Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self-Driving Car: Is it a big deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was learning to drive in the late forties of the last century, I knew where all the immediate cars were at all times and at 12 or so was getting my Mom's car out of snowbanks when we lived in Minnesota. Now, not so much, as I am 78. I suspect by 80 there will be restrictions on my driving. A self-driving car might be desirable for someone like me with old-timers' disease. I am haunted by the memory of a little-old-lady driving on the wrong side of the road a few years ago, and then in my rear view mirror she turned left into a four lane road continuing on the wrong side. I've always wondered what happened to her. Further, the mother of an acquaintance at 92 committed unintentional suicide under the wheels of a ten wheeler a few years ago.

We do have a growing and dangerous aging population, but self-driving cars can't be the only solution.

Another thought. We have examples already of self-driving cars. Isn't that what Uber is about?

after all the pages I just read about autonomous driving I don't think any of you mentioned this video

Infiniti Q50 Active Lane Control - Selfdriving Car - YouTube

"one idiot was dumb enough to climb out of the driver's seat while his car cruised down the highway. The car in question is a new Infiniti Q50, which has Active Lane Control and adaptive cruise control. Both of which essentially turn the Q50 into an autonomous vehicle while at highway speeds"

Obviously at least one car does this without having you keep your hand on the wheel. It'd be nice if they would add a weight sensor to the driver seat and have the vehicle come to a controlled stop if you left the drivers seat, though I can imagine that being a pain if the sensor malfunctioned on you while you were actually in the seat I suppose there could be a prompt on the MFD with a choice to acknowledge by button or stalk on the steering wheel assembly.

Maybe that guy was inspired by this? :

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait to trade my current $1500/year insurance for a $100/year 95% autopilot. 5% manual (human) policy.

Can't wait for self-parking.

Can't wait for sleeping on long trips.

Can't wait for reading a book on long trips.

Can't wait for a black box which will reveal human error in the event of accident.

Can't wait to summon a car to pick up my kids from school, take them to piano practice and then pick them up, all WITHOUT ME IN THE CAR.

Full driverless vehicles (a la Google) are the 3-5 year future.

Autopilot will arrive by 2015.

And all it's going to take is some idiot high schoolers and some RADAR jamming devices and the whole house of cards comes collapsing to the ground.

For truly autonomous vehicles it will have to be a pseudo-public run infrastructure. And almost surely on dedicated infrastructure.

It's amazing to me to see the faith and complete trust people will put in technology.

What's amazing to me is to see just how innumerate some people are with regard to the actual risks of driving.

Driving is already the most dangerous activity most humans will ever participate in.

I'd love to read some articles you've written about the dangers of humans behind the wheel and how much trust we should put in them ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

And all it's going to take is some idiot high schoolers and some RADAR jamming devices and the whole house of cards comes collapsing to the ground.

For truly autonomous vehicles it will have to be a pseudo-public run infrastructure. And almost surely on dedicated infrastructure.

Sorry but this is totally wrong. Radar is a single data input. Google (for example) uses radar, Lidar, GPS, map, cameras. So even in your "radar jamming" hypothetical, the car would still have 4-6 different data streams to allow for continued driving.

But assume that the radar is essential, the car will fail and pull over. Not sure how that's different than any other system failure in a car that can cause a shutdown.

Hey, I've heard that people are able to bring cars to a complete halt with this thing called "broken glass" . . . maybe we should be driving around on solid tires because, you know . . . teenagers.

Sorry but this is totally wrong. Radar is a single data input. Google (for example) uses radar, Lidar, GPS, map, cameras. So even in your "radar jamming" hypothetical, the car would still have 4-6 different data streams to allow for continued driving.

But assume that the radar is essential, the car will fail and pull over. Not sure how that's different than any other system failure in a car that can cause a shutdown.

Yes but GPS/map isn't really useful in autonomous driving. Cameras are the best solution as they are hard to interfere with discretely.

But having more than a couple of cars pull over at the same spot due to 'conflicting information' will bring the whole road to a slow crawl.

The other issues are legacy vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists that all use the same space. And other road hazards. Dedicated infrastructure isn't a stretch for fully autonomous vehicles.

It's amazing to me to see the faith and complete trust people will put in technology.

I'm a technology believer and advocate, but have to be realistic about how long it takes a technology to mature.
I've had autocorrect on my phone for years... it is trying to do a fairly finite thing, and still gets it wrong an amazing amount of time. I can tell when TMC posters are using tapatalk: "break" for "brake". Will probably be useful and mature in another decade. On the other hand, auto-suggest is extremely helpful shortcut to typing today.
I'm a fan of assist today, would not be an early adopter of autonomous. Unfortunately, I do not get a choice. Driving is a community sport, and if others are adopting it, I'm adopting it by just being on road with them. Mature or not.
And, do I trust our NTHSA or other government agency to be a good judge of "mature enough"? Do I trust my fellow drivers to understand their role in a new autonomous or semi-autonomous world? No and no. Wish there could be beta roads that I could opt out of, but that's impractical.

If I could have handed my parents the keys to a self-driving car instead of taking away their car keys and freedom, I would have been grateful.

Self-driving cars will change the way we age, in a very positive way. Instead of becoming isolated because of lack of transportation options, people will still be actively engaged in life. Society will look back and see self-driving cars as far more disruptive than electric cars. Think of the bolus of baby boomers about to hit (or who have hit) retirement age and think about what that means in 20 years.

I'm torn between "That's frickin' awesome!" and "They're frickin' insane!"

That technology is cool, but videos like this are going to invite disaster. People are going to want to 1) recreate it, and 2) out-do it. I definitely see the possibility of bad things coming from this.

Stunt drivers do crazy things all the time, and it states in the video that they disabled some safety features of the car in order to allow them to do this stunt. If someone wants to recreate this, I say go for it, since that would just be darwinism at work. Not many (smart) people would do something so reckless.

Yes but GPS/map isn't really useful in autonomous driving. Cameras are the best solution as they are hard to interfere with discretely.

But having more than a couple of cars pull over at the same spot due to 'conflicting information' will bring the whole road to a slow crawl.

The other issues are legacy vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists that all use the same space. And other road hazards. Dedicated infrastructure isn't a stretch for fully autonomous vehicles.

You should probably read up a bit more on how these are used.

The GPS gives a location to compare against camera data and maps data. These provide something called redundancy. This allows the computer to have a greater degree of confidence with regard to safety and are ESSENTIAL.

Your example is still identical to broken glass. One car drives over the glass, pulls over. Next car, same. How are we going to deal with this growing glass-splosion?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I believe that not driving is, at times, much more dangerous.

Like being a pedestrian or on a bike?:wink: