Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self Built Spare Tire Compartment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a spare tire from Amazon along with a scissor jack. Put the spare in the rear cargo hold and built a compartment to hold tire and kit. Built the compartment out of plywood and then covered it with matching black carpet. Looks as if it came from the factory. Still have room for groceries and other items. Two items behind tire are on the back of the rear seats which are folded. Rear seats can either be down or up with no interference of tire compartment.
IMG_4759.jpeg

Have you had need to use a spare?

I actually have and it was incredibly inconvenient (poor timing right before a business trip), local shop didn’t have the right size ect.. ended up paying a lot to get a summer tire manually driven over by the tire shop employee and had my wheel damaged by their machine. Purchased another tire to match my all seasons.

I went through this ordeal because I couldn’t have Tesla flatbed the car to a service center since I was flying out that night.

All that said to say, I completely understand why the OP is doing this. . When I looked for ways to mitigate this in the future I couldn’t find a spare wheel that supported the weight of the car, besides another large tire. Hence my concerns with the OPs set up.

I just got a tire kit from Modern Spare. I tried it out and it worked pretty good. (I'm guessing it's the same tire rsusi got from Amazon) It's pretty beefy for a donut spare. It is limited to 50 MPH. Driving at low speeds, I couldn't tell it was there. It has an adapter hub that mounts to the Tesla hub. If you have one and imagine changing it yourself, I highly recommend practicing in your driveway!
IMG_3508.JPEG
IMG_3509.JPEG

• Funny
Reactions: X-pilot and P85_DA
Check out the storage in the 5 Seat Model X:
Thank you for the pictures. I'd been looking at getting that spare but couldn't find any pictures with a MX actually using it. Having been stranded before in the middle of nowhere on a road trip with no cell signal and a flat tire on my MX and after getting towed to the nearest town have Tesla Roadside saying I was SoL is no fun. This spare would at least get me back on the road and closer to a service center.

You positive the spare can handle the weight of the x?

Not sure about the Amazon one, but the ModernSpare tire has 115 load rating (2679 lbs.) which exceeds the stock wheels. I calculate it has about 1” smaller overall height (diameter), so Pi” smaller circumference, which is manageable. If the wheel itself is certified to sufficiently high load, it looks like a good option for temporary spare.

Thanks for posting. I always figured roadside assistance would be sufficient for me, but I am planning on driving down to FL for the holidays, so maybe this is a good option for the open highway.

I have ever only had one flat tire in about the last 30 years. I figure the overall chance is very low, at least it has been in my case. I am not sure if I want to spend money on something I may never need for a single trip, but I will have to give it some thought.

Thanks for posting. I always figured roadside assistance would be sufficient for me, but I am planning on driving down to FL for the holidays, so maybe this is a good option for the open highway.

I have ever only had one flat tire in about the last 30 years. I figure the overall chance is very low, at least it has been in my case. I am not sure if I want to spend money on something I may never need for a single trip, but I will have to give it some thought.
Geez! I've had probably 5 flats in the last 20 years. 3 of them were unrepairable. Most recently was in the Model X:
IMG_3066.jpg

No goop and air compressor was gonna work here! There was no mounted spare in the Tesla system. We were headed out of town to a wedding and had to get flatbedded back home and took the Honda to the wedding. (The spare wouldn't have been a good choice to continue to the wedding but might have saved some time.)

Reactions: X-pilot
No offense intended, but that Modern Spare on that X looks like those old cartoons where the driver stuck a wooden crutch on a missing wheel. The one where the back of the vehicle hops along picking up the crutch and moving it forward and down again.

• Funny
Reactions: boaterva