Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking ideas for dampening wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI All,

I'm at 2,500 miles on my 3 and loving it. A few small bugs so far but my biggest gripe is the wind noise when traveling at 60 MPH+. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for aftermarket wind noise dampening solutions.

I'm open to testing out ideas if anyone has any. Thanks

Reactions: Pkmmte
I have some wind noise coming from my A pillar area. I have contemplated getting some painters tape and taping up various joints in the area to narrow down what seam is causing it (My guess is the glass roof to windshield corner). Then I can take it to the SC and ask for a correction of the exact location of the problem.

Hopefully that would get me a better result than just a generic wind noise request.

HI All,

I'm at 2,500 miles on my 3 and loving it. A few small bugs so far but my biggest gripe is the wind noise when traveling at 60 MPH+. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for aftermarket wind noise dampening solutions.

I'm open to testing out ideas if anyone has any. Thanks
Where do you feel its coming from? Only had car for only a week but do not notice any wind noise? I do however feel drive unit is louder coming from rear than my MS?

Since the M3 has a cabin microphone, plenty of speakers, and it's all contolled by the same system, maybe Tesla could develop an active noise cancelling feature. Ideally, it would be configurable (like the steering feel). Of course, it would have to only cancel out routine wind and tire noise and leave traffic / horn / speaking sounds alone.
Would love the system to have a "learning" mode where you drive it around at various speeds without making any cabin noises and it profiles your vehicle and applies the inverse (cancelation) sound!

I have some wind noise coming from my A pillar area. I have contemplated getting some painters tape and taping up various joints in the area to narrow down what seam is causing it (My guess is the glass roof to windshield corner). Then I can take it to the SC and ask for a correction of the exact location of the problem.

Hopefully that would get me a better result than just a generic wind noise request.
Now that is being proactive! Simple diagnostics can produce big results. I love it when women are more creative than we men! :p Happy Women's History Month.

• Funny
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Would love the system to have a "learning" mode where you drive it around at various speeds without making any cabin noises and it profiles your vehicle and applies the inverse (cancelation) sound!
I work at a prestigious audio company in our automotive division and, just like in the headphone space, nobody does noise cancelling better than us :) We call it "Active Sound Management" to reduce all types of noise in the cabin (engine, road, etc.)

Most noise cancellation systems work in frequency space for analysis and anti-noise of regular cadence sounds and would not need to do this. Plus the noise is different based on road surface, so would not be as effective as you might think.
As the majority of in car systems use the audio system for the anti-noise, it is already intimately aware of the audio from regular sources and can ensure that is unmodified.
Requires multiple microphones and a fair chunk of compute power to do this quickly enough and within high quality, though possible presuming multiple mics with the cabin
More details on the concepts at Active noise control - Wikipedia

I think it's the small gaps around the windshield and front sunroof that causes the wind noise. If they had rubber molding like I've seen in other cars around these areas I think the wind noise would be much less.

Can anyone suggest ways to fill in the gap like rubber moulding?

Attachments

• 2018-03-17 13.35.37.jpg
    2018-03-17 13.35.37.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 2018-03-17 13.37.09.jpg
    2018-03-17 13.37.09.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 171
I think it's the small gaps around the windshield and front sunroof that causes the wind noise. If they had rubber molding like I've seen in other cars around these areas I think the wind noise would be much less.

You may be correct - but before we all go and tape down the gap I would observe that my Merc has the large pano roof (covering the entire width of the car), and quite similar gaps. No noise from that though. Could be a combination of gap / acoustic insulation (or lack thereof).

You could be right but the Mercedes ice engine may mask the wind noise more. My model s doesn't have the prominent wind noise but the gaps with the pano roof don't appear very large or they have rubber between the gaps.

Attachments

• 2018-03-17 14.24.34.jpg
    2018-03-17 14.24.34.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 165

Can anyone suggest ways to fill in the gap like rubber moulding?
Why don't you throw a long strip of electrical tape across the gap to prove to yourself that it makes a difference first?

• Helpful
Reactions: sajakh and DR61