Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking long term feedback from Visium owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got mine in July 2017 and fell in love with it immediately. I have a factory Tesla hardtop, but rarely use it or the cloth top at all anymore.

Then just a few weeks ago, I saw this... it appears that the UV/scratch resistant clear coat is pealing off the outside. The photo below is that largest spot, but there are other, smaller spots where it is beginning to bubble and peal off.

It reminds me of the well know issue with pealing on the Roadster headlight assemblies.

Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas on what to do about it?

View attachment 607427 View attachment 607425
Any updates or the solution to the finish peeling?

Any suggestions from visium owners on recommendations for ordering premium vs basic. I was thinking basic version with PPF and/or tint applied after would hold up better than the exterior and interior finish on the premium, especially in hot and humid FL weather.

I think I may have lost my bolts, nuts and hardware for my Visium top. Anyone successful in getting replacement parts?
This was the quote for extra hardware, not cheap...
“Only the rear ones complete with screws 180 euros.
The front ones complete with screws 200 euros”

Any updates or the solution to the finish peeling?

Any suggestions from visium owners on recommendations for ordering premium vs basic. I was thinking basic version with PPF and/or tint applied after would hold up better than the exterior and interior finish on the premium, especially in hot and humid FL weather.

This was the quote for extra hardware, not cheap...
“Only the rear ones complete with screws 180 euros.
The front ones complete with screws 200 euros”
Where did you get this quote? And who do I ask? I'd like to go ahead and purchase

Thank you! I'm willing to wait. If you could post dimensions of the front items as well I'd really appreciate it! And yes the pictures too would be awesome. I can't freak'n believe mine are lost!
I’m local in Yorba Linda and have the Visium top on now. Let me know if you want to meet up and you can take all the photos and measurements of the hardware you need to get a set fabricated domestically.

Does anyone know if they are still manufacturing these? Does anyone have the ordering information?
Yep, it’s still available. I got one about a year ago. Pros and cons as outlined in this thread.
Long lead time to make. Here’s screen shot of contact info for quotes.

ADF8267B-89DF-482E-BE45-3D3AD8C9C888.jpeg

I got mine in the summer of 2013 and have loved it ever since until a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly, it looks like this. Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas what's happening and why?

Looks like the coating that's put over the clear plastic to reduce heat and visible light transmission is separating from the plastic hard top. I would reach out to the company at [email protected] .

I got mine in the summer of 2013 and have loved it ever since until a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly, it looks like this. Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas what's happening and why?

View attachment 906783View attachment 906784View attachment 906785
Bummer! It looks like the finish is compromised as @IslandRoadster pointed out. Mine is holding up but it’s only a couple of years old. your local “competent” car paint shop should be able to help or I’m sure Carl Medlock (@CM_007) in Seattle can make it new again.
Please keep us updated.

Bummer! It looks like the finish is compromised as @IslandRoadster pointed out. Mine is holding up but it’s only a couple of years old. your local “competent” car paint shop should be able to help or I’m sure Carl Medlock (@CM_007) in Seattle can make it new again.
Please keep us updated.
It looks like someone put a ceramic coating on that top, which cooked off in the heat. It's only been in the past year or two they have made ceramic coatings for plastics. We had two of these here before and repaired them both. It's very time-consuming because that polycarbonate is very soft, and one too many strokes and the plastic is damaged. We sand it off and PPF the top, so they are not so delicate. Great tops and even with how fragile they can be. WORTH IT :) Do not let just anyone touch this top or you might be purchasing a duplicate.

• Informative
Reactions: eHorses
It looks like someone put a ceramic coating on that top, which cooked off in the heat. It's only been in the past year or two they have made ceramic coatings for plastics. We had two of these here before and repaired them both. It's very time-consuming because that polycarbonate is very soft, and one too many strokes and the plastic is damaged. We sand it off and PPF the top, so they are not so delicate. Great tops and even with how fragile they can be. WORTH IT :) Do not let just anyone touch this top or you might be purchasing a duplicate.
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I looked more closely at it and it is flaking off a bit. I also spoke with Pete Gruber. I had the car at Gruber Motors last year for a PEM rebuild and some other work. He says they didn't do anything with the top other than clean it.

@CM_007, you're in Seattle, right? I'm driving distance from you. Could I bring it up for you to take a look at and, if possible, fix?

Kristin

Reactions: Medlock&Sons
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I looked more closely at it and it is flaking off a bit. I also spoke with Pete Gruber. I had the car at Gruber Motors last year for a PEM rebuild and some other work. He says they didn't do anything with the top other than clean it.

@CM_007, you're in Seattle, right? I'm driving distance from you. Could I bring it up for you to take a look at and, if possible, fix?

Kristin
Sure stop by Mon - Fri 10-4 9028 Delridge Way Seattle 98106 425-405-0458

Reactions: IslandRoadster