TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Seems like Tesla is getting ready to release some thing big

Discussion in 'Model S' started by WillK, Apr 19, 2018.

1. WillK

WillK Member

More frequent firmware updates. New navigation. New adas tiles. New speed sign updates. People talking about how their cars are uploading data to the mothership. New web browsers. Faster mcu1.
    This seems like a lot more activity.

Any thoughts about what might be in the works?

• Like x 1
  2. pkodali

pkodali Member

I hope you're right, but people thought the same thing in the fall of last year because of some NN code changes

3. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Well, we're still expecting "that big release" to which references were made at that Netherlands conference last Fall.

Presumably, aside from a Model 3 AWD announcement and an assurance that car 200,000 will be delivered domestically on or about July 1, thus ensuring a FULL HALF YEAR of tax credit-supported further domestic production (both of those being Big Deal announcements), that would leave the emergence of an EAP or FWD feature. Too early yet for the fabled interior refresh - that seems more of an October surprise along with the base 3 - if not pushed to next year. Also too early for the new SoC/board, which influences FSD...

• Like x 1
  4. outie

outie Active Member

To distract people from demanding or mentioning FSD, what else?

• Funny x 3
  5. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

It could also be that a lot of developers were working on getting the Model 3 systems up and running, who are now being returned to other projects.

• Like x 3
  6. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

It just seems that after 5 years, Tesla is finally getting its software development act together.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  7. chispas

chispas Member

I think Elon or someone else tweeted something like that

8. cmal

cmal Member

Since I finally bought a Model S this year, I'm expecting a complete redesign of the Model S with a 200kWH battery any day now.

• Funny x 32
    • Like x 3
  9. ricebucket

ricebucket Member

I think you're overreacting. The update pace was actually much faster early last year, before slowing down mid-year. And you should remember, things like new maps and browser updates have been talked about for a long long time, at least a year. This is all nothing new.

10. tjkessler

tjkessler Member

I have seen them hiring like crazy. I get calls and emails from their recruiters almost daily.

• Informative x 4
  11. azred

azred Active Member

HUD will be an option next week, I think.

So much excitement, I can hardly stand it. After seeing a video about the new browser, I’m jacked. 1999 and dial up modems are dancing in my head.

• Funny x 5
  12. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I think we've been on "8.1" for a year now.

I'm thinking 9.0 is coming soon, possibly with things like Nav waypoints and AP following Nav that have been teased for a while.

• Like x 1
  13. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Yeah, an FSD feature that isn’t EAP... maybe we’re gonna be promised that!!! Oh, wait.... :D

• Funny x 3
  14. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

There hasn't been any discussion so far of a major (9.0) release.

The changes we are seeing appear to primarily be driven by two things.

First, Tesla is working to get the Model 3 software at the same level as S/X. While the 3's appeared to have the new navigation software first, in other areas, functionality present in S/X has been missing for the 3's. As Tesla gets closer to having the 3 & S/X families at the same functionality level, it's likely they'll merge the source code - and release S/3/X software together, like we've been seeing with S/X.

Second, in parallel with the "production hell" with the Model 3, Tesla is also pushing aggressively forward on EAP/FSD. The new navigation software is on the critical path for FSD testing - because NAV 1.0 was severely limited due to the black box software used from Navigon/Garmin for routing and reliance on offline map databases stored onboard (and that are over 2 years old). NAV 2.0 uses online routing with a server that should have up-to-date mapping and real-time traffic data, which is critical to achieve the goals for EAP and FSD - having the AP software follow a route and properly detect entrance/exit ramps and roads/intersections.

Outside of that, we are seeing a few features also being released - such as the long-promised browser improvement.

We're still waiting for the long-promised media player improvements - including fixes to the problems introduced in the 8.0 release a year and a half ago.

And, there's still a long list of major improvements Musk has promised were coming - but not yet delivered - including screen mirroring (alternative to Apple CarPlay or Android Auto), user interface customization, ...

While it's possible Tesla may have a major software release under development (9.0 is overdue), with everything else going on, seems unlikely Tesla would do anything that might risk disruption of Model 3 rollout or EAP/FSD development. Instead, we may see additional small features dropped over the coming months and not a 'big bang' release of many new features.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

I think that all people are seeing is the results of a long-overdue rewrite.

I don't think it means that anything big is coming, just lots of small.

• Helpful x 1
  16. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

It's too bad the entertainment system developers aren't in on it.

• Like x 3
  17. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Member

Yes the entertainment system could do with some TLC...

18. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Imagine if all of the things Elon said would be delivered by now actually got delivered - and worked.

It’s a long list.

What I see lately is activity consistent with beginning to work through a significant backlog.

9.0? Heh. HA! Bwahahaheeheehoho. And HA! a second time. October maybe. Next year definitely. With the slightest chance of a teaser for July. That’s all the Kool Aid I haz at this time.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
  19. croman

croman Active Member

Probably 360 view or other gimmick rather than AP2 i guess... Just hoping it's something EAP or FSD but that's been an never ending disappointment so far...

• Love x 2
  20. f3honda4me

f3honda4me Member

There’s no way Tesla is going to stop US deliveries for several weeks just to hit 200k after July 1. That would be the opposite of what Tesla is trying to do right now. Especially with so many June deliveries built up from the model X/S line and trying to hit 6k per week for model 3.