Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Feedback from All Model S Owners…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model is a fabulous car. I've had some issues with noises in the panoramic roof which was fixed by Tesla.

But, my car and quite a few others have one big flaw. And that is the loud balloon squeal at high throttle. Tesla knows what it is but won't fix it.
There was a couple threads on this. Most seem to think it was worm gears in the motor, if I recall correctly.

Of course you can only keep on the "high throttle" for about 8 seconds before hitting speeds that'll get your drivers license taken away in most states... but I wouldn't call that a complaint per se.

I poured oil in the frunk and made a mess. But it mixed well with the antifreeze I'd poured in a while before.

The Model S remains as unique compared to gas cars as gas cars are to a bicycle. Nothing against bikes. Or comparisons. But gas cars don't hold the muster anymore. Really.
Think. Different. Paradigm.

Best car I ever owned or drove. 'nuff said.

^^^This^^^

So first, welcome to the forum.

The issue wasn't if it was legitimate to ask. The issue was that IF you ask only for negative information, you shouldn't be surprised if people think you're writing a negative article.

If you haven't read the constructive complaints (or flat out non-constructive, for that matter!), then you still have a lot of exploring to do on the forum. We've had many, many threads on what needs improvement, what people would change, what problems they're having, and so on. It's all out there. If it's buried under the weight of the glowing comments, it might be because the Model S deserves all the awards it has won. But there is still room for improvement. (Lack of properly placed cupholders and interior storage space seem to be the number one issue, btw.)

^^^AND This^^^

Frankly, nothing annoys me about the car. Car Of The Year, Consumer Reports, NHTSA rating, see the car, drive the car etc... It's still selling itself off the shelves.
Ironically, if you want to hear/read about annoyances; this forum is a great place to be. There are at least 6 months worth of posts of this type. Just do some reading if that's what you want. I'm guessing you wont find out anything in this thread that hasn't been tortured to death in other threads.

As far as the possibility of negative press, blogs etc... Good luck with that to whoever. It's gonna be an uphill climb. The car is a revelation. We can't be stopped.

Full disclosure: My beautiful, and brilliant wife; who firmly believes that "I'll put my makeup on, on the way" is a time management technique, thinks there should be a lighted vanity mirror on the passenger side.:smile:

Thanks, helpful!

Absolutely zero wrong with the original question - people are quite sensitive on this and TM forums.

What annoys me:

1. Door/Frunk/Trunk seals - when car gets wet or washing it, lots of water remains 'hidden' within the doors/trunk/frunk etc leaving pooling of water at various places, or after a wash, streaking
2. No coat hooks
3. No back seat cup holders or storage of any kind
4. Front cup holders are in terrible location IMO, usage basically means I have no arm rest.
5. Design of Pano Roof - mine has had to go in 5 times to get repaired for noises/creaks/leaks.

None of this would prevent me from getting the car again, but these things appear to have been either over looked or not deemed important by TM.

This list is helpful, and these do seem to be things I've been reading. The pano roof issues is something I wasn't quite aware of, but given that it increases head room by about 2" I think I'm going to have to get it and hope any problems are fixed easily.

- - - Updated - - -

This list is helpful, and these do seem to be things I've been reading. The pano roof issues are something I wasn't quite aware of, but given that it increases head room by about 2" I think I'm going to have to get it and hope any problems are fixed easily.

typo

Absolutely zero wrong with the original question - people are quite sensitive on this and TM forums.

What annoys me:

1. Door/Frunk/Trunk seals - when car gets wet or washing it, lots of water remains 'hidden' within the doors/trunk/frunk etc leaving pooling of water at various places, or after a wash, streaking
2. No coat hooks
4. Front cup holders are in terrible location IMO, usage basically means I have no arm rest.
5. Design of Pano Roof - mine has had to go in 5 times to get repaired for noises/creaks/leaks.

None of this would prevent me from getting the car again, but these things appear to have been either over looked or not deemed important by TM.

* Handles are supposed to pop out when I walk to the car... 10% of the time this does not work
* You have to be careful closing the frunk and it always takes me a few tries. It's annoying when other people are doing it and I have to make sure they don't slam it
* App takes a couple minutes to connect (trade-off with vampire loss)

^^
*Handles used to pop out much quicker on earlier firmware but they also would pop out much too frequently when walking ~ 25 feet away from the car with no intention to use it
-sort of a tradeoff but now they are much less sensitive and I need to jiggle my key in my pocket sometimes

after having S for >1 year:
dislike driving near other cars (noisy and smell bad)
hate driving in Ice's
even more so hate driving Ice's (especially in traffic or hills. or accelerating)

rear seat entry takes some getting used to + possibly the front too (...I have seen some people struggle getting in) nothing like a roadster though ;>

closing frunk when icy or wet (cold & slippery) + I use a knee and hand If I am carrying something, so wet knee

more of the cars parameters should be available to view for the user (battery temp/ where or what power is being used for)

never had pano issues but service said they made it quieter(wasn't noisy before)

trip planning necessary (at least for another year) + all SC's ~ 200 miles from me so after degradation?
no SC support shown for coastal CA route :<

I actually like the cup holders in the S better than other cars. We were just 'given' a 535i (to upgrade the ls430) and cup holders are in the way of climate controls.
Ls cup holders were really loose and in the way of the armrest somewhat (both cars lag and feel really sloppy compared to the S.)

sound in the BMW is better than the sound studio in the S

driving the BMW sucks

Last edited:
My Model S has rear cup holders. Tesla made and installed:

Shop Tesla Gear 2nd Row Cup Holders

I knew someone would make this comment, so let me re-phrase given I know of no auto manufacturer that doesn't supply these as standard - although I'm sure someone will come out of the woodwork and provide one random car that doesn't come with these standard.

3. No rear seat cup holder standard rather than having to pay over $100 extra, aftermarket for them.

- - - Updated - - -

* Handles are supposed to pop out when I walk to the car... 10% of the time this does not work
* You have to be careful closing the frunk and it always takes me a few tries. It's annoying when other people are doing it and I have to make sure they don't slam it
* App takes a couple minutes to connect (trade-off with vampire loss)

I concur with these as additions to my list...

- Front cup holders. Right around where my elbow rests. Really?! Worst location ever. Imagine if someone had Starbucks coffee there and either the driver or passenger elbows it.
- Passengers trying to "open up" the center center console area where the front cup holders exist to see if you can store things in there. Uhmm... that doesn't open.
- Air leaking out those little front triangles on the front left and right windows. I noticed it more in cold weather, but it's minor. Service center told me that newer door seals are coming, but not yet available until next year. And I should wait.
- Multiple trips to the service center for mostly minor things that generated more minor things. First was misaligned doors which came back with chipped paint and minorly-scratched chrome, which required partial repaint and replaced chrome that was even more scratched, which I then came back later to my next appointment to replace the chrome only to find out they didn't have the replacement chrome yet... <sigh> I've been patient and not too upset because they're only 15 minutes away and I don't mind driving around.
- Dizzying effect when the pedal goes down starting from a standstill. When I'm driving it, it's not so dizzying, but when others do the same thing, I feel a bit nauseated. I guess I never noticed it with ICE cars due to the jerkiness with gear shifting and rumbling, but the MS has such smooth acceleration it's a little weird. I would say the dizziness is more a personal problem than a car problem. :frown:
- Annoying part: I get the occasional challenger at the stoplight jerking the car and making loud noises egg-ing me on to a race. The fun part: I've obliged them when no one else is around, but my Model S can't respond with similar noises saying "let's do it!" Instead, the Model S just sits there and, when green, stealthily achieves lift-off. A few don't even know the race started since the Model S doesn't make such ICE noises during heavy acceleration. It's a minor problem... I can live with it. :smile: "Don't mess with the S." :biggrin:
- A couple people staring at the car WHILE DRIVING when they should be paying attention to the road. One near accident as a result of a driver not paying attention as his lane was merging into mine. His head was literally out of his window staring at the car as he passed me on the right only to brake hard later. Another one was a guy staring at me in his rear view mirror while driving. I've end up being even more attentive to other drivers on the road when driving the Model S. Now that there's a service center nearby, I hope we'll see more Model Ss in my area. Unattentive drivers can be scary.

-
- Air leaking out those little front triangles on the front left and right windows. I noticed it more in cold weather, but it's minor. Service center told me that newer door seals are coming, but not yet available until next year. And I should wait.

I have had my SC try to address this multiple times to no avail. May I ask if your SC is telling you that TM knows there's an issue and is working on it, could you provide some info here so I can relay it to mine? This is very annoying as its VERY cold here and causes quite a draft.

What annoys me:

2. No coat hooks

I think this covers most of my biggest annoyances. I'll add a few more minor ones:

1. When pulling the door handle (while in park) the steering wheel should collapse into the dash like every luxury car I've ever owned. Creating an "exit" profile is stupid, because it will remember your seat heater settings and HVAC setting, forcing me to always check that when I get out to make sure seat heaters or HVAC won't continue running for unnecessary amounts of time when I get out. Additionally, having to push "exit" and sit there and wait for the seat and the steering wheel to get out of your way is annoying. It's almost as annoying to have to push your driving profile every time you get ready to drive. Please Tesla, this is an easy software upgrade... just do it.
2. Paint scratches faaaarr too easily. I have black and it you look at it wrong, it leave scratches and swirls.
3. no cupholders in any doors, and the cupholders you do have are limited and in a bad spot. I've owned Acuras before and Hondas before that- plenty of cupholders in logical places.
4. Seats don't have enough side bolstering. period.
5. Interior appointments (in general) seem cheaper than other cars in this price range
6. Even the premium sound system doesn't live up to non-premium systems from other manufacturers in this same price range
7. Steering wheel motor and rear hatchback motor are pretty slow compared to other cars I've owned
8. No spare tire (buy some fix-a-flat and pray it will suffice if you have a problem)
9. The fan speed when the HVAC is set to auto always seems to default too low, even if you push the temps to either extreme and it speeds up.. it needs tweaking
10. Pano roof opens and closes very slowly
11. Lots of wind noise for a car in this price range (I have the pano)
12. Brake and accelerator pedal seem closer together than in any car I've ever owned. I'm a size 12 and sometimes find myself almost hitting the brake when on the gas.
13. USB ports will charge your phone very slowly. Pick up a cigarette lighter powered charger that does higher amps/volts and you'll be happier
14. No album art when streaming from certain apps on my phone (ex. Spotfiy)... and yes, spotify's API does provide this functionality, so the data is there.
15. The motorized door handles sometimes have minds of their own, I've had mine fail to extend and also try to retract while I'm trying to open the door.
16. poor visibility out of most of the windows (especially the back)- I do realize this is probably a trade-off with aerodynamics
17. no center arm rest for the back, and the aftermarket cupholders *ehm* STRAPS Tesla offers are a joke.
18. Still no factory center console to put important items like sunglasses, wallet, change, etc. Putting things in the cubby below the screen results in stuff on the floor when you initiate Tesla grin warp takeoffs. Additionally, there's NO concealed storage in this car other than the tiny glovebox to keep things for self defense... like my gun, extra magazines, and pepper spray. The glovebox is too far away for me for something that could save my life or somebody else's so I usually take it out and have it on the floorboard if I get into a bad area. When I'm seatbelted in, leaning over and opening the glovebox to grab it is a no-go. When seconds count that's too far away. I guess there aren't carjackings or criminals in Elon's world... well, except for the government criminals fighting him at every turn... hehe
19. I'd like to drive the car with creep turned off, but rolling back on hills so easily is silly in an "automatic." So I keep creep on.
20. Some of the body panel tolerances are not consistent on my car, particularly around the hood.
21. Callers complain about wind noise when using hands-free over Bluetooth, even with all the windows rolled up
22. I have tan interior, but my carpets and dashboard are still black.. not sure why the two tone. I live in the south, black+parked in the sun= hot as hell when you get in, especially with pano... forcing the need for tinted windows.
23. Floormats are cheap, and don't have an anchor to hold them to the floorboard, so they slide all over the place. (I think they have a retrofit to replace these, but mine wasn't done when I picked up in early Nov)
24. The rated miles is a joke. If you have 21" wheels and drive with the flow of traffic on the hwy, you won't get anywhere near what your car is telling you you'll get. Always, always leave yourself plenty of buffer.... and get the 85 battery if you can afford it, don't skimp on this.
25. Wheels are designed in such a way that they are magnets for curb rash, especially the 21" turbines.
26. Cruise control is not very smooth and isn't good to drive with (acel+decel) unless you want to set and forget to stay at one speed.
27. Windshield wipers aren't great... The highest speed isn't all that fast. In heavy rains, Rain-X on the windshield is a must.
28. The B-pillar design creates an edge that protrudes in such a way that not only pokes you on entry/exit, but causes excessive wear to already semi-frail interior materials. This is going to force me to put some type of covering over these edges to reduce wear. I'm a big guy, 6'2" 270lbs and there's no way to get in/out of the vehicle without scraping/rubbing that corner every time.
----------------------------------

I'm sure I could go on, but with all that being said- I itch to drive this car every single day... it gets me out of bed in the morning and onto the road to work faster than any car I've ever owned. Even on days I telecommute, I find excuses to run "errands" :p

I haven't had it that long (a little over a month) but I don't see this wearing off anytime soon. It is hands down the funnest car I've ever had to drive, which makes up for a lot of these minor annoyances... and the acceleration never gets old. Be prepared to become a speeder again like you're 16 :)

Last edited:
These are good additions, one i agree with:

I think this covers most of my biggest annoyances. I'll add a few more minor ones:

3. no cupholders in any doors, and the cupholders you do have are limited and in a bad spot. I've owned Acuras before and Hondas before that- plenty of cupholders in logical places.
4. Seats don't have enough side bolstering. period.
6. Even the premium sound system doesn't live up to non-premium systems from other manufacturers in this same price range
9. The fan speed when the HVAC is set to auto always seems to default too low, even if you push the temps to either extreme and it speeds up.. it needs tweaking
11. Lots of wind noise for a car in this price range (I have the pano)
13. USB ports will charge your phone very slowly. Pick up a cigarette lighter powered charger that does higher amps/volts and you'll be happier - I'll add to this that you can't charge an iPad using the USB's
14. No album art when streaming from certain apps on my phone (ex. Spotfiy)... and yes, spotify's API does provide this functionality, so the data is there.
17. no center arm rest for the back, and the aftermarket cupholders *ehm* STRAPS Tesla offers are a joke.
20. Some of the body panel tolerances are not consistent on my car, particularly around the hood.
21. Callers complain about wind noise when using hands-free over Bluetooth, even with all the windows rolled up - this can get pretty bad.
----------------------------------

I have had my SC try to address this multiple times to no avail. May I ask if your SC is telling you that TM knows there's an issue and is working on it, could you provide some info here so I can relay it to mine? This is very annoying as its VERY cold here and causes quite a draft.

The leak was minor to me since, in California, where I specifically live, it's not too cold and snow is non-existent (except this year... my first time seeing snow in my area). The leak was only noticeable when I put my hands near those triangles while driving in cold weather.

I can't quite exactly remember what the SC tech in Rocklin mentioned, but he did say a few folks have had mentioned this problem and he also mentioned that there were newer versions of the door seals but he did not have them, did not know when they would come in and could only guess some time next year before he would see them. He didn't mention the new door seals would fix the problem, but it may be worth it for me to just be patient for these newer door seals. It seems to me that the Rocklin SC has had a hard time getting things they need. They're at the sole mercy of whoever is supposed to satisfy their need for parts. I could only guess they have serious supply chain problems (not just the need for batteries).

Also, for the number of times I've had to leave my car there, I've only been able to get a Tesla loaner once. Their loaners end up being sold rather quickly. As a TSLA owner, yay! As a Tesla owner, boo! Even that first-time loaner I had borrowed was sold a few days after I returned it.

The leak was minor to me since, in California, where I specifically live, it's not too cold and snow is non-existent (except this year... my first time seeing snow in my area). The leak was only noticeable when I put my hands near those triangles while driving in cold weather.

I can't quite exactly remember what the SC tech in Rocklin mentioned, but he did say a few folks have had mentioned this problem and he also mentioned that there were newer versions of the door seals but he did not have them, did not know when they would come in and could only guess some time next year before he would see them. He didn't mention the new door seals would fix the problem, but it may be worth it for me to just be patient for these newer door seals. It seems to me that the Rocklin SC has had a hard time getting things they need. They're at the sole mercy of whoever is supposed to satisfy their need for parts. I could only guess they have serious supply chain problems (not just the need for batteries).

Also, for the number of times I've had to leave my car there, I've only been able to get a Tesla loaner once. Their loaners end up being sold rather quickly. As a TSLA owner, yay! As a Tesla owner, boo! Even that first-time loaner I had borrowed was sold a few days after I returned it.

Well when its 14F out, it gets cold quick! car is back in today to try to fix it...3rd time.

Under certain circumstances when the car is already unlocked, the handles will not present without pushing on one of them.

Otherwise, your fob may need a fresh battery, or the signal might be getting attenuated by change in your pocket. I've had that.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there any problems or small things about the Model S that annoys you?
Overall, how would you describe your experience(s) with your Tesla?

(Will compile and add to my blog) :rolleyes:

I've got 13,500 miles on mine. Best car I've ever owned, and I've owned some good ones.

The biggest "problem" is the way people constantly wave at me and give me the thumbs-up.