Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seems there are big changes coming with vehicles produced after October 21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Say you hold off for a December delivery and need it for tax purposes. Do you have anything that can hold Tesla accountable to meet the deadline?

Yeah, don't order on Dec 24 and ask for a Dec 31 delivery. ;) Sarcasm aside, I'm in the same boat. I'm planning on putting my order in sometime during the first week or two of October. It'll be after the Semi reveal, after Q4 starts to see if there's any EOY incentives/changes, and enough time for all the Model 3 tech to settle down and migrate over to the S/X production lines while giving enough cushion for production snafus.

I am probably going to hold onto my current Model X until late 2019 or early 2020. Will probably get a 3 and an S in the mean time to fulfill my Tesla needs. For those of you are ordering let me know if I can assist in anyway to earn a referral :)

Yeah, don't order on Dec 24 and ask for a Dec 31 delivery. ;) Sarcasm aside, I'm in the same boat. I'm planning on putting my order in sometime during the first week or two of October. It'll be after the Semi reveal, after Q4 starts to see if there's any EOY incentives/changes, and enough time for all the Model 3 tech to settle down and migrate over to the S/X production lines while giving enough cushion for production snafus.

What's this semi reveal?
Are there improvements for x if we don't order this month?

Long haul Semi Truck will be revealed. And maybe some more exciting news.
There might be improvements for the Model X each month.
I'm happy with mine and will be also after any kind of reveal or upgrade ;-)
Well, you could conjecture that the extra part of the Semi Reveal is the news that all this new stuff is in all S's and X's after August 21. They can't tell you in September that there's new stuff starting in late October, that's the definition of Osbourning!

But that's just conjecture...

I still don't get why people are trying to time their Tesla orders. In 2015 Elon mentioned that "in an average week for the model S, there are 20 engineering changes". If we accept the fact that new changes happen continuously with Tesla then what's the point of timing? As soon as your car roll off the assembly line something new has already been added. You should order when you really need the car AND when you think that it has the technologies that make you happy. Any changes after that are good for when you order your next car. From my personal experience I certainly did not try to time my Tesla purchases the first in Feb 2015 and the second in Jan 2017.

Reactions: jnuyens
well, some of us want particular promised features, like FSD. And if there are changes made that make it less likely on our hardware and more likely on newer hardware, it absolutely makes sense to time the purchase to have more of the fitting hardware to the best of one's knowledge.
Obviously Tesla does not want to have any ordering gaps, so it's in their best interest for them to keep us in the dark and it's in our best interest to enlighten ourselves by any means possible (though at times it's already too late).

Obviously Tesla does not want to have any ordering gaps, so it's in their best interest for them to keep us in the dark and it's in our best interest to enlighten ourselves by any means possible (though at times it's already too late).

Exactly. This is the fundamental contradiction in all such product-related information giving and gathering. The company and the consumer have very different interests.

well, some of us want particular promised features, like FSD. And if there are changes made that make it less likely on our hardware and more likely on newer hardware, it absolutely makes sense to time the purchase to have more of the fitting hardware to the best of one's knowledge.

Yes absolutely, if there are some features that you particularly want then wait for them if you can. This is what I meant "you should order when you really need the car AND when you think that it has the technologies that make you happy". But even FSD will continually evolve over time (percentage of time FSD can work given the environment) so you can't time for the perfect FSD.