Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Opinions on wall charger install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I am installing a wall charger for my recently ordered model 3. I used the Tesla website to locate 'approved' electricians, and got about 6 quotes. My installation requires adding 60 amp breaker into a panel that has space, a 40 foot run of cable, and connecting the wall charger. The quotes ranged from as high as $1500 to as low as $770. Then I had the local electrician that wired our house come give a quote and it was $570. I don't think the local electrician has wired a wall charger before. My question for all of you experts is whether the $200 premium is worth it to use a Tesla 'approved' electrician? Are there warranty issues I need to be aware of?
Many thanks for any suggestions/input!
(4-8 weeks and counting.......)

Hello,
I am installing a wall charger for my recently ordered model 3. I used the Tesla website to locate 'approved' electricians, and got about 6 quotes. My installation requires adding 60 amp breaker into a panel that has space, a 40 foot run of cable, and connecting the wall charger. The quotes ranged from as high as $1500 to as low as $770. Then I had the local electrician that wired our house come give a quote and it was $570. I don't think the local electrician has wired a wall charger before. My question for all of you experts is whether the $200 premium is worth it to use a Tesla 'approved' electrician? Are there warranty issues I need to be aware of?
Many thanks for any suggestions/input!
(4-8 weeks and counting.......)
If the Tesla approved electrician will also file permits, I say it might be worth it just for liability purposes

Reactions: BrokerDon
Thanks! The local electrician's quote included fling the permit with the city. Are there permits that need to be filed with Tesla as well?

Nothing needs to be done with Tesla regarding paperwork or warranty. The instructions for hooking up the wall connector are very clear and I'm confident that your electrician will be able to hook it up properly.

By the way it’s not a “wall charger”, it’s a “wall connector”. The charger is in the car.

To those who will say you know what he meant, don’t be picky about the terminology, I invite you to read the threads where someone complains his charger isn’t working, and some people respond as if he has a problem with the car and others respond as if he has a problem with the wall connector. It’s like “who’s on first?”

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
By the way it’s not a “wall charger”, it’s a “wall connector”. The charger is in the car.

To those who will say you know what he meant, don’t be picky about the terminology, I invite you to read the threads where someone complains his charger isn’t working, and some people respond as if he has a problem with the car and others respond as if he has a problem with the wall connector. It’s like “who’s on first?”
Oops! Thanks for the connection correction.

• Funny
Reactions: BrokerDon
Thanks. It definitely seems like the Tesla authorized companies feel that their work is worth more than a 'regular' electrician. Who did you end up choosing?
We went with a normal electrician as well. If they are doing the exact same thing, go with whoever is cheaper. The wall chargers are surprisingly easy to install since all the complex electronic are in the car

Tesla approved installers will need to follow Tesla guidelines and best practices. They will do a load calculation by checking out every electric appliance in your home. They will send their report to Tesla who will evaluate your situation and check on their design. They will pull necessary permits, and send Tesla a report when the job is finished. Most likely will cost more, as they do more.

The cheapest guy might use slightly thinner gauge wire or Home Depot circuit breakers and plugs. Might not pull permits or do load calculations. They might not have experience with the high amperage that a Tesla draws for many hours every night.

Tesla provides guidelines to installers. Just make sure your guy follows those guidelines.

Your finished job should remain cool to the touch when charging. Any excessive heat will reveal a weak spot in the installation. Breakers should not blow, even on warm days.

Any electrician that installs a 60a breaker in a main panel and doesn’t do a load calculation isn’t going to be an electrician for very long.

Any competent electrician will be more that capable of installing a wall connector. It’s an extremely straightforward job, assuming you have the overhead on your service already. If you don’t, or you’re close to the service limit, then said competent electrician is obligated to tell you that, and offer other options. Tesla certification is just a way for Tesla to point customers to a local electrician that will take care of it for them, without any hassle. That doesn’t mean another electrician is in any way incapable.

When I installed my wall connector, I contacted each electrician on the Tesla recommended list and a few local recommendations. I think I had prelim discussions with about 7-8 and got actual quotes from 3. I spent $1100 for a 60A breaker with thick enough wire to run the wall connector at full capacity in the future if the breaker is switched out, and running about 25 feet through wall-mounted conduit all within the garage. The labor and materials for the job was $725. The other $375 was my county's permitting/inspection fee.

The people on the Tesla-recommended list are on there because they have installed them before and report back to Tesla to keep their "certification" active. At least that's what the electrician I hired told me, who was on the list. I went with him because he also gave the best price. A few of the electricians were completely devoid of communication skill and would have made me wary to hire them to plug in a lamp...

It should be a straightforward process for any electrician. It's basically adding a dedicated circuit to your service panel, running the right gauge of wires, and wiring the wall connector itself. I'd have no issues hiring someone I've worked with before, especially if I know first-hand that they've done competent work, especially for something like this that should be inspected to make sure it's up to code.

Reactions: Rocky_H and brkaus
When our Tesla High Power Wall Charger (1st generation) was installed with an electrical permit and inspection in July 2015 a Tesla approved electrician on a 100A circuit, I immediately noticed the HPWC plug and our P85D's receptacle were VERY hot when we charged our dual charger equipped P85D at 80A. I contacted Tesla Service and they sent a Tesla Ranger to our house the following morning who replaced the HPWC cable under warranty since our HPWC was a included on our "inventory" purchase invoice... and we'd used a Tesla approved electrician. The Tesla Ranger checked all the HPWC connections and replaced our HPWC cable.

An additional bonus of having our HPWC included on our invoice is it also extended our HPWC warranty to 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km) (whichever comes first) as part of our Tesla's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Not sure if this still applies but it did in July 2015.

When our Tesla High Power Wall Charger (1st generation) was installed with an electrical permit and inspection in July 2015 a Tesla approved electrician on a 100A circuit, I immediately noticed the HPWC plug and our P85D's receptacle were VERY hot when we charged our dual charger equipped P85D at 80A. I contacted Tesla Service and they sent a Tesla Ranger to our house the following morning who replaced the HPWC cable under warranty since our HPWC was a included on our "inventory" purchase invoice... and we'd used a Tesla approved electrician. The Tesla Ranger checked all the HPWC connections and replaced our HPWC cable.

An additional bonus of having our HPWC included on our invoice is it also extended our HPWC warranty to 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km) (whichever comes first) as part of our Tesla's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Not sure if this still applies but it did in July 2015.

I don't think there's anything like this anymore. It wasn't even an option to have the wall connector invoiced as part of the purchase price of the car. It's pretty much up to the customer to get their charging solution sorted out themselves. The wall connector is under warranty for 48 months, and I'd expect that warranty would be valid regardless of who installed it as long as it was wired correctly.

Any competent electrician will be more that capable of installing a wall connector. It’s an extremely straightforward job, assuming you have the overhead on your service already. If you don’t, or you’re close to the service limit, then said competent electrician is obligated to tell you that, and offer other options. Tesla certification is just a way for Tesla to point customers to a local electrician that will take care of it for them, without any hassle. That doesn’t mean another electrician is in any way incapable.
If the electrician hasn’t installed HPWC before, be sure to review internal settings for Amps, role and supply with them.

Also point out the parts bag includes required Torx tools. Ask to keep the tools and manual when job is finished.

Thanks for all of the opinions! I've decided to spend a little more money for the expertise, experience and comfort of using an electrician who has done many similar installations, rather than the cheapest option. The difference of about $200 is worth it for the spousal approval factor.