Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self Detailing Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have a 2015 Model S that is black in very good condition, i regularly wash the car, but thats about it. Naturally there are swirls and scratches in the paint now. ive been doing some research and want to DIY detail. here are some steps that i have come up with. Let me know if you guys can add anything!

1. wash car, dry with microfiber
2. use clay bar with wet lubricant to go over vehicle to remove impurities on clear coat
3. use compound with electric polisher to go over vehicle
4. use wax.

which wax do you guys like? sprays? any recommendations would be great. thanks!

Wax is a thing of the past unless you just want to apply it regularly.

Ceramic: CQurtz UK3. I'd say is one the best bang for your buck coatings
topper: There's so many out there these days with good chemical resistance, durability etc. I've used Carpro Reload, Hydrosilex Recharge, The Last Coat 2.0. But recently there's been some decent products from the regulars like meguairs, mothers and turtle wax. Really you can't go wrong with any of them just depends on what you feel like paying and how often you want/need to reapply the topper.

I would make sure you use a real ceramic coating as a base instead of just a topper if you want the best results. If you're going thru the effort of paint correction do it right the first time with an actual ceramic then apply toppers to maintain the coating.

has anyone used this? any good?

I used it on my red MS. Here's one shot of the result. I think the reflection looks great.

Attachments

• IMG_5571.jpeg
    IMG_5571.jpeg
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 130
Make sure you study up on how to apply cutting compound, and use the proper applicator pad as well. Tesla paint is pretty soft - if you push too hard for too long you can cut through the paint.

I'd also suggest adding a step after the cut - do a round of polish using a polishing pad before doing a ceramic coat. You want to start with the something more course, and finish with something finer, then seal it in.

After claybar I have been using the 3M 06064 machine polish with PC orbital at about 1800rpms for two years now, earlier it was just synthetic followed by carnauba waxing, now the car maintains that shiny coat longer.