Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self Driving Hugs the Left Side of Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 MS Raven, on self driving, usually hugs the left side of the lane to the point I am uneasy. Friday, on the open road, it was driving right in the middle of the lane. I was thrilled. Leaving my destination Sunday, a warning about camera for self driving may be available later. Never seen that before. Driving manually, I stopped 1 1/2 hours later to charge. After charging, the car again was hugging the left side of the lane on self driving.

Does anyone know what causes that? I would love to have it track in the center of the lane.

Thank you in advance.

I've had my 2014 AP1 P85D demonstrate the same behavior occasionally but to the right side of the lane. It doesn't happen very frequently but often times it happens after I've run it through the car wash although it's not limited to only this action. When it does this I let it go if there's no cars in that lane and after about 15-20 seconds it will drift back to the center and stay there the rest of the drive. If there's a vehicle in the other lane I have to manually take over to center it otherwise it would make contact with that vehicle. It even displays the right-side-bias on the ICU so it's not like it doesn't know it's not doing this and thinks it's in the middle of the lane. Our 2015 AP1 70D has done it a couple of times (FAR less frequently) and when it does it goes to the left side of the line like you describe. I think it's only happened on this car maybe a couple of times that I'm aware of in over a year of ownership though so I'd say it's very insignificant. If it wasn't for the P85D I wouldn't even think twice about it being anything more than a one in a thousand (or more) anomaly. The fact that it happens so frequently in the P85D though is cause for concern. No other real issues or problems with the AP1 system or execution in either car other than that.

My 2019 MS Raven, on self driving, usually hugs the left side of the lane to the point I am uneasy. Friday, on the open road, it was driving right in the middle of the lane. I was thrilled. Leaving my destination Sunday, a warning about camera for self driving may be available later. Never seen that before. Driving manually, I stopped 1 1/2 hours later to charge. After charging, the car again was hugging the left side of the lane on self driving.

Does anyone know what causes that? I would love to have it track in the center of the lane.

Thank you in advance.

I've been having the exact same issue with my Model 3 long-range.

Here's the video I made for the service center technician:

(the problem wasn't solved yet)

Thanks guys, sounds like a systemic problem. Seems like an easy fix to track the middle of the lane, but I guess not. I don't activate FSD if a car is on my left since the car sort of serves to that side. I know it's not going to hit them, but they don't know that. I wait till they pass me. Could have worse problems on the road....

Well...happy trails and we'll keep loving the smooth, quiet ride and no exhaust emissions.

Jim-Bob

• Love
Reactions: sdmack
Mine does the same thing now that I started looking at it. Seems to be worse on 2 lane roads than on a larger highway type road.

Attachments

• IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: E-curb
JJBTXModS: Hope you are enjoying your MS. Thanks for the picture.
I haven't tried FSD on a two lane road, So Cal traffic is not condusive. As I said, it was odd that on Friday the car was centered in the middle, then Sunday it was left oriented. I guess we'll have to wait and see if an update fixes it.

Thank you in advance.

At what speeds do you notice it?

I've been having the exact same issue with my Model 3 long-range.

Here's the video I made for the service center technician:

(the problem wasn't solved yet)

I myself don't expect AP to perform at high speeds (80+) as well as it does at low speeds.

At what speeds do you notice it?

I myself don't expect AP to perform at high speeds (80+) as well as it does at low speeds.

Russell: I don't drive fast, today I was doing about 70 on the freeway in So.Cal. The picture posted by JJBTXModS is pretty much how the car tracks. It's in the lane, but not centered. Today I noticed the guy left of me was aware of me being not centered. My car had the "warning" of an object on my left show up on the display, as he was on the right side of his lane. In my original post, I was driving to Las Vegas and the car was really well centered in the lane, cruising about 75. But coming home it was leaning left.