Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self driving “all bed”, better than a truck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dww12

Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2018
San Antonio
Could a self driving “all bed” car be built on the model 3 platform? This would be a flat deck just above the top of wheels from the front to the back (6ft x 15ft) with pop up side rails. No seats, no steering wheel, no AC, just a interface pad on the side. It could follow behind you like a trailer (but not physically attached) or be sent off on it’s own. This should cost less than a model 3 to build and would have more utility than a typical truck since none of the space is wasted for humans and the bed would be huge. It could also be used to make a really nice pop up travel trailer. If this existed would you still prefer a truck?

• Funny
Reactions: Togg and Watts_Up
Could a self driving “all bed” car be built on the model 3 platform? This would be a flat deck just above the top of wheels from the front to the back (6ft x 15ft) with pop up side rails. No seats, no steering wheel, no AC, just a interface pad on the side. It could follow behind you like a trailer (but not physically attached) or be sent off on it’s own. This should cost less than a model 3 to build and would have more utility than a typical truck since none of the space is wasted for humans and the bed would be huge. It could also be used to make a really nice pop up travel trailer. If this existed would you still prefer a truck?
Perhaps U-Haul or Penske or another rental company could special order and Tesla could supply when orders dip (keep production lines full)
Could be Tesla doesn't need any extra demand just yet.
Couldn't your "all bed truck"follow most any car ??:)

Yeah, maybe a qr sticker on your bumper or some bluetooth box that transmits your car/trucks acceleration/deceleration data so in never gets so close as to hit you in emergency braking. Of course it would also be connected to you with the phone app in case you somehow got more than a car length away.

On long trips it could also “disengage” and park next to you in normal parking spots.

Where are all the cameras going to be mounted?

Tesla's current approach has three in the middle of the car facing forward, and most of the cameras well above your deck height.

If the positions are substantially different, they might need the NN to be different.

If you're planning on taking this onto the freeway or even faster local roads, you really need a fairing at the front to keep the airstream from picking up all your cargo and throwing it all over the place. That also might help with drag/efficiency (and could be part of the answer about camera placement.)

I'm not sure having a vehicle that can never carry people is a great plan - right now, you'd typically go to the store to buy the big cargo, then go home with it. I suppose you could take two cars, but that seems inelegant. Maybe you can have removable or foldable/stowable crashworthy seats?

Interesting concept; needs some refinement but has potential.

But on a traditional semi most have a aerodynamic cap on top of the cab to push the air more smoothly out of the way of the trailer/cargo.
Aerodynamics wise you want some higher structure at the front, this also gives you a place to put high mount cameras, by the time it is long enough to affect aerodynamics it is likely big enough to make room for a center seated driver..........

Yes it would have a front faring. All the cameras would be in exactly the same place... the dash camera may need to be different but could be on a bar that swings our of the way for loading/unloading, and the side pilars would need a verticle bar too. If you loaded a piano or pool table that might be a problem with the FFC. It would be better if the FFC could just be mounted high in the front on the faring, but like you said it would not see EXACTLY like a M3 anymore.

No accommodations/expenses for people would be the entire point. Hopefully cost $20,000 with 150+ mile range. So $18,000 more than a trailer, but $80,000 less than an EV truck, and it would haul a lot more. And you could rent it on the TN and make way more than the $30k/yr a M3 would make... and you would rent it because nobody pukes in a trailer.

Where I am not sure this works is where you have a M3 and want to go surfing or have other cargo that is just too big/bulky/scratch&stain prone to go in the M3. Do you take an ICE SUV, this “all bed self driving trailer” or do you add a tow hitch and put a carrier on. We have a vacation rental and use our old ICE SUV to carry all the supplies/equipment. I don’t have a good EV option but don’t know that my self driving trailer would be better because in this case it is overkill. However, if it cost me $20k and I could rent it back out for $30k/yr I would get over it pretty fast.