Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Opinions - New LR AWD vs. Demo M3P+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm stuck with a decision and seeking some opinions from you all about my predicament. Last month I put an order in for a 2021 LR AWD that is set to be delivered the week of 12/23 (according to my SA). I recently stumbled upon a demo 2020 M3P+ (with 1,800 miles) in local inventory, which was discounted $6k bringing the price within $1,200 of the 2021 LR AWD I have on order. What would you do in this scenario? Advice?

I don't envy your decision. IMHO the LR AWD is more than enough performance than any mere mortal would ever need and you'd be getting the 2021 enhancements but the performance is the performance...it's the top of the food chain!

I appreciate that this was no help whatsoever...so...I'd take the performance even though it's not the logical answer!

Tough choices. The 2021 M3 will have the latest features, more comfortable ride and suspension, but of course the M3P is very awesome to drive everyday. If I were you, I would drive both the LR and P back to back and see which one would fit your needs and lifestyle.

Do demo cars qualify for state/local incentives? Not sure if they see demo cars as "new" cars or used, that's also something to consider.

I would probably go with the middle option, get the new LR-AWD with the acceleration boost, that should give you similar performance compared to the performance trim, plus longer range battery.

Do demo cars qualify for state/local incentives? Not sure if they see demo cars as "new" cars or used, that's also something to consider.

I would probably go with the middle option, get the new LR-AWD with the acceleration boost, that should give you similar performance compared to the performance trim, plus longer range battery.

Any thoughts on resale value - which would be worth more in 3 years I wonder.

Demo cars are considered new since they have never been registered, so all incentives and new car warranty are the same (afaik).

Resale potential is definitely something I would consider.

• Informative
Reactions: P-Lo801
Demo cars are considered new since they have never been registered, so all incentives and new car warranty are the same (afaik).

As long as its a demo that hasnt been titled, thats correct. You would have to verify that. In fact, given the amount of discount, I would guess that car actually has been titled and would be sold as used (thus not qualify for any incentives). I dont know either way, but just because something is a demo doesnt mean it has to be sold as new.

As you correctly state, it depends on whether the car was titled or not. Its entirely possible that the car was sold, returned, then used as a demo for example.

TL ; DR = Do NOT assume just because tesla is telling you "its a demo" that means its never been titled, if you are expecting to qualify for any state rebates incentives etc that require a "new" designation.

That depends on the state. In order to receive the Colorado tax credit, a new car has to have less than 1500 miles. If a demo has more than 1500 miles on it, you can't claim the tax credit.

As long as its a demo that hasnt been titled, thats correct. You would have to verify that. In fact, given the amount of discount, I would guess that car actually has been titled and would be sold as used (thus not qualify for any incentives). I dont know either way, but just because something is a demo doesnt mean it has to be sold as new.
If Tesla is presenting the car as a "demo" than it shouldn't have been previously sold/titled. A $6k discount is not that surprising on a new demo M3P. There have even been cheaper new (untitled) demo M3 LR models with similar discounts. Below is a new demo LR that is $7,550 off retail including the $2k overall price reduction from May.
2020 Model 3 | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: P-Lo801

As you correctly state, it depends on whether the car was titled or not. Its entirely possible that the car was sold, returned, then used as a demo for example.

TL ; DR = Do NOT assume just because tesla is telling you "its a demo" that means its never been titled, if you are expecting to qualify for any state rebates incentives etc that require a "new" designation.

Much thanks for the info. I assumed that since the demo cars are listed under "new" inventory that that would indicate the car had never been titled. But sounds like that may not always be the case and I should double check for sure.

Anyone with experience purchasing from "demo" inventory have any insight on the general condition of the cars? The discount brings the 2020 M3P+ to $49k vs. $48k for the 2021 LR AWD

If Tesla is presenting the car as a "demo" than it shouldn't have been previously sold/titled. A $6k discount is not that surprising on a new demo M3P. There have even been cheaper new (untitled) demo M3 LR models with similar discounts. Below is a new demo LR that is $7,550 off retail including the $2k overall price reduction from May.
2020 Model 3 | Tesla

It would be a good idea for any prospective buyer to check, is what I am saying. There is NOTHNG at all stopping tesla from taking returned vehicles (that were titled) and then making them demos. There have been people here who bought model 3s with some discount, then were "surprised" when they no longer qualified for whatever new incentive they thought they would get.

Asking them to check the paperwork, it was titled as "used", and they were like "but they told me it was a demo".

Im not saying demos arent new cars, I am saying they dont HAVE to be new, and if this is something a person cares about they need to CHECK it, and not assume.

Much thanks for the info. I assumed that since the demo cars are listed under "new" inventory that that would indicate the car had never been titled. But sounds like that may not always be the case and I should double check for sure.

Anyone with experience purchasing from "demo" inventory have any insight on the general condition of the cars? The discount brings the 2020 M3P+ to $49k vs. $48k for the 2021 LR AWD

Just verify with the person helping you that "this car will be titled as NEW, correct?" that way no surprises. As for condition, like most things tesla, it sort of depends. Most cars are great, a few arent, and this also depends on how picky you are, or whether the amount of discount would enable you to look past possible minor wear and tear.

I just got a 2019 performance and was able to save close to $20K compared to the new one I had due this month. Your dilemma is a little different. The performance is insanely fast. Like more powerful than you can utilize most of the time. Does knowing that you have the fastest car on the block 99.9% of the time matter to you? If not, the LR has plenty of power and the new features and completely new car are a compelling choice.

Check out the Insurance costs for the M3P versus M3LR. Since it maybe classed differently and could cost you a fortune over ownership time. 0-60 time is just not worth the cost as the LR has more getup and go than anyone really needs. Just saying.

Reactions: Pemple
Check out the Insurance costs for the M3P versus M3LR. Since it maybe classed differently and could cost you a fortune over ownership time. 0-60 time is just not worth the cost as the LR has more getup and go than anyone really needs. Just saying.

Believe it or not I did get quotes for both and the insurance premiums for both were within a few dollars of each other. To top it off, both were slightly cheaper compared to what I pay for today for a Volkswagen GTI.

I just got a 2019 performance and was able to save close to $20K compared to the new one I had due this month. Your dilemma is a little different. The performance is insanely fast. Like more powerful than you can utilize most of the time. Does knowing that you have the fastest car on the block 99.9% of the time matter to you? If not, the LR has plenty of power and the new features and completely new car are a compelling choice.

buying "the faster version" of a car almost always boils down to this. Thing is, "the slower version" of this car (the LR AWD) is faster than most cars. With that being said, I have a performance model 3 so obviously voted with my wallet... back when the cost of that version of the car was 71.5k US (but I got 7500 tax credit).

I drive it moderately like 95% of the time... but every once in a while I do "get on it" under certain circumstances. Something about knowing that my car is faster than the "M3 (the real one,) that I was going to buy, and yet a much MUCH better commuter car, gives me great joy.

I agree with going with the 2021 LR and add the performance boost. Unless you're going to drag race your car, the LR's acceleration is good enough to leave just about everyone in the stop lights of your daily commute. And you have a "newer" car in terms of model year. Not to mention all the updates it had compared to the 2020 model.

My information is several years old. I bought our Model S 100D Demo in November 2017 with 1,100 miles and a sweet discount. It was in like-new condition when I picked it up.

Got the full Federal income tax credit.

The only problem due to its months as showroom, demo and loaner car was that it was delivered with “Demo” mode still enabled. Once I realized that, it was corrected over the air.

I don’t think there’s a wrong choice for you. Practical (better range, less bling) or Performance (more zoom, track mode, lower suspension).

My wife’s P3- is a nice compromise. Not concerned about range, S is the road trip car.

Anyone with experience purchasing from "demo" inventory have any insight on the general condition of the cars?

I bought a demo with 1k miles. Absolutely couldn’t tell that it wasn’t fresh off the line except the odometer.

I’m not an expert on used car prices, but I think that as soon as there is a refresh, even though it was pretty mild, people tend to want the post-refresh version. Also lower end models usually hold a greater % of their price, yet here you are getting them for essentially the same price.

I think it depends if you value speed/acceleration more than range and efficiency. I personally would go with the 2021 LR.