Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self-Driving or Not?

Get Self-Driving Now?

• Yes

Votes: 42 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 69 62.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't let Tesla bully you into buying FSD now just because they want more money later. Why does it cost more later? It is somehow more difficult to change a 0 to a 1 in the computer that way?

Do this. When FSD is ready, call up Tesla and say "Hey Tesla, I will buy FSD, but I am only offering the original $3000 and not this BS arbitrary higher $5000 price you want for it because I already have the car. Deal or no deal?".
Tesla : NO DEAL!

Don't let Tesla bully you into buying FSD now just because they want more money later. Why does it cost more later? It is somehow more difficult to change a 0 to a 1 in the computer that way?

Do this. When FSD is ready, call up Tesla and say "Hey Tesla, I will buy FSD, but I am only offering the original $3000 and not this BS arbitrary higher $5000 price you want for it because I already have the car. Deal or no deal?".

They are just going to laugh at you?

I was just thinking the same thing yesterday while talking about it to a friend. Flipping a bit in the a database somewhere hah. Who knows if this is the case though. Would be nice to unlock performance mode or track mode :)

I just upgraded to software version 2018.26.1 two day ago. It could be me; however, it now appears to nag me every 60 second to put my hand on the wheel. Previously I could drive all the way to work without a single nag. My cynical thought driving into work this morning was that this is intentional and that we will be told in August that the hands on the wheel nag goes away if you pay for FSD.

I just upgraded to software version 2018.26.1 two day ago. It could be me; however, it now appears to nag me every 60 second to put my hand on the wheel. Previously I could drive all the way to work without a single nag. My cynical thought driving into work this morning was that this is intentional and that we will be told in August that the hands on the wheel nag goes away if you pay for FSD.
Yes. It nags you every 60 seconds on the dot now. Plenty of videos about it.

No.

I don't know what Musk has said on twitter, but he's almost certainly doing it to trick people into buying it in order to increase 3rd quarter sales in an attempt for Tesla to be profitable to investors.

I doubt very much that they're all of a sudden going to be cranking out FSD features next month when I believe EAP is still lacking some features of APv1.

Zero chance this will work - in the age of the internet as soon as they make an exception for one person word will spread and they will have to sell it to everyone for that price. But please, go ahead and try.

Reactions: preilly44
I understand why people don't pay now for something that is not delivered now or soon.

On the other hand, I bought it because I support its development. It's just like a crowdfunding project that I want to cheer it on.

It's possible to be scammed in a crowdfunding project but Tesla has been good with its goals as long as you have the patience to wait.

I made a deposit for Model S and I didn't get it until a long wait of almost 4 years.

People bought AP1 and they didn't get their Autopilot acitvated until 1 year later.

Yes. It takes time but when it starts to work, it will be a blast to grow with the system from its infancy!

It's a joy of being an early adopter!

Reactions: C141medic
I voted no.
I have absolutely no interest in a vehicle that has all the fun of driving .... I want to feel the acceleration, cornering and nimble handling myself. I want to remain alert, and in control.... else I might go to sleep.
I do, however, like lane keeping assist, and braking monitors on the braking system.

I'd be much more interested in a system that detected drowsiness, or impaired driving from a medical condition, and safely pulled to the curb and parks.

I voted no.
I have absolutely no interest in a vehicle that has all the fun of driving .... I want to feel the acceleration, cornering and nimble handling myself. I want to remain alert, and in control.... else I might go to sleep.
I do, however, like lane keeping assist, and braking monitors on the braking system.

I'd be much more interested in a system that detected drowsiness, or impaired driving from a medical condition, and safely pulled to the curb and parks.
I want mine to be able to park itself and then come pick me up :)

I doubt very much that they're all of a sudden going to be cranking out FSD features next month when I believe EAP is still lacking some features of APv1.

What AP1 features does 2 still lack? I thought 2 was considered to have equaled or surpassed 1 at least a few months ago at this point?

Regarding EAP, since I'm AWD non-P with a Sept-Nov delivery window I'm going to see what (if any) FSD features come in August with v9... if it's anything worthwhile, I'll buy it at the pre-delivery price. If not, I won't.

Last edited:
What AP1 features does 2 still lack? I thought 2 was considered to have equaled or surpassed 1 at least a few months ago at this point?
Not exactly. No sign recognition or specific object (bike/truck) recognition, or if it recognizes it takes no action. Still squirrelly on tight windy roads. Some things are better some are worse. Better hill cresting on ap2, yet ap1 handles sharp curves better. Ap1 can lane change where it "sees" dashed lines, ap2 doesn't see and uses map data so lane change can only be attempted in certain specific places. It's a bunch of little things. I don't think there's going to be a recognizable day that we will be able to pinpoint ap2 is demonstrably better than ap1 in every aspect, it's just going to get new features a little at a time and one day and the features that are lacking will get fixed and we'll get the whole ap2 package as originally promised.

I took delivery of my Model 3 in October and opted out of getting FSD. However, Elon has mentioned something about an update in August that will be the first firmware to add a feature to people who paid for FSD. Rumors say that it might be enhanced summon features? but not sure as of yet. If i was taking delivery now and also considering the price change for upgrading later versus now - I would configure with FSD.

Ap1 can lane change where it "sees" dashed lines, ap2 doesn't see and uses map data so lane change can only be attempted in certain specific places.
This is only partially true now. Driving along this section of IN-37 which is under major construction to be turned into I-69 (see completed sections to the south in Indiana) I get lane change abilities on less than 24 hour old dashed lines and AP is definitely aware of the cones, adding or removing allowable lanes as the cones move. However, on IN-37 (still divided highway) south of the construction, there is no lane change ability.

I'm lucky enough I was never around for the bad days of AP2, as I became a Tesla owner this June.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
I sprung for FSD.

Part of it is I want to be a part of the growth, and experience the slow rollouw of features first-hand. I also want to get a free hardware upgrade if necessary.

I remember (although I can't find it now) reading something from Elon, or on the Tesla website that EAP used 4 cameras, and FSD would use the other 4.

My prediction of what is coming in August is display of cars immediately to the left and right of you (and maybe behind you) on the 15-inch display, which Elon has separately hinted at on Twitter, and that (I think) would require the backwards looking cameras on the front quarter-panels, and the cameras on the B-Pillars.

My prediction after that, is that they roll out some beta functionality that requires you to still pay attention, that uses those same cameras to look at cross-traffic and maybe gives the car some smarts at intersections.

I don't think FSD will be all or nothing (sit in the back seat and be chaufferred) - I think for a long time it will basically be EAP where you need to pay attention, but for city streets.

Want the car to navigate a 4-way stop without you having to do anything? FSD.
Want the birds-eye view functionality that shows your car overhead? That uses all the cameras, so FSD.

I know that last one may be controversial, and I may be wrong, but I will go out on a limb that Tesla will try and find things that they can label as FSD to incent people to pony up some more money.

Reactions: preilly44

Regarding EAP, since I'm AWD non-P with a Sept-Nov delivery window I'm going to see what (if any) FSD features come in August with v9... if it's anything worthwhile, I'll buy it at the pre-delivery price. If not, I won't.

Apparently the Model 3 received Summon last month? That was one of the things I was referring to. So it looks like AP2 is essentially on par with AP1 now and that I misspoke. Not sure it's surpassed AP1, but other drivers can inform you of their thoughts.

My opinions remain the same, though. Those being that FSD features will take a lot longer to come just like the AP2 features took a long longer than stated/implied. If people want to order it anyways, that's up to them. Nothing wrong with that. It's just not for me. At least not right now. Maybe in the future.

Also, I think it's worth noting that even though Tesla has said the current hardware suite will be able to run FSD, we don't truly know that it will. Granted, Tesla would probably have to update everyone's hardware for free who purchased FSD, but what if they also determine they need to add additional sonar/radar/cameras? That won't be as easy to upgrade. Though I'm sure many would consider some FSD features to be better than none in that instance.