Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self /Auto Park sucks!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used the Self / Auto park yesterday. I pulled up next to a car and put the car in reverse. I selected the auto park button and let the car parallel park. The car proceeded to back up into the space. It then pulled forward to straighten out but came too close to the curb and the front right rim rubbed ... luckily i hit the brakes and stopped the car. i now have about 4 inches of curb rash on my rim. Thanks Tesla!!!

Used the Self / Auto park yesterday. I pulled up next to a car and put the car in reverse. I selected the auto park button and let the car parallel park. The car proceeded to back up into the space. It then pulled forward to straighten out but came too close to the curb and the front right rim rubbed ... luckily i hit the brakes and stopped the car. i now have about 4 inches of curb rash on my rim. Thanks Tesla!!!

I had a similar experience while doing the test drive on an XP90D, and wondered had it been my own car, if I would have had any recourse to claim damages

I really hope that this stuff is ironed out by the time I get my X.

This almost happened to me too. I never fully trust these things so I was watching closely and immediately braked when I noticed it was going to to hit the curb. I don't let it auto park anymore. I just don't trust it. I do a better job myself.

I've generally had it perform correctly. I do notice that it comes closer to curbs, other cars, etc. than I would, but haven't had any autopark-inflicted curb rash. As @Sir Guacamolaf points out it's generally slower than an experienced human driver. Consequently I never use it if I see approaching traffic in the vicinity (although one time I missed seeing someone and made him wait for autopark to finish, he gave me a smile and a thumbs up when he realized the car was parking itself).

Bruce.

Reactions: Andyw2100 and Anssi
no new news here. there have been many postings about how this feature is not ready for prime time.

Maybe the software uses the same flawed lines displayed on the backup camera?

IMG_7852.JPG

Don't use Auto park! Plain and simple!

I used it a few times when the car was new, but frankly it was too slow for my liking (guy honking behind you because you are taking forever to || park). .. but also, I had zero faith in it's ability to park in tight spaces.

I wonder if other cars are better at self parking? Anyone know?
+1. It's a nice novelty trick, even my wife prefers to park on her own.

• Disagree
Reactions: caps04
Maybe the software uses the same flawed lines displayed on the backup camera?

Autopark doesn't use the rear camera at all, just the parking sensors. That's why you have to have cars on each side of you when perpendicular parking or fore/aft when parallel parking.

(Well for AP1.0 hardware anyway. I have no idea how this will work with AP2.0 hardware.)

Bruce.

Surprised to hear it hit the curb. I've found it to leave me further from the curb than I'd like most of the time. I rarely use it tho because it's too slow for me, as others have mentioned and I don't trust it in tight spaces. This thread justifies my concerns for the latter.