Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking opinions as to whether or not my Model 3 is repairable or totaled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any experience with model 3s that have been totaled? I’m wondering if this is reparable or should I start ordering a new one.

Attachments

• 6C4A3818-1D47-4A06-9D29-2D69E1F47A48.jpeg
    6C4A3818-1D47-4A06-9D29-2D69E1F47A48.jpeg
    797.6 KB · Views: 251
  • 4D82E70B-2C8C-4CE2-A442-F4431BDC8D09.jpeg
    4D82E70B-2C8C-4CE2-A442-F4431BDC8D09.jpeg
    904.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 604FB3A0-2012-48B8-AA8D-B5D5CEBA6B01.jpeg
    604FB3A0-2012-48B8-AA8D-B5D5CEBA6B01.jpeg
    643.1 KB · Views: 231
Does anyone have any experience with model 3s that have been totaled? I’m wondering if this is reparable or should I start ordering a new one.
Try to get insurance co to give you an answer on totaled or not as soon as possible. They probably will total it and you might be able to order a replacement before the end of the quarter and find some discounts that way. However, time is running short and they’re likely to not give you an answer in time. Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I suspect that's both repairable and the insurance company will cover it as a repair.

In regards to a Tesla "subpoena" requirement, it's actually easy to address and doesn't require a lawyer. File a small claims action against Tesla, then ask the court clerk how to file a subpoena duces tecum (subpoena for documents) for the small claims action. Usually it's nothing more than a form that you can send to Tesla. A subpoena is just a court authorized request. You can make them yourself so long as it's under an active litigation, which the small claims action would cover. Then just dismiss the small claims case once you get the video.

The car absolutely has stored that video footage.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I suspect that's both repairable and the insurance company will cover it as a repair.

In regards to a Tesla "subpoena" requirement, it's actually easy to address and doesn't require a lawyer. File a small claims action against Tesla, then ask the court clerk how to file a subpoena duces tecum (subpoena for documents) for the small claims action. Usually it's nothing more than a form that you can send to Tesla. A subpoena is just a court authorized request. You can make them yourself so long as it's under an active litigation, which the small claims action would cover. Then just dismiss the small claims case once you get the video.

The car absolutely has stored that video footage.

Thanks, a tractor trailer merged into my lane and slammed my vehicle into the Jersey wall. His handle for the trailer Jack rip through the entire side of the car as you see, the front bumper is also falling off and all four rims and tires need replaced.

Attachments

• 9582A436-8D3B-4405-A141-413359A34114.jpeg
    9582A436-8D3B-4405-A141-413359A34114.jpeg
    715.2 KB · Views: 216
Thanks, a tractor trailer merged into my lane and slammed my vehicle into the Jersey wall. His handle for the trailer Jack rip through the entire side of the car as you see, the front bumper is also falling off and all four rims and tires need replaced.

Definitely totaled. If you can, let us know what actually happens. It very likely will be repaired of course (hopefully not for you though). Definitely a good idea to expedite the declaration as suggested above.

I’m glad to see we have reached a consensus, based on three photos. ;)
That's repairable

They probably will total it

looks worse than mine that was totaled

that's both repairable and the insurance company will cover it as a repair.

Looks totaled to me.

I bet repairable.

Definitely totaled.

I’m glad to see we have reached a consensus, based on three photos. ;)
This is why forums need a poll type that can tally who was right and who was wrong and keep a prediction accuracy score for users.
I’m still going with totaled. The car was pushed into a barrier hard enough to break both the wheels. Both subframes probably have to be replaced.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Remember, "totaled" only tends to exist when the repairs are more than the cost of the car.

Not true at all. At least we can all agree on that!

When is Your Car a Total Loss? | CARFAX

“In 21 states, determining total loss is based upon a total loss formula or TLF. Here, the insurer determines the cost of repairs plus the scrap value. If it equals or exceeds the actual cash value (ACV) of your car before the accident, then it is totaled. If it comes in lower, then your car may be fixed and returned to you.”

Remember cost of repairs includes rental costs, storage costs, diminished value (when not at fault)...adds up quickly.

What we have seen here is that parts for Teslas are not actually that expensive. But labor costs for repair tend to be very high - usually ends up about 60-75% of the repair cost, from what I recall.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I am inclined to think that it is not totaled.....with the possible problem being related to how long it would take to repair, and the rental car issue. But the damage to me looks superficial. Obviously teh doors and fender just get replaced. The C-pillar doesn't look to be damaged enough to require more than a little pulling. Suspension does not appear to have any odd geometry, which would indicate things broke. Impact was tangential, not direct, so it is IMHO unlikely that the subframe bore the brunt of any of the impact. You indicate that the jack handle is what did most of the damage, which means it wasn't any kind of hard impact. And it does not appear that any airbags went off.

But again, the time to get parts may drive non-repair costs to the point where they have to total it.