Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Tips for Taking Delivery This Weekend!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, FINALLY, the car that was only 800 miles away should arrive tonight to the SC. It took them 25 days. If inspection goes well, I should be able to take delivery on Saturday.

Does anyone have tips on what I should verify on the Inventory 2017 75D? Or are there things you wish you had looked at when you took delivery on yours? Also, if I'm expecting too much on things I've listed, please let me know!

Few things I came up with:
-Mileage should be around 600, even though when I put my deposit down, I was told the price went down $100 because they put on another 100 miles on it (400 + 100 = 500 miles day of deposit). It says 600 on the tentative proforma. So looks like they put on another 100 miles since. But if it's like 800+ or 1000+, I think it's a big deal right?

-Paint/exterior/interior. My expectation is, perfect. No swirl marks. No dents. Should be detailed and cleaned. If it's dirty, has paint chips, swirl marks, they should fix it right?

-Wheels. My expectation is, rims should all be perfect and tires new (though I don't know what kind of tires it comes with)

-Emblem should be centered. Yes I saw a youtube video of an X with the tesla Emblem off center!

-Has Premium upgrade package

-Has sub zero package
-Has basically everything listed on the paper they gave me when I put my deposit down.

At what point am I really stuck with the car? If worst case, car looked beat up, tires worn, rim scuffed, scratch and dents, etc., I can walk away and just lose 2500 right? My understanding is, once I signed the dotted line, it's done done and no going back. So would I be able to see the car and inspect the car before I sign?

How much time should I spent looking at the car before taking off? Sorry for all the questions...quite nervous about this!

I just delivery of my inventory S75 on Monday. My car had 6 miles on it, and never been put to use. I was told it went straight from the factory, to their warehouse, and now to me. I don't believe it had ever been washed either.

Tesla is smart. They actually make you pay for the car, sign all the papers, before they show you the car.

I am taking delivery next Tuesday and no way I am signing anything without inspecting the car, I don't care what "their" process is.

Having said that only in worst case scenario would I walk away after inspection. I would expect the car has everything stated as it is listed on the MyTesla site and you have your VIN so you could check the option list (I have already).

If they have washed it at any point be prepared for paint swirls. Mine is going directly from delivery to detailer for paint correction, coating and film. Would suggest similar and don't sweat the swirls.

Paint damage, chips, wheel damage, etc. all should be noted for correction on the delivery docs when you finally sign everything. I ouwld add panel alignment to your list and not clear from your post if it's an X or S you are picking up (mine's an S), but if an X I would check the falcon doors for operation and alignment and also the charging door (seen recent youtube where this was an issue).

Good luck and post back about your experience.

Congrats, we have a 2017 75D as well and love it. So fun to drive. Our delivery experience was to inspect the car first and then do the paperwork. This was at a showroom/service center location. Our car was waiting for us inside at the entrance to the service garage where this location would do their new car presentations. There was another car across from ours awaiting their new owner. While the garage doors were open and sunlight streaming in, with our car being Midnight Metallic it was still a bit hard to see all the surfaces due to shadows. In our case no big deal.

We did miss a light scratch we think might have been there at delivery due to its location on the car but we drove it to our detailer just 5-6 miles away and they took care of it before we got it wrapped.

Finally, FINALLY, the car that was only 800 miles away should arrive tonight to the SC. It took them 25 days. If inspection goes well, I should be able to take delivery on Saturday.

Does anyone have tips on what I should verify on the Inventory 2017 75D? Or are there things you wish you had looked at when you took delivery on yours? Also, if I'm expecting too much on things I've listed, please let me know!

-Mileage should be around 600, even though when I put my deposit down, I was told the price went down $100 because they put on another 100 miles on it (400 + 100 = 500 miles day of deposit). It says 600 on the tentative proforma. So looks like they put on another 100 miles since. But if it's like 800+ or 1000+, I think it's a big deal right?

-Paint/exterior/interior. My expectation is, perfect. No swirl marks. No dents. Should be detailed and cleaned. If it's dirty, has paint chips, swirl marks, they should fix it right?

-Wheels. My expectation is, rims should all be perfect and tires new (though I don't know what kind of tires it comes with)

-Emblem should be centered. Yes I saw a youtube video of an X with the tesla Emblem off center!

-Has sub zero package
-Has basically everything listed on the paper they gave me when I put my deposit down.

At what point am I really stuck with the car? If worst case, car looked beat up, tires worn, rim scuffed, scratch and dents, etc., I can walk away and just lose 2500 right? My understanding is, once I signed the dotted line, it's done done and no going back. So would I be able to see the car and inspect the car before I sign?

How much time should I spent looking at the car before taking off? Sorry for all the questions...quite nervous about this!

What month was it produced? Lots of improvements came out in July including the new motor that is 1 second faster, rear seats, and air suspension included for free. Not sure if you looked into that and tried building a new one and comparing it to what your getting inventory.

What month was it produced? Lots of improvements came out in July including the new motor that is 1 second faster, rear seats, and air suspension included for free. Not sure if you looked into that and tried building a new one and comparing it to what your getting inventory.
It was an inventory so probably made way before June. So to answer you question: No, no, no, no, no lol. I did tell my DS to have the service department install the latest performance updates while they are inspecting the car. We'll see lol.

So my expectation isn't too out of line: expecting the car to be in tiptop condition right when they deliver it.

I'm also hoping there is gonna be a Tesla Delivery experience and not a picking up your car at a Honda dealership kind of experience. The former, from what I've seen on youtube, looked so much fun...The latter is, a handshake, here are your keys, your car is in the middle of the lot, good luck finding it and don't come back unless you want to buy another car. Though this being a mainly SC, I don't even know if the car will be indoor. It's a small building.

...Does anyone have tips on what I should verify on the Inventory 2017 75D...If worst case, car looked beat up, tires worn, rim scuffed, scratch and dents, etc., I can walk away and just lose 2500 right?...If worst case, car looked beat up, tires worn, rim scuffed, scratch and dents, etc., I can walk away and just lose 2500 right?
I don't think you should expect new tires. You will not lose your deposit over the other things; either Tesla will fix them, compensate you, or you should demand your deposit back.

I just delivery of my inventory S75 on Monday...

I am taking delivery next Tuesday...
Let me ask a favor of all of you before I give my advice; would you find an iOS device, buy and run PowerTools (costs $7) and do a 0-60 run or two for me to post here. We could use some from inventory cars in the mix.

My advice
  1. Get a commitment over email that your cars have the upgraded performance; have it in writing in case it didn't get activated and you should be able to get it done later. If you forget to get something in writing you may never get it. Because you are buying out of inventory, all your cars should have the improved performance. It is not dependent on the new drive unit.
  2. Lookup your option codes from the URL in My Tesla before you go. Save the URL in a safe place and print the option codes as a reference before you go from the Tesla Options Decoder.
This may seem obvious but I know it has been overlooked at Tesla dealerships before:

Make sure you get plates and registration.
Make sure you get two keys
Make sure the price matches. Specifically if you used a code make sure that the discount is applied.
Make sure your invoice says unlimited supercharging.
Ask for the phone cable kit. If you have a phone with USB-C see if they will throw in the USB-C cable from the model 3.
Buy an assortment of mobile charger adapters if you plan to take roadtrips

Last edited:
Reactions: EnjoyingLife

-Has sub zero package

Make sure you know how to operate everything. It took me 500 miles to realize you had to push the washer sprayer past the first click to get it to actually spray. I figured the tank was just empty.

More money than brains apparently.