Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking First-Hand Feedback for Exped Megamat v Millard Tri-fold v Dreamcase v Air Mattress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
Looking for people who have used both the Exped Megamat as well as a Millard tri-fold for their Tesla and can speak to comfort differences. Bonus points if you're used a Dreamcase or standard air mattress as well.

We have a Model S but I'm sure the comparison will remain the same other than fitment feedback for the other models. I figured this would be the best place to find people who have used these for first-hand reviews.

We've been using a queen size air mattress made for a p/u truck bed for years. Fitment is great due to the sides being shaped to stay within the wheel wells and comfort is just so so. It's fine for a night or two but for longer trips it's uncomfortable. We've made it work for years but are searching for the most comfortable night of sleep possible now.

It will need to sleep two so that pretty much rules out any of the twin options I've seen. Before I found about the Exped offering I was considering the Millard tri-fold mattress found @ Amazon. It seems like this reviews well where most reviewers are comparing it to full-size beds/mattresses at home where size isn't really a consideration. I figured if it compares well to the best options then surely it stacks up great against options that fit within a Tesla. I was planning to cut the sides to remain within the wheel wells to keep the mattress from "tacoing" up on us. The obvious downside is that once I do that we own it as I can't return it so I have to be sure it's going to work for our needs.

I like the idea of a Dream case but it's cost prohibitive and we've already got solutions for most of the issues it solves. If we were just starting out I may just buy that and be done with it because I like the ability to fold everything up neatly into one case and be done with it. My guess is that some comfort is sacrificed for this though and we'd rather have more comfortable and less portable if we're forced to choose.

Hoping some here can provide feedback as right now comfort is chief among our buying motives. I just don't want to spend more for something with similar or even inferior comfort.

Thanks for the input.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
Subscribed to learn about this. Haven't camped in my S yet, but would love to do so soon.

At the risk of derailing your thread (feel free to not respond to keep your thread focused on the mattress choice - I really like the Millard tri fold).

What is your thought process around packing stuff for a night or two at a campsite, knowing that everything has to fit on the front seats and frunk when you sleep at night?

Subscribed to learn about this. Haven't camped in my S yet, but would love to do so soon.

At the risk of derailing your thread (feel free to not respond to keep your thread focused on the mattress choice - I really like the Millard tri fold).

What is your thought process around packing stuff for a night or two at a campsite, knowing that everything has to fit on the front seats and frunk when you sleep at night?
We don't camp at campsites a ton but when we do we tend to go pretty light anyway. The front seats work well as does the funk like you mentioned but don't forget the space between the front seats and back seats. It offers quite a bit of space there too.

Back on topic, what size Milliard tri-fold do you run in your Model S? If queen, any modifications to make it fit better between the wheel wells or does it simply compress around them with no noticeable difference in density/support/feel those areas? Have you tried any of the other offerings I mentioned to compare?

We don't camp at campsites a ton but when we do we tend to go pretty light anyway. The front seats work well as does the funk like you mentioned but don't forget the space between the front seats and back seats. It offers quite a bit of space there too.

Back on topic, what size Milliard tri-fold do you run in your Model S? If queen, any modifications to make it fit better between the wheel wells or does it simply compress around them with no noticeable difference in density/support/feel those areas? Have you tried any of the other offerings I mentioned to compare?
I just assumed you camped a lot . What is your specific use case (where/when) for sleeping in the car?

I don't have a Millard - I just learned about it from your very informative post.😀

I've always wanted to get a mattress for the car, but can't justify spending close to $1k on a Dreamcase.

I just assumed you camped a lot . What is your specific use case (where/when) for sleeping in the car?

I don't have a Millard - I just learned about it from your very informative post.😀

I've always wanted to get a mattress for the car, but can't justify spending close to $1k on a Dreamcase.
We go actually camping semi-regularly (usually up in to the Rocky Mountains) and when we do we're often meeting friends who have larger campers. They tend to have the cooking stuff and larger items so we really don't have to worry about that. If you were looking to go camping solo and needed to pack all of that sort of stuff in I can imagine it would be much more challenging. That's where I think starting your own thread to solicit advice from those who that would be helpful. There's also a Facebook page dedicated to Tesla Camping that I joined (largely for insight on stuff like this though) which would also be a great resource for you. Our use case is that we road trip a lot (mostly interstate travel) so prefer to just sleep in the car most nights versus having to be tied down to a location and paying for a room. Just whenever we get tired, pull over and hop in the back to sleep. Often we'll seek out charging of some sort nearby as well. We typically do drop-ins at Crossfit gyms to get a good workout and typically we can find one with a shower so we can clean up and change as well. Then, every so often, we may get a room if we feel the need to do so. We've been using an air mattress for this that works well enough but it's not ideal. As I mentioned, we tend to side sleep and air mattresses aren't ideal for this as our hips will start to get a little sore after only a couple of nights. It's also a bit of a pain to keep the pressure right as well. I'm looking forward to upgrading this solution and it sounds like the Exped option is about the most comfortable available. Just looking for some input from others before I take the leap.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS