Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking ideas for dampening wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also rented a Model 3 yesterday and it was one of the first made, as the fellow works at Tesla Fremont. I drove it a lot during the day and more in the evening, and by night's end my ears started to physically hurt from the constant low end road noise and wind noise. I told the guy about it when I returned the car and he said every Model 3 after Dec 27th was made with a tweak on the suspension to mellow it out a bit more. He also has the 19" sport rims.

I then drove one that was made on Dec 28th, strangely enough, today, and it was definitely better for road noise, and the wind noise wasn't really an issue. However, in both vehicles, I felt the need to turn up the stereo louder than I would have liked to cut through the constant low end of the road noise seeping into the cabin. It's stopped me temporarily on buying a Model 3 and looking at used Model S's. Though I haven't tried driving an M3 with the 18" wheels yet.

Damn, because I love damn near everything else about the car. :^/
The TM3 I rented was a 2017 model with VIN # 0023xx (should be pre-suspension-update) on 18" aero wheels. In comparing to my 2015 Lexus RX, which has more sound deadening material (including double pane front windows), the TM3's road noise is noticeable but well within normal ranges for a car with the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires (which are mediocre tires). That said, I attribute road noise being noticeable at lower speeds to the lack of engine/exhaust hum. Wind noise becomes noticeable at higher speeds. In summary:
  • Under 60 mph: wind noise was a non-issue and road noise was acceptable. At low speeds, I would say the TM3's cabin actually felt quieter than in the RX due to the lack of engine/exhaust noise.
  • Over 60 mph: wind noise and road noise were both noticeable but within normal/expected ranges. Overall cabin noise at higher speeds was higher than in the RX... indicative of less sound deadening materials.
  • Better tires will reduce road noise. Data point: I replaced the OEM MXM4s on my Acura TSX with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires and the difference was huge... noticeable improvement in ride comfort and road/tire noise.
At the end of the day, the TM3 isn't a plush and quiet cruiser... it's a compact sports sedan.

Reactions: Yonki
I'm sure the wheels had a lot to do with my issues of the 2 I drove. Both had 19" wheels and very few miles. The one fellow that is selling his beautiful white TM3 only has 180 miles on it so I'm sure it's just stiff and needs a bit of breaking in, but as I said it was manufactured after Dec 27th and was quieter than the previous one I rented on Turo. My wife loved the car and had no issue with it, but I was hyper sensitive to the noise, even though I've had many sporty vehicles the last 20+ years. Everyone's different, but if you aren't the least bothered by this stuff I would buy this guys TM3 since he's not gouging on the price like so many others in this area are. Regardless of my sound issues, the Model 3 is a great car to drive - for those still wating, you won't be unhappy with the car.