Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking help. Brand new M3 got damaged at service center :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

My new M3 just got damaged during service at Tesla service center. I only have 700 miles on the car. Its a brand new car. Loving it so much. I go to service center due to the trunk lid is broken and loosely during normal usage And vibration noise coming from driver side door panel while drving on some rough roads. Also install Homelink for my lovely M3.

When I pick up the car yesterday at Tesla service center, I find out there are dent on the driver side door panel and deep scartch on driveside B-pillar, which not there when I turn in the car to the service center.I believe those Damage must due to careless operating during the repair process.

The agent at service center told me their computer is down when I picked up the car yesterday, they can't verify the damage yesterday. So I went home. Today, I contact them, and they say the mobile team will conatct me to make appoinment for repair. And mobile team will contact me in 5 days. Not sure when my appoinment will be. And If I insist to repair at the service center, the agent told me I need to wait for end of the Nov to get repair. Really? This is how Tesla service take care their error? Let the car owner wait for them to fix their mistake?

Is this normal? Do you guys have any idea on the things like this? Why they can't repair their damage at their service center? Must be a mobile team to do this job?

I own mutiple BMW, and also I have have issues with their service in the past. The BMW service center just repair the issues immediate afrer I told the damage. Not like tesla want me to wait for 5 days to make appoinment with their mobile team. And god knows what appoinment time their mobile team will give me. I'm not very happy about the way that how Tesla take care their error. They should take this as a urgent matter.

I know this is not BIG damage. But still, definitely not should happen in service center. And they should take care it fast.

I will update in couple days. Lets see the mobile team will contact me or not and how the things gose.

Very sad right now. :(:(

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

If you can swing by and speak with a manager, calmly, on site, I hope you'll find a better resolution. My car has been damaged and they've rectified it with a later appointment. door dent is the worst, mine's kinda worse at the door pocket after glass replacement (I think they shut the door on something hard), but since I didn't notice till a few days after, it makes proof tough...

It's a sad thing to have happen but coming from other car services where this has happened, the response from those companies have been mixed. I think it's just super key to document the car with video/photos at delivery and do a thorough inspection upon pick-up. What really sucks is they damage parts of the car in areas unrelated to the service, so you end up needing to do two full-car inspections...and you'll still miss stuff...

Personally I've just had to let some things go and live a happier life...good luck!

The driver side door panel is a replaceable part that can be swapped out by mobile service. I have had mine replaced 3 times on my driveway.

Maybe they currently don't have the part in stock? You should ask them.

I actually think it would be beneficial to you to have the work performed by mobile service, because then you can watch them do it. The mobile service technicians are usually pretty friendly and it's good to chat with them while they are working on your car.

I know it sucks that it happened. There have been worse from other members who posted here.

• Informative
Reactions: tvad and DopeGhoti
ya that damage is VERY small. and from what you've said it sounds like they've agreed to fix it. I think your expectation of speed is unrealistic and quite frankly entitled. None of these issues are preventing you from using the car. your statement "But still, definitely not should happen in service center." is incorrect. I worked in graces in the early 2000's this kind of stuff happens all the time at every level of auto shop. Some are better than others at taking precautions but it happens and I'd say if what you've posted is accurate and complete the SC has done a pretty decent job by not trying to deny the issue and just agreeing to fix it. As to why they can't fix it at the service centre It's likely not that they "Can't" but that you'll get faster service having a mobile tech do it as there's nothing in the fix that requires it to be in a full service bay.

it looks like both are inside pieces? If so, Mobile should be abel to swap them out with new replacements, which are mostly plastic. Sucks, but at least no external body damage.

fwiw: Mobile might come out and then have to order parts. That happened to me when they were fixing a scratched console (from initial delivery). The first guy special ordered the part and came back 3 days later to install it.

As an aside, I've had issues with my former Jag, when I didn't notice the issue until I got home, and it would take a couple of weeks to get back into the queue.

If you can swing by and speak with a manager, calmly, on site, I hope you'll find a better resolution. My car has been damaged and they've rectified it with a later appointment. door dent is the worst, mine's kinda worse at the door pocket after glass replacement (I think they shut the door on something hard), but since I didn't notice till a few days after, it makes proof tough...

It's a sad thing to have happen but coming from other car services where this has happened, the response from those companies have been mixed. I think it's just super key to document the car with video/photos at delivery and do a thorough inspection upon pick-up. What really sucks is they damage parts of the car in areas unrelated to the service, so you end up needing to do two full-car inspections...and you'll still miss stuff...

Personally I've just had to let some things go and live a happier life...good luck!

Thank you for the reply.

Right now, I may just wait for their mobile team to contact me... If no one contact, I will go find their manager..... Hope they are not going shirk on this.

Come on Tesla, back me up! I was plan to buy MS or MX in the near featuer, and alerady recommend your brand to all my friend and family...... Don't make me look like a joke,,,,,

I had pretty good repair experience with BWM serivce. They just keep the car if you find issues when you pick up, and repair it right the way. Never think Tesla will give me this kind experience.... Maybe because I'm not familiar with their process? But anyway they should not let owner wait a long time to get fix on a error repair right?

I totally agree your point. let some things go and live a happier life....

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The driver side door panel is a replaceable part that can be swapped out by mobile service. I have had mine replaced 3 times on my driveway.

Maybe they currently don't have the part in stock? You should ask them.

I actually think it would be beneficial to you to have the work performed by mobile service, because then you can watch them do it. The mobile service technicians are usually pretty friendly and it's good to chat with them while they are working on your car.

I know it sucks that it happened. There have been worse from other members who posted here.

Thank you for your reply.

Understand...

I ask the agent and she said just beacuse they are fully booked. So I must wait. Even this is not a normal repair case.

I will wait for the moblie service. You point is right.

Lets see when the mobile team will contact me and what appoinment time they will give me...

Thank you for the reply.
I had pretty good repair experience with BWM serivce. They just keep the car if you find issues when you pick up, and repair it right the way. Never think Tesla will give me this kind experience.... Maybe because I'm not familiar with their process?

I'll let you in on a secret. When they do this they're not fixing it right away they're getting you to go away. Dealerships that do this have plenty of storage space and typically pretty inflated rates for their technicians so they can eat the cost of a rental or loaner. So they toss you a loaner and keep your vehicle around until they're waiting on something else or parts arrive or whatever then they deal with your issue.

Reactions: tvad
ya that damage is VERY small. and from what you've said it sounds like they've agreed to fix it. I think your expectation of speed is unrealistic and quite frankly entitled. None of these issues are preventing you from using the car. your statement "But still, definitely not should happen in service center." is incorrect. I worked in graces in the early 2000's this kind of stuff happens all the time at every level of auto shop. Some are better than others at taking precautions but it happens and I'd say if what you've posted is accurate and complete the SC has done a pretty decent job by not trying to deny the issue and just agreeing to fix it. As to why they can't fix it at the service centre It's likely not that they "Can't" but that you'll get faster service having a mobile tech do it as there's nothing in the fix that requires it to be in a full service bay.

Thank you for the reply.

I see. Thank you for sharing your experience. I just feel hard to accept that my brand new M3 just got damaged at service center and need to wait a week or two to get it fix. Like I mention in the post... I had experience with BWM service that I can say it really not bad, they take care issues fast. Maybe I'm asking to much from Tesla, or I just not familiar with their way of customer service.

Thank you for the reply.

I see. Thank you for sharing your experience. I just feel hard to accept that my brand new M3 just got damaged at service center and need to wait a week or two to get it fix. Like I mention in the post... I had experience with BWM service that I can say it really not bad, they take care issues fast. Maybe I'm asking to much from Tesla, or I just not familiar with their way of customer service.

Ya see my other reply. Tesla is just fixing it instead of stretching the truth to give you good feels. Which I see as an advantage because good feels add cost everywhere

it looks like both are inside pieces? If so, Mobile should be abel to swap them out with new replacements, which are mostly plastic. Sucks, but at least no external body damage.

fwiw: Mobile might come out and then have to order parts. That happened to me when they were fixing a scratched console (from initial delivery). The first guy special ordered the part and came back 3 days later to install it.

As an aside, I've had issues with my former Jag, when I didn't notice the issue until I got home, and it would take a couple of weeks to get back into the queue.

Thank you for reply.

Yes, both are inside pieces. Thank you for sharing.

I'm in Irvine too by the way;)

I'll let you in on a secret. When they do this they're not fixing it right away they're getting you to go away. Dealerships that do this have plenty of storage space and typically pretty inflated rates for their technicians so they can eat the cost of a rental or loaner. So they toss you a loaner and keep your vehicle around until they're waiting on something else or parts arrive or whatever then they deal with your issue.

But at least they keep your car and guaranteed the repair right..

I'm not a big fan for" go home and wait for contact" you know..:(

That sucks!! I took my last car to Crevier BMW for repairs - which is one of the biggest BMW dealerships in the country. On three separate occasions they cracked my windshield, scratched the tint, and dented the rear bumper. This is why I never like bringing my car into service...

• Informative
Reactions: CMoZ
But at least they keep your car and guaranteed the repair right..

I'm not a big fan for" go home and wait for contact" you know..:(

Well the guarantee is no different. I try to always assume good faith until proven otherwise, it's a miserable existance doing the opposite. If I didn't hear from them I'd simply call and argue my case you have more weight to justify jumping the service queue at that point.

That sucks!! I took my last car to Crevier BMW for repairs - which is one of the biggest BMW dealerships in the country. On three separate occasions they cracked my windshield, scratched the tint, and dented the rear bumper. This is why I never like bringing my car into service...

Yup this is why I hate all the individual experience arguments on things, eg "I owned nothing but Hondas for 40 years and never an issue." You can be Lucky or unlucky sometimes consistently so, You have to look at overall numbers which are unfortunately difficult to get. Even just looking at experiences on a forum are extremely misleading because it trends towards particular demographics like people who are enthusiasts and sometimes extremely picky/critical, To people who already have an issue and are seeking a solution or help, etc.

Reactions: Akikiki and Adam3

Thank you for the reply.

Sorry to hear you had issues with Crevier BMW. I use Crevier BMW as my main BMW service center too. I have great experience with this delaership. They alwasy has loaner car. They take caer my M5 and X5M very good. Never had any issues with this dealership. Before I move in to Orange County, New Centery BMW gived me some issues in the past. But they take care it fast.

Did they take care it fast? or let you wait for couple week?

Tesla had to re-align my brand new M3P, stabbed the airbag cover and owned up to it when I picked it up about a month ago. They said they'd send mobile out when they got the part... never heard back and I setup an appointment in the app a few days ago. Mobile service was out within 3 days to fix it.

You can always go into the app and just describe what happened. You'd be surprised that you might get those parts easily replaced with no pushback. Just make sure you convey that this was their damage up front.