TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Seeking opinions as to whether or not my Model 3 is repairable or totaled

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Jayers, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Jayers

Jayers Member

Does anyone have any experience with model 3s that have been totaled? I’m wondering if this is reparable or should I start ordering a new one.

Attached Files:

2. ry-ballz

ry-ballz Member

That's repairable. It'll be expensive though.

3. ArizonaP85

ArizonaP85 Member

Try to get insurance co to give you an answer on totaled or not as soon as possible. They probably will total it and you might be able to order a replacement before the end of the quarter and find some discounts that way. However, time is running short and they’re likely to not give you an answer in time. Good luck!

• Informative x 1
  4. azdryheat

azdryheat Member

Only your insurance company can determine it, but looks worse than mine that was totaled.

5. focher

focher Member

I suspect that's both repairable and the insurance company will cover it as a repair.

In regards to a Tesla "subpoena" requirement, it's actually easy to address and doesn't require a lawyer. File a small claims action against Tesla, then ask the court clerk how to file a subpoena duces tecum (subpoena for documents) for the small claims action. Usually it's nothing more than a form that you can send to Tesla. A subpoena is just a court authorized request. You can make them yourself so long as it's under an active litigation, which the small claims action would cover. Then just dismiss the small claims case once you get the video.

The car absolutely has stored that video footage.

• Informative x 1
  6. Jayers

Jayers Member

7. Jayers

Jayers Member

Thanks, a tractor trailer merged into my lane and slammed my vehicle into the Jersey wall. His handle for the trailer Jack rip through the entire side of the car as you see, the front bumper is also falling off and all four rims and tires need replaced.

Attached Files:

8. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

Looks totaled to me.

• Like x 4
  9. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

No airbags blown. New RH doors and fender, sheet metal work, 4 wheels/tires etc. I bet repairable.

10. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

Definitely totaled. If you can, let us know what actually happens. It very likely will be repaired of course (hopefully not for you though). Definitely a good idea to expedite the declaration as suggested above.

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I’m glad to see we have reached a consensus, based on three photos. ;)

• Funny x 6
  12. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Since there were no airbags deployed, it's a tough call. I'm going to go with totaled though.

13. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

This is why forums need a poll type that can tally who was right and who was wrong and keep a prediction accuracy score for users.
    I’m still going with totaled. The car was pushed into a barrier hard enough to break both the wheels. Both subframes probably have to be replaced.

• Like x 1
  14. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

What's the most expensive parts of a Tesla? Batteries, motors, computers? The frame is probably okay.

So it looks to me like cosmetic damage only.

Remember, "totaled" only tends to exist when the repairs are more than the cost of the car.

15. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

Not true at all. At least we can all agree on that!

When is Your Car a Total Loss? | CARFAX

“In 21 states, determining total loss is based upon a total loss formula or TLF. Here, the insurer determines the cost of repairs plus the scrap value. If it equals or exceeds the actual cash value (ACV) of your car before the accident, then it is totaled. If it comes in lower, then your car may be fixed and returned to you.”

Remember cost of repairs includes rental costs, storage costs, diminished value (when not at fault)...adds up quickly.

What we have seen here is that parts for Teslas are not actually that expensive. But labor costs for repair tend to be very high - usually ends up about 60-75% of the repair cost, from what I recall.

• Like x 1
  16. 67King

67King Member

I am inclined to think that it is not totaled.....with the possible problem being related to how long it would take to repair, and the rental car issue. But the damage to me looks superficial. Obviously teh doors and fender just get replaced. The C-pillar doesn't look to be damaged enough to require more than a little pulling. Suspension does not appear to have any odd geometry, which would indicate things broke. Impact was tangential, not direct, so it is IMHO unlikely that the subframe bore the brunt of any of the impact. You indicate that the jack handle is what did most of the damage, which means it wasn't any kind of hard impact. And it does not appear that any airbags went off.

But again, the time to get parts may drive non-repair costs to the point where they have to total it.

17. jonathanz

jonathanz Member

i would get the car totaled.

18. Fossil Fool

Fossil Fool Member

Rub a little dirt on it!

I'm going with totaled.

• Funny x 1
  19. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

If it's a SR, I'd say totaled. SR+ Possibly totaled. LR AWD probably not totaled. P3D-, not totaled.

Really sorry this happened, man. Hope that trucker's insurance company treats you right.

20. AdamVIP

AdamVIP Member

If you were at fault your insurance will repair. If its someone else's fault and their insurance has to cover rentals and stuff they will total it.