Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Suggestions For Upcoming Multi-state I40 & I70 Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
I was hoping to solicit some ideas for places we should see or routes we should take on an upcoming trip. We'll be taking the P85D so max range will be just shy of 250 miles. Bonus points if areas of interest have charging of some sort while we visit, are free to visit or both.

We'll be going south from Northern Colorado on I25 to Albuquerque, NM where we'll head East on I40.

Once on I40 that will be our primary road until we get to Nashville, TN. We'll be passing through the following larger cities:

Amarillo, TX
OKC, OK
Little Rock, AK
Memphis, TN

Once we leave Nashville we'll head North/NW towards St Louis where we'll take I70 West through Kansas City, MO back to Colorado & home.

The only non-Supercharger portion along this route will be the stretch between OKC and Little Rock as there are three Superchargers slated for completion this summer but, as of this post, non of them are online. There's a Super 8 in Fort Smith that has a destination charger so we may stop for a quick splash of juice for an hour or so or, if it's overnight, get a room and sleep in a bed.

We plan to nap and sleep in the car itself and only stay in rooms occasionally as the situation permits. As far as showers go we'll likely do drop-ins at Crossfit gyms and will prioritize the ones that have showers.

Other than staying with a friend in Nashville for a prolonged period (several days) we don't really have any firm plans or timelines. We plan to stop and check out each of the cities listed (for multiple days if we feel like it) as well as a couple other stops in Lynchburg to tour Jack Daniels as well as well as Cookeville TN to do a drop-in at Crossfit Mayhem.

My wife and I are big foodies so anyplace that you think are must-sees please offer them up. Especially BBQ. Not adverse to fast food unique to the area either as we'll likely hit up Whataburger at some point along the journey.

Thought about bringing mountain bikes to ride to places as the car charges but didn't really find a good deal on a compatible roof rack so that idea got 86'd. We also have an inflatable kayak but I doubt we'll bring that either. Don't mind walking or outdoor activities as long as weather permits.

For food choices, you might browse through the history of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. They feature the small and local restaurants around the country. A list of the places they visited is available at https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives
I've used that as a resource quite a bit over the years while traveling. I was hoping to get some Tesla-specific pointers though from this crew. Hopefully pro tips on places to go where we can top off the battery while we're eating or sight seeing.

I was hoping to solicit some ideas for places we should see or routes we should take on an upcoming trip. We'll be taking the P85D so max range will be just shy of 250 miles. Bonus points if areas of interest have charging of some sort while we visit, are free to visit or both.

We'll be going south from Northern Colorado on I25 to Albuquerque, NM where we'll head East on I40.

Once on I40 that will be our primary road until we get to Nashville, TN. We'll be passing through the following larger cities:

Amarillo, TX
OKC, OK
Little Rock, AK
Memphis, TN

Once we leave Nashville we'll head North/NW towards St Louis where we'll take I70 West through Kansas City, MO back to Colorado & home.

The only non-Supercharger portion along this route will be the stretch between OKC and Little Rock as there are three Superchargers slated for completion this summer but, as of this post, non of them are online. There's a Super 8 in Fort Smith that has a destination charger so we may stop for a quick splash of juice for an hour or so or, if it's overnight, get a room and sleep in a bed.

We plan to nap and sleep in the car itself and only stay in rooms occasionally as the situation permits. As far as showers go we'll likely do drop-ins at Crossfit gyms and will prioritize the ones that have showers.

Other than staying with a friend in Nashville for a prolonged period (several days) we don't really have any firm plans or timelines. We plan to stop and check out each of the cities listed (for multiple days if we feel like it) as well as a couple other stops in Lynchburg to tour Jack Daniels as well as well as Cookeville TN to do a drop-in at Crossfit Mayhem.

My wife and I are big foodies so anyplace that you think are must-sees please offer them up. Especially BBQ. Not adverse to fast food unique to the area either as we'll likely hit up Whataburger at some point along the journey.

Thought about bringing mountain bikes to ride to places as the car charges but didn't really find a good deal on a compatible roof rack so that idea got 86'd. We also have an inflatable kayak but I doubt we'll bring that either. Don't mind walking or outdoor activities as long as weather permits.

You mentioned St Louis - not sure if your route takes you through it or not. If so, they are known for amongst other things, their BBQ. Family really liked Pappy’s.

Was amused when I saw the title of your thread and noted you live in CO. I frequently drive I70 from its Eastern origin in Maryland. The first mileage sign lists Denver on it which is always a bit of a shocker.. Have a great trip!