Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Feedback from All Model S Owners…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a bit concerned about the direction that this thread may take. The username, CultMusk, sounds like you're ready to bash Tesla's CEO and are looking for support for your efforts from owners. I placed my deposit in October of 2009 and waited (not very patiently) until Dec of 2012 for delivery.

I am extremely happy with the car and feel a sense of privilege every time that I get in it. It is dependable, beautiful, fast, comfortable, efficient, eco-friendly, a marvel of technology, and fun to drive. The biggest problem that I've had was an inoperable rear window - the service center sent a technician to my home on a Sunday to fix it. The service that Tesla owners receive is World Class! It annoys me that people are trying to find fault with the finest car ever made.

+1

I feel privileged and smart.

Are there any problems or small things about the Model S that annoys you?
Seems to have been designed by people who never lived in a cold, wet climate, and there are some annoying little things in really bad cold, wet weather, some of which can actually make the car unsafe to drive (insufficiently effective windshield wipers). I'm sure they'll work those bugs out... eventually.

The car is essentially perfect in summer.

Overall, how would you describe your experience(s) with your Tesla?
The only car I actually enjoy driving. Ever. I don't like driving, but I like driving the Tesla Model S.

It's THAT good.

The company has made a fairly large number of irritating mistakes, but with the best car ever, a car which is a decade ahead of its competition, they can afford to.

Seems to have been designed by people who never lived in a cold, wet climate, and there are some annoying little things in really bad cold, wet weather, some of which can actually make the car unsafe to drive (insufficiently effective windshield wipers). I'm sure they'll work those bugs out... eventually.

The company has made a fairly large number of irritating mistakes, but with the best car ever, a car which is a decade ahead of its competition, they can afford to.

Very good, honest summary.

Major things
- sound system sucks, needs a complete redesign, if you want to label the system "Ultra High Fidelity" you better be able to deliver 10Hz - 35kHz completely flat and uncolored

Minor things
- rubber seals for glass roof needs to be fused onto its guide with some type of epoxy instead of double sided tape
- cold weather driving needs to be better, defrost vent for side windows is needed
- prefer to have a passive vent (the forward motion of the car should be able to push air into the cabin without the blower)
- heated wiper blades should be standard
- heated rear seats should be standard ($18K hyundais have this)
- software for the music player needs to be better (this will be a software update without a doubt so it doesn't really need to be here)

Things i dont care about but should be on the car
- rear cup holders
- sunglass holder :)

its Rev 01 so its to be expected, this car is still better than anything ive ever been in and i used to work at a car dealer ship, ive driven everything.

For those of you who replied on this thread, you realize you are giving implied permission to the OP to use your posts (or only portions of your posts) on her blog (she did mention that was where she wanted to use the information).

I'm sure you're all aware and fine with that, just supplying a gentle reminder.

I am not comfortable sharing anything with the OP.

He can reprint this if he wants:
If you are looking for reasons for ICE drivers to continue to waste money, tell them not to worry about it. Feel free to be as indentured to mechanics as you want and continue buying engines of the past.

Guess what, none of the things that annoy us about our cars are found in an ICE car . Go buy one. Just make sure to remove the metal shavings from your oil filter after you get home from the dealership. (true story according to a dealer mechanic).

Why don't we focus on the number of things that a dealer can find wrong with an ICE car, the minute it arrives at their service center. You bring the car in for one thing and immediately the computer spits out 10 pages worth or recommended fixes with pictures. They know they can always find something wrong with any ICE car, and they are right. If that is not annoying, i don't know what is.

So funny, what are all you so afraid of? I've got a secret to tell you - the model S isn't perfect and neither is Tesla Motors. I know, its heartbreaking to hear out loud, but its true. Does that mean I want to see the company that I have supported financially for over 2 years fail? No. Does that mean I hate the car and the company that i've been going around in my area every weekend touting and speaking enthusiastically of? No. Do any of you have children? When your child makes a promise and then doesn't keep it, or when they don't live up to expectations, do you pat Timmy on the head and say, "no worries Timmy, youre perfect anyways".

Does it annoy me that I've been going around on weekends for the last what, 3, 4 months since Mr. Musk's 'greatest service plan ever' announcement, touting EV's and Tesla specifically saying how when I get my car serviced a loaded top of the line model will be waiting for me, and then when I bring in my car there are no loaners? Yep. Does it annoy me that when defending the company and car at weekly events proudly saying that by year end i'll be able to drive cross country for free and I likely won't be? (I won't even be able to drive from my hometown NYC to Philly using superchargers by year end) Yep. Does it bother me that after 3 visits I still have a drafty car that I've been told is 'normal'? Yep. Does that make me an incredibly difficult consumer whose expectations are out of whack? Nope. Did I set those expectations? Did I put those dates in writing? nope. Did I say, "We don't want to build the greatest electric car in the world, we want to build the greatest car in the world that just happens to be electric" Nope, Mr. Musk did.

As for nolngrgrsngside's comment about 'none of the things that annoy us about our cars....', I'd respectfully ask that he speak for himself and himself alone.

And just to reiterate, I do not want to see the company fail nor do I hate my car nor do I regret my purchase nor knowing what I know now, including these annoyances, would prevent me from buying the car again. Some of us just intend on doing what Mr. Musk himself has said should be done - hold Tesla to a higher standard. And he's right. When someone is trying to disrupt and completely reinvent the way of doing something that hasn't been improved or changed in decades, setting the bar no higher than the status quo isn't enough, it must be set higher to get mass adoption. That's what ALL of us owners want.

I don't think it is that people are afraid of anything ... I think that people are tired of media and others coming on the forum and cherry picking comments to serve their own agenda.

While I don't believe cultmusk has a negative agenda (I've checked out her blog, such as it is - you can, too. Do a google search on 'cultmusk'), I do believe that all the information she was seeking was here on the forum already. I'm a little worn out from bloggers and students coming on the forum wanting people to compile the information they want, instead of looking at the entire forum as the feedback they seek and doing their homework.

Again, no one is afraid of anything here. Read the forum. Plenty of negative everywhere. People have been very upfront with Tesla about what they want fixed. That is NOT the issue.

For those of you who replied on this thread, you realize you are giving implied permission to the OP to use your posts (or only portions of your posts) on her blog (she did mention that was where she wanted to use the information).

I'm sure you're all aware and fine with that, just supplying a gentle reminder.

Yeah -- I would tell the original poster, you can quote my comment in this thread, but don't take my quotes out of context. Fair quotes are fine, but none of the "You are giving... the OP... your... blog..." type of misquotes -- no cherrypicking every other sentence or anything like that.

I don't think it is that people are afraid of anything ... I think that people are tired of media and others coming on the forum and cherry picking comments to serve their own agenda.

While I don't believe cultmusk has a negative agenda (I've checked out her blog, such as it is - you can, too. Do a google search on 'cultmusk'), I do believe that all the information she was seeking was here on the forum already. I'm a little worn out from bloggers and students coming on the forum wanting people to compile the information they want, instead of looking at the entire forum as the feedback they seek and doing their homework.

Again, no one is afraid of anything here. Read the forum. Plenty of negative everywhere. People have been very upfront with Tesla about what they want fixed. That is NOT the issue.

If you don't want to be quoted of of context don't give quotes be they in person, online, and certainly not in public forums. Welcome to life :)

Yet to be determined. It may, it may not. But last I checked, you were not the person who would decide.

What I do know is that for some reason you appear to overreact on purpose to my posts. It's not the first time. It was noted on the center console pricing thread by more than one person. All I have to say is this: I've had enough recent real-life experience with someone who took this forum far too seriously to much care about posts. This is a car forum. It's pretty hard to get me upset over stuff posted here.

Happy Holidays.

I could provide a few nitpicks about cupholders, or touchscreen features I feel are missing, or how I wish the rear view mirror remembered my settings.

The biggest drawback of the Model S is that it makes me incapable of tolerating an ICE car anymore. I used to love a Porsche 911, a BMW M3, a Mazda Rx7. But now hearing the exhaust note of a sports car is just hearing the 19th century. Burning stuff is obsolete. It is caveman. It is pre-civilization. You might as well read by candlelight, treat your illnesses with leeches, and hoard your ambergris.
You can not imagine the precision of the Model S throttle unless you drive it, it goes instantly when you want it to, and once you drive it you can not forget it. The Model S cannot be unseen, it can not be undriven.
The mushy response of a gas pedal, the annoying clatter of an engine, the foul stink of gasoline, the ridiculousness of shifting gears - you can never again pretend that those things are character to be enjoyed.

Yet to be determined. It may, it may not. But last I checked, you were not the person who would decide.

What I do know is that for some reason you appear to overreact on purpose to my posts. It's not the first time. It was noted on the center console pricing thread by more than one person. All I have to say is this: I've had enough recent real-life experience with someone who took this forum far too seriously to much care about posts. This is a car forum. It's pretty hard to get me upset over stuff posted here.

Happy Holidays.

I think the only one over reacting in this thread is you :).

While I don't believe cultmusk has a negative agenda (I've checked out her blog, such as it is - you can, too. Do a google search on 'cultmusk'), I do believe that all the information she was seeking was here on the forum already.
Just one opinion...

Words like cult have meaning that carries forward when used in a user name. Does anybody here plan to drink poisoned punch? Or hold rituals? Or live in a "believer only" commune or compound?

Word choice matters.

While I agree word choice matters (don't get me started on THAT topic :)), I did look at her blog and it's mostly just a compilation of the work of others. It's pretty much a non-issue to me - just wanted to remind people that they were putting info together for a blogger.