Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self Directed IRA discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have USAA and want to move my entire 401k / roth / sep ira over to a brokerage that will allow me to get into the private deal.

I guess Interactive Brokers seems to be the only one? Never really done this before, so when you move it over, does USAA sell and I have to re-buy at the new bank's account?

I have USAA and want to move my entire 401k / roth / sep ira over to a brokerage that will allow me to get into the private deal.

I guess Interactive Brokers seems to be the only one? Never really done this before, so when you move it over, does USAA sell and I have to re-buy at the new bank's account?

I moved brokerages once - you do a straight transfer so no buying or selling of assets is involved. So if you own 100 TSLA shares, they transfer those 100 shares to the new brokerage without going into and out of cash. (Or at least in a way that is transparent to the customer and doesn't trigger any tax events.)

I just made sure to download all my records from the old brokerage as I assume I will eventually lose login access to my old empty account.

I just got a response from TDA and it echoes the non-response response that is posted up-thread:

"Thank you for reaching out and great question!

At the time we only know what has been publicly announced. Regrettably, we are unable to comment on what would happen to your shares if the company were to go private as that would be speculative.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but I hope it helps. You may also wants to contact Tesla's Investors Services directly at Privacy & Legal | Tesla

We appreciate you choosing TD Ameritrade, have a wonderful afternoon"​

All of our shares are in my wife’s self directed IRA at TDA. I’m less worried about that being an issue than needing to be accredited, which we are about 5% short of!

If needed I’m confident I can match the gains via real estate investing(my current business) but it will take a lot more work. I like the idea of this being in Tesla while I do real estate with post tax funds, my idea of diversification. This particular IRA is 100% TSLA.

Reactions: UncaNed
Update for those who can't wade through the other threads, according to AIMC, TD Ameritrade may be an option.
Elon Musk vs. Short sellers
I would agree with this, I spoke to TD trading desk and they didn't suspect there would be any issue having private company in a self directed Roth. Now I don't think they were comfortable telling me 100 percent as they wanted to see how the deal "fleshed out", but they seemed fairly confident I would be able to convert a self directed account. Do your own research - I cant guarantee any of this - I'm waiting to hear more from Tesla and the privatization plan.

• Helpful
Reactions: CatB
My TSLA shares are in a Fidelity IRA. An email exchange with Fidelity concerning the holding of private shares in a Fidelity IRA resulted in a (not surprising) non answer similar to responses from other posts in this thread:
"Because TSLA has not yet gone private, whether this will be possible at Fidelity cannot/has not yet been determined,...."
However, the other kicker was this statement:
"To hold privately held shares at Fidelity, you need to have a minimum of $1 million in assets at Fidelity..."

Sorry been busy guys at my new Start-up gig in SF.

Should I be worried about my 752 shares in IRA at fidelity. Am I gonna miss out on rolling shares in to private Tesla?

Do I need to have shares sent to my house??!!!

Help! Do we know answer?

What is safe thing to do.

Thanks!!!!!

If you own a stock in an IRA that gets delisted, it doesn't get kicked out of the IRA does it? I would think the only thing that happens is liquidity is reduced.
I have no useful information, but I speculate that you won't have de-listed TSLA shares. Instead, you'll probably do an exchange of TSLA for some other security. So the question becomes: will your broker allow you to hold this new security? At least, that's my guess.

• Helpful
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
Update for those who can't wade through the other threads, according to AIMC, TD Ameritrade may be an option.
Elon Musk vs. Short sellers

I'm getting a different response below from TD Ameritrade today - it's a No, not a Maybe. They may hear a sucking sound of money leaving then. Therefore if Tesla doesn't manage it with their own new account (hopeful), then Plan B is to roll into one of the Custodian companies listed.

Q: Is that a taxable event given I'm a young 58 or can that also be a roll-over?

(And I thought "Custody" was a thing of the past for me.)

From TDA:

"Thank you for writing. If Tesla does go private you would not be able to invest in it through TD Ameritrade. If they do go private you would not be able to invest in it with other brokerages either. If you want to transfer the assets in this account to another bank or brokerage the assets would have to go to another Traditional or Rollover IRA to avoid tax penalties. It is best to speak with a tax advisor for penalties and exceptions. If you do have any additional questions or concerns, please respond. We value you as a client and we're always happy to assist in any way we can.

Sincerely,

Ben Houston
TD Ameritrade Client Services
TD Ameritrade, Inc."

I'm getting a different response below from TD Ameritrade today - it's a No, not a Maybe. They may hear a sucking sound of money leaving then. Therefore if Tesla doesn't manage it with their own new account (hopeful), then Plan B is to roll into one of the Custodian companies listed.

Q: Is that a taxable event given I'm a young 58 or can that also be a roll-over?

From TDA:

"Thank you for writing. If Tesla does go private you would not be able to invest in it through TD Ameritrade. If they do go private you would not be able to invest in it with other brokerages either. If you want to transfer the assets in this account to another bank or brokerage the assets would have to go to another Traditional or Rollover IRA to avoid tax penalties. It is best to speak with a tax advisor for penalties and exceptions. If you do have any additional questions or concerns, please respond. We value you as a client and we're always happy to assist in any way we can.

Sincerely,

Ben Houston
TD Ameritrade, Inc."

Another friend just sent me this link: So if TD does not allow they will be losing a lot of business. How to Use a Self Directed IRA to Invest in a Private Company

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
For those of you who are influential tweeters and can bend Elon Musk's ear. . .

Persuade him to form a qualified pension trust as a part of the privatization of Tesla, and then roll your shares over in kind to the Tesla IRA trust F/B/O the various individuals who choose to do this. This is a trustee-to-trustee transfer and is tax-free.

Tesla should restrict this trust to Tesla shares only. No cash, no other assets. When a beneficiary wants to liquidate, his shares would be sold internally with the cash forwarded to the beneficiary (or shares transferred to a taxable account).

I really do not see this structure as being contrary to Title 26. I cannot comment whether this would run afoul of other titles or not.

Persuade him to form a qualified pension trust as a part of the privatization of Tesla, and then roll your shares over in kind to the Tesla IRA trust F/B/O the various individuals who choose to do this. This is a trustee-to-trustee transfer and is tax-free.

Tesla should restrict this trust to Tesla shares only. No cash, no other assets. When a beneficiary wants to liquidate, his shares would be sold internally with the cash forwarded to the beneficiary (or shares transferred to a taxable account).

I really do not see this structure as being contrary to Title 26. I cannot comment whether this would run afoul of other titles or not.

Thanks. I think this is the type of instrument he is working on.

Reactions: neroden

IANAL, IANACPA, and the more I read, the more confused I get. Would this approach allow me to effectively (but not literally) keep my TSLAP interests in a self-directed IRA (401K rollover), a non-deductible IRA, and my personal (non retirement) investment account? My mind has been spinning about whether or not I should donate shares in the investment account to the non-deductible IRA in case I have to cash out the investment account in order to preserve the shares in the 401K rollover (since something I read in this forum implied I can’t have both).
Hoping I have time to figure this out before I should’ve done stuff...
This is just so crazy. And with stock so “on sale” I’m tempted to double-down a bit and buy more - but in which account? Oh my head hurts...

Reactions: neroden

From TDA:

Sincerely,

Ben Houston
TD Ameritrade, Inc."

OK, thanks for giving me permission to copy/paste your email from your TD rep. I sent it to mine. Not sure of how 'titles' go there but mine is a 'senior financial analyst'.....His response to the note from your rep:

Al,

I just checked on this again, and was assured once again that we have in no way made a determination on whether or not you will be allowed to hold the shares. I apologize that you are getting different responses, but the response below is not accurate. I was told if TSLA goes private, we will evaluate it on a security level, as well as a client specific level, meaning there will not necessarily be a general rule, and there certainly has not been one put in place thus far. I rolled this response up to make sure this is not something our back office is continuing to tell clients, as this has not been decided on.

I’m sorry for vague response, but that is all we can say for certain at this point, and anything beyond that we be speculation. I will be sure to let you know if I get any other information on it and again apologize for the confusion.

Let me know if you’d like to speak more about it, or if you have any other questions.

IANAL, IANACPA, and the more I read, the more confused I get. Would this approach allow me to effectively (but not literally) keep my TSLAP interests in a self-directed IRA (401K rollover), a non-deductible IRA, and my personal (non retirement) investment account? My mind has been spinning about whether or not I should donate shares in the investment account to the non-deductible IRA in case I have to cash out the investment account in order to preserve the shares in the 401K rollover (since something I read in this forum implied I can’t have both).
Hoping I have time to figure this out before I should’ve done stuff...
This is just so crazy. And with stock so “on sale” I’m tempted to double-down a bit and buy more - but in which account? Oh my head hurts...

Qualified pension plans, including IRAs, Roth IRAs, SIMPLE IRAs, are trusts. (Read all about them in IRC 400 onward. Fun stuff.) The trust/trustee is the legal owner of the assets, while the person is the beneficial owner. You are the beneficial owner of your Rollover IRA and your traditional IRA, while your broker/bank/mutual fund company is the legal owner as trustee. These are special kinds of trusts ginned up by Congress to defer income taxes and provide for retirement. They enjoy some benefits of ordinary trusts, but have their own special place in the law.

You state that you have both a rollover IRA [from your 401(k)] and a traditional IRA. You ought to have two separate accounts/trusts for those two different accounts. Don't have to, but it makes one's life much easier when our lives take crazy twists and turns. Regardless, since you have a traditional IRA that was non-deductible, you have basis in your traditional IRA. You should have been filing form 8606 each year with your 1040 to inform the Service what your basis is in all your IRAs. Because . . . .

When we finally take distributions from our IRAs, (except for Roth IRAs) we cannot pick and choose which ones we take the funds from in order to report any income on our returns. Whether we have one IRA or twelve, the balances of all our IRAs at 12/31 of the prior year serve as the denominator of a fraction. Our basis in our IRAs (read non-deductible IRA) serves as the numerator. That ratio is then multiplied by the dollar amount of the distribution to determine the taxable portion of the distribution. For example:

Balance at 12/31/25 of your rollover IRA from the 401(k): $750,000
Balance at 12/31/25 of your traditional IRA (all non-deductible) 125,000

Total IRA at 12/31/25 $875,000

$125,000/$875,000 = .1429. Accordingly, if you receive a distribution from one or both of your IRAs in 2026, one-seventh of the distribution will be a recovery of basis and is tax-free. Your $35,000 distribution would be taxed on $30,000. While you could choose to take the distribution from the Tesla stock, non-deductible account, you will still have to pay income taxes on 6/7 of the distribution or vice-versa if you took the distribution from your rollover IRA.

Self-directed simply means that you choose the investment allocations, buys and sells, etc, rather than having a third party do the investing for you. But there will always be the trustee to hold title to the assets and do all necessary compliance reporting.

I am unclear, nor do I remember anything at all about any prohibition on owning shares individually and through a qualified plan.

Thx, yes, accountant has been filing those things, I’ve just been saving like I’ve been told to ;-).
And buying TSLA because I want to - I find the stock nearly as addictive as the car and this forum - lol.
At this point I’m just hoping I don’t have to liquidate the TSLA in any of the 3 accounts.