Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Opinions - New LR AWD vs. Demo M3P+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Performance. Though I would expect it's already gone if you didn't pull the trigger yet.

I should have prefaced this with the fact that I put a deposit down on it shortly after my post. So now I have both the 2021 AWD LR I had on order and this demo 2020 M3P+ in my account. Now I'm just trying to decide between two. Opinions have been mixed but I'm sure either car would be great.

...I should have made this a poll.

I should have prefaced this with the fact that I put a deposit down on it shortly after my post. So now I have both the 2021 AWD LR I had on order and this demo 2020 M3P+ in my account. Now I'm just trying to decide between two. Opinions have been mixed but I'm sure either car would be great.

...I should have made this a poll.

If it were me, I would suggest new, vs used.. especially since you cant really use the performance of "the performance" model most times. I have a model 3 performance, and love it, but I got it new as well.

For full disclosure, I have a pre disposition for new vs used. I prefer new, unless the used car is a deal to incredible to pass up. In this specific case, I think I would get new, even though new + the boost (which I would likely buy) would put me at the price of the used one, at least I would know where the miles came from, etc.

I am not saying thats logicial, or "right".. I just like new cars over used, if I can afford the new one. Its one of the reasons my wife likely will not have a model X to replace her BMW X3 when its lease is up. I cant afford a new one with the stuff we would want on it, and I "dont want" a used one.

I do think it’s disingenuous if Tesla lists the car as new when it’s clearly been titled before. You might have something there... not legal advice, not an attorney, etc... but that’s not right.
Thanks, I learned from my mistake and won't happen again that's for sure. In the end all I got after a BBB report was 200$ at the Tesla store for the inconvenience.
Mine was pretty much a test drive and I even have text messages that only state it was a test drive car.

• Informative
Reactions: valaeyron
I would almost certainly go with the new car, though I'd think about buying the performance boost upgrade. Like others have said, it's a new car with a bigger battery and a heat pump.

One thing I have heard is that the 20" wheels on the M3P+ are more easily damaged than the other wheels. I don't own a M3P+, so I don't have personal experience with this, but I'd be paranoid about that. I live in Seattle, and we have a lot of bad roads.

Just to update here. I finally spoke to my SA about my options and it turns out my existing terms (loan offer and trade-in) would need to re-submitted again if I wanted to go with the 2020 M3P+ demo. This made the decision easy (keep 2021 LR AWD order) since I dont want my trade-in offer to decrease. So if you're looking for a discounted 2020 M3P+ demo in the Socal area keep your eyes peeled on the inventory page.

Just to update here. I finally spoke to my SA about my options and it turns out my existing terms (loan offer and trade-in) would need to re-submitted again if I wanted to go with the 2020 M3P+ demo. This made the decision easy (keep 2021 LR AWD order) since I dont want my trade-in offer to decrease. So if you're looking for a discounted 2020 M3P+ demo in the Socal area keep your eyes peeled on the inventory page.

Appreciate you closing the loop on this. Just as a conversation point, are you going to get delivery of your new tesla before the trade in offer expires? I am not sure how that works with tesla because I didnt trade in a car.

I do know that in california we dont have any sort of tax break when trading in vehicles like other states do, and I know that tesla usually gives an offer that expires after "some period of time", but I have read here of peoples trade in offers expiring before they got their new car, and the new offer being lower.

Appreciate you closing the loop on this. Just as a conversation point, are you going to get delivery of your new tesla before the trade in offer expires? I am not sure how that works with tesla because I didnt trade in a car.

I do know that in california we dont have any sort of tax break when trading in vehicles like other states do, and I know that tesla usually gives an offer that expires after "some period of time", but I have read here of peoples trade in offers expiring before they got their new car, and the new offer being lower.

According to my SA Tesla is honoring trade-in quotes until 12/31 (1k miles max). I'm guessing in an effort to push deliveries before end-of-quarter to reach goals (on top of 1-year of free supercharging).

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin