Insurance)

closing this out - car was a TOTAL LOSS. They tried to short me on the value (had to push back twice, as they weren't giving me the going market rate for a similar used 3). They were also deducting $ initially because of the premium color options, even though mine was also a premium color option (blue). So for example they saw on the tesla website it's an extra 1K for Red, they'd deduct 1k from the assessment. I squashed that.

They also tried to depreciate the enhanced autopilot.

I was able to tell my sob story to a Tesla showroom rep, who befriended me. When I eventually put in an order for a new Model Y, he told me to call him so he'd put the order in through his end, showing it was done at the Tesla showroom. 24hrs later he called me to tell me he had a customer who denied delivery due to financing issues (same build as mine), and if I could take delivery in 3 days the car was mine.

So now im a proud owner of a MYLR!