Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking long term feedback from Visium owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is a common option for people to go for with the Roadster, but just interested in how well they have been holding up.

Do they scratch easily?
Are they better than the fabric top on long distances?
Is it a pain to take on and off?
Anything else to be aware of?

Basically any feedback gratefully received before I invest!

Disclaimer: In my case it is to go on a Lotus, not a Tesla :redface:

I know this is a common option for people to go for with the Roadster, but just interested in how well they have been holding up.

Do they scratch easily?
Are they better than the fabric top on long distances?
Is it a pain to take on and off?
Anything else to be aware of?

Basically any feedback gratefully received before I invest!

Disclaimer: In my case it is to go on a Lotus, not a Tesla :redface:

Scratch easily: yes, but they supply a compound to take them out. Seems to work well.

Better than fabric: Not sure. I find it better in the winter vs summer (virtual topless and warmth from solar gain vs shade from the sun), rather than long vs short trips.

Pain to take on/off: Not really. Can be done by one person (not too heavy), but you have to fiddle a bit with the clamps. Takes about 30 min or less, once you have the routine. Then tighten them after it settles in a week. Then you're good for a while. The big difference vs the soft top is that you can't fold it up and stick it in the trunk/boot. You will need a safe place to store it, if you're not leaving it on all year. It's best viewed as a seasonal thing.

I was hoping it would be quieter than the soft top, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Certainly easier to wash. Love the view. Looks cool.

I am glad I got mine, vs the Tesla unit (larger, heavier, covers up the CF behind the seat), vs only having the soft top.

Thanks Greg,

My main purpose for it is to do a cross European road trip (c. 3000 miles), hence the long distance question. I actually find with the roof on the car is a bit claustrophobic, so I drive everywhere I possibly can with the roof completely off. (I've even done 150+ on the Autobahn roofless, and I'm sure I gave myself tinnitus :) )

For winter use, it sounds perfect (especially in the UK, as it would mean more "open air driving" time).

The big question I guess is how "airy" does the cabin feel, and does it negate the need to take roof off to give that sense of space, yet still allow high speed motorway/autobahn/freeway driving without going completely deaf. That I guess determines if I can put up with the limitations of being effectively stuck with it on for an entire roadtrip.

The top can scratch, but I find it to be quite resilient to daily use. But you don't want to put stuff that can nick it, you have to treat it like a plastic top or a well polished paint job. Even if it gets scratched, who cares, unless you're showcasing the car. Its still going to be a cleartop and still serves its purpose. I would suggest picking up a storage cover for it when not in use, that's where it most likely would get damaged and scratched.

I use mine from Fall through Spring in California, wouldn't want anything else. It gives a very open feeling, mimicking the open top feel without the noise from the wind.

As for taking it off / on, it takes under a minute to take off and about 3 to 5 minutes to put on by myself. Of course if you're new to putting on / off tops on the Roadster/Elise it'll take you a little longer since there's a learning curve with anything new.

Highly recommend.

Thanks Greg,

My main purpose for it is to do a cross European road trip (c. 3000 miles), hence the long distance question. I actually find with the roof on the car is a bit claustrophobic, so I drive everywhere I possibly can with the roof completely off. (I've even done 150+ on the Autobahn roofless, and I'm sure I gave myself tinnitus :) )

For winter use, it sounds perfect (especially in the UK, as it would mean more "open air driving" time).

The big question I guess is how "airy" does the cabin feel, and does it negate the need to take roof off to give that sense of space, yet still allow high speed motorway/autobahn/freeway driving without going completely deaf. That I guess determines if I can put up with the limitations of being effectively stuck with it on for an entire roadtrip.

Well, I don't feel claustrophobic with either top (I'm 5'4"), so I can't really evaluate how much it would help. The top is tinted, so it's not quite the same as driving with the top off, but I like the extra light it lets in when it's wet and gloomy out. Noise-wise, it's not too different than with the soft top on, though since my experience is only with the electric Roadster. Your Lotus noise level may be different.

The visium can be made **much** quieter at speed by sealing the front and rear gaps - I used matt black PVC electrical insulation tape - which is almost invisible against the visium / screen surround and rear carbon rollover bar.

I too LOVE roof off driving but in UK winter or in rain I start to wimp out - so the visium was THE obvious choice for December thro February in the UK.

If you are driving in EU why not drive to Italy and pick up a Visium personally (but then, I guess you'd miss the lovely wooden box its sent in - unless he sends that separately) .

BTW PLEASE do post some pix of your trip :)
pix:

DSC_0397 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0026 (Medium).JPG

CLOSE-ups... of tape (15mm wide in reality)

DSC_0395 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0396 (Medium).JPG

@smac if you want to travel to deepest Dorset - You are welcome to try my visium.
... I DO like all flavours of Elise and your's is defo top of the list so maybe swap a drive too ?

Last edited:
I wear mine whenever it's going to rain more than a few days any given week - I just took it off, because, you know, 76F in mid-Feb (oh California, you silly state). I almost feel like I have to put it back on to try that electrical tape trick, though.

No real scratches, great workmanship, and is almost as fun as going topless.

The visium can be made **much** quieter at speed by sealing the front and rear gaps - I used matt black PVC electrical insulation tape - which is almost invisible against the visium / screen surround and rear carbon rollover bar.

I too LOVE roof off driving but in UK winter or in rain I start to wimp out - so the visium was THE obvious choice for December thro February in the UK.

If you are driving in EU why not drive to Italy and pick up a Visium personally (but then, I guess you'd miss the lovely wooden box its sent in - unless he sends that separately) .

BTW PLEASE do post some pix of your trip :)
pix:

@smac if you want to travel to deepest Dorset - You are welcome to try my visium.
... I DO like all flavours of Elise and your's is defo top of the list so maybe swap a drive too ?

Thanks Mark

The colour combo works great on your car, I really like the contrast!

It had crossed my mind to pick one up from the factory, but it's a bit of a detour as I'm planning on going to Bucharest/Black Sea :) I'll be doing a twitter feed of the trip, under the same account I did my Arctic Circle trip (Exige Adventure (@exigeadventure) | Twitter).

Very much appreciate the offer of a try. I'm down your neck of the woods in April , for a spot of sailing, so I could be tempted to drive the Exige down (if I can work out how to put enough gear in it :) ) . More than happy to have a bit of a swap. (I'm still yet to try a Roadster,despite being first interested in them from the Elise side of things).

Si

As for taking it off / on, it takes under a minute to take off and about 3 to 5 minutes to put on by myself. Of course if you're new to putting on / off tops on the Roadster/Elise it'll take you a little longer since there's a learning curve with anything new.

Highly recommend.

Thanks for the feedback.

I hand an old Exige and got the hang of taking the roof off that. I could never take mine off in a minute though, you must really have the knack :)

Ordered mine one month ago at Visium Italy, both sides with anti scractch coating (incl. shipment to Germany 2.300 Euro). Arrived yesterday.
It looks pretty neat on the Roadster and it definitely gives you a feeling of more space.
Downside: it has one spot with rather deep scratches (trough the coating) which must have occured during production process.. Mailed the guys in Italy about it and waiting for a response now.... and also the overall finish quality seems to be more like Fiat or Ferrari (typically italian - no offense! I like Italy very much, I even speak the language... but its like... ah... will work out fine..)

IMG_8678.JPG IMG_8679.JPG IMG_8680.JPG IMG_8684.JPG IMG_8685.JPG IMG_8686.JPG IMG_8688.JPG IMG_8690.JPG IMG_8692.JPG

Reactions: Rolf68 and Mark77a
I recently bought Roadster #425 Very Orange and it came with the Visium top. Very nice. The top is about 4 years old and looks great. It was getting a little creaky and retightening the connections helped. I recently serviced it by re-gluing the driver side window seal and replaced the plastic inserts that are at the front connection points. Now the top is snug as a bed bug!

Attachments

• 2018-07-18 09.00.05.jpg
    2018-07-18 09.00.05.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 224
Still going GREAT ! Seeking long term feedback from Visium owners.
The only 'tough job' is deciding when the summer has ended to put it on for the winter .... OK, its only 20 min max to take on off (including careful fitting of tape (essential), but once its on I love the benefits - quietness, no wind blasting, and same views. In fact I almost think 'why not keep it on all year ?' .. the answer is just temperature/weather - when its 22degC / 71degF or more and sunny, with roof off, the air blast cools you, and you feel 'at one with the world' .... and all the reasons for going for a convertible in the 1st place.

Mine's standard, and has No scratches, (although I'm careful eg soft bagging for storage during summer).
No regrets. at. all.

Reactions: DanielFriederich