TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Seeking ideas for dampening wind noise

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by clmason, Mar 7, 2018.

1. clmason

clmason Member

HI All,

I'm at 2,500 miles on my 3 and loving it. A few small bugs so far but my biggest gripe is the wind noise when traveling at 60 MPH+. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for aftermarket wind noise dampening solutions.

I'm open to testing out ideas if anyone has any. Thanks

• Like x 1
  2. pcpro

pcpro Member

many complaints about this. I'd try your service center first...if you haven't already. There could be a number of things they can do (door and window seals for one).

3. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

My SC is going to try to address this by changing out the “Mirror Assemblies + Appliques”. I’ll know better in about a week or two.

4. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I have some wind noise coming from my A pillar area. I have contemplated getting some painters tape and taping up various joints in the area to narrow down what seam is causing it (My guess is the glass roof to windshield corner). Then I can take it to the SC and ask for a correction of the exact location of the problem.

Hopefully that would get me a better result than just a generic wind noise request.

• Like x 4
  5. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Where do you feel its coming from? Only had car for only a week but do not notice any wind noise? I do however feel drive unit is louder coming from rear than my MS?

6. clmason

clmason Member

I think its coming from the front left of the car, maybe the side mirror. At least for me as the driver, that's where I'm hearing it.

7. Oil Freedom

Oil Freedom Member

Since the M3 has a cabin microphone, plenty of speakers, and it's all contolled by the same system, maybe Tesla could develop an active noise cancelling feature. Ideally, it would be configurable (like the steering feel). Of course, it would have to only cancel out routine wind and tire noise and leave traffic / horn / speaking sounds alone.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  8. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Would love the system to have a "learning" mode where you drive it around at various speeds without making any cabin noises and it profiles your vehicle and applies the inverse (cancelation) sound!

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Now that is being proactive! Simple diagnostics can produce big results. I love it when women are more creative than we men! :p Happy Women's History Month.

• Funny x 1
  10. cab

cab Member

LOL...who is going to tell T3?

11. AMIYY4YOU

AMIYY4YOU Member

I work at a prestigious audio company in our automotive division and, just like in the headphone space, nobody does noise cancelling better than us :) We call it "Active Sound Management" to reduce all types of noise in the cabin (engine, road, etc.)

• Like x 4
  12. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

13. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Member

Rain? A car wash? *grin*

--Carlos "you mean damping" V.

• Like x 1
  14. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

Most noise cancellation systems work in frequency space for analysis and anti-noise of regular cadence sounds and would not need to do this. Plus the noise is different based on road surface, so would not be as effective as you might think.
    As the majority of in car systems use the audio system for the anti-noise, it is already intimately aware of the audio from regular sources and can ensure that is unmodified.
    Requires multiple microphones and a fair chunk of compute power to do this quickly enough and within high quality, though possible presuming multiple mics with the cabin
    More details on the concepts at Active noise control - Wikipedia

• Informative x 2
  15. svp6

svp6 Member

Agree it may be annoying. Less of a problem if you like your favorite music loud:p

16. sajakh

sajakh Member

I think it's the small gaps around the windshield and front sunroof that causes the wind noise. If they had rubber molding like I've seen in other cars around these areas I think the wind noise would be much less.

Can anyone suggest ways to fill in the gap like rubber moulding?

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. svp6

svp6 Member

You may be correct - but before we all go and tape down the gap I would observe that my Merc has the large pano roof (covering the entire width of the car), and quite similar gaps. No noise from that though. Could be a combination of gap / acoustic insulation (or lack thereof).

• Informative x 2
  18. sajakh

sajakh Member

You could be right but the Mercedes ice engine may mask the wind noise more. My model s doesn't have the prominent wind noise but the gaps with the pano roof don't appear very large or they have rubber between the gaps.

Attached Files:

19. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Why don't you throw a long strip of electrical tape across the gap to prove to yourself that it makes a difference first?

• Helpful x 2
  20. sajakh

sajakh Member

Thanks @insaneoctane. Duh! Why didn't I think of that!

I put it on last night and drove it around this morning. To me, This made a significant difference especially under 70 mph! You can start to hear some wind noise above 55mph but it quite muted. Now I have to find a semi permanent solution with a rubber or foam moulding.

• Informative x 3