Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self-Driving Price Increase and Addition of "Performance" to current Model 3's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I currently own a Model 3 with Autopilot. The cost to currently add Self-Driving (for future) is $4,000. I read in an Electrek or Teslarati article last week (apologies, I can't seem to find it now) stating that in the most recent call, it was brought up that the price would go up to $5,000.

Does anyone have any update on this?

Also, when Tesla announced the Performance options for Model S, they also allowed an option for current Model S owners to retrofit and add Ludicrous. Does anyone believe this will be available to Model 3 owners?

Thanks (and sorry if this is a noob question, this is my first post here!).

I would love to see ludicrous show up on a dual motor as a nice surprise later... There’s an awfully large spread for motors that basically have a longer burn in. I’m thinking they are electronically limiting the potential until the S redesign which will bump up the S performance.

...$5,000...

It's from 2017-Q4 Elon's phone conference which you can go to investors page to listen:

"Yes, exactly. And that's assuming the sort of semi-automated driving doesn't definitely require any hardware upgrades. And that's $5,000 of. That's potentially a software product provided with zero marginal cost and 100% margin. And then when full self-driving is available, we think probably that's more than a $3,000 increment. I think maybe $5,000 increment or something like that."

It sounds like the plan is to increase, not decrease the current pre-delivery $3,000 Fully Self Driving price.

The timing is when it works: It's unclear when it starts barely working in beta or more competent in beta or final product!

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Also, when Tesla announced the Performance options for Model S, they also allowed an option for current Model S owners to retrofit and add Ludicrous. Does anyone believe this will be available to Model 3 owners?

The only offered the Ludicrous retrofit to the already performance version of the Model S. From what we have been told the Model 3 Performance edition will come with Ludicrous mode.

I don't think that RWD Model 3s will have any chance of getting a performance retro-fit, it would just be too much. There is a small chance, but still highly unlikely that the AWD Model 3s would have an upgrade path. (We don't know what all would need changed, but likely both motors, and the brake rotors/calipers/pads. Maybe even the suspension.) Again it just wouldn't be worth Teslas time without charging so much that it would make it so that nobody would do it. (It would be cheaper to trade your car in and get a purpose built Performance version.)

It sounds like the plan is to increase, not decrease the current pre-delivery $3,000 Fully Self Driving price.

My gamble of buying it with my car will pay off in that case. Assuming it gets actually implemented before my car gets totaled or sold at some point in the distant future, of course.

The hardware comments do make me a bit nervous. I know there is some statement that Tesla will upgrade FSD hardware if needed, but they historically have not done that with other AP upgrades. They might release a limited feature set for AP 2 cars and say that well, you are getting the $3000 worth of FSD features. AP3 FSD is “Enhanced” FSD and is now $5000 so you need to buy a new car to get that.

Ah well, always a gamble with Tesla I suppose. Keeps it exciting.

Tesla announced the Performance options for Model S, they also allowed an option for current Model S owners to retrofit and add Ludicrous. Does anyone believe this will be available to Model 3 owners?
The only time a retrofit was offered was in regards to the P85D which originally just had "insane" mode. There was a brief time where owners could have retrofit for a price (wasn't cheap $10k or $15k I think) to "ludicrous" mode. Your statement makes it sound like any Model S owner of any model could upgrade to a performance model. That is not true.

There is no way your current long range single motor 3 will be possible to retrofit to performance version. Only thing possible would be Tesla could "unlock" more performance from your current hardware through a software update. I see no reason for them to do that.

Does anyone have any update on this?
A price increase won't happen in the foreseeable future unless Tesla comes out with it fairly quickly and it blows people socks off.

I feel like they are going to start having trouble with their pricing, even for EAP which the main features are lane keeping assist and TACC both of which come standard on certain vehicles from other manufacturers even at a lower base price than Model 3.

If anything they could charge $8000 for FSD and have EAP come standard.

Reactions: adaptabl
...historically have not done that with other AP upgrades...

That was different MobilEye pre-planned obsolescence.

MobilEye way was to keep trading your entire car in for a new chip feature.

Tesla's own way is much better!

...AP3 FSD is “Enhanced” FSD and is now $5000...

There's no doubt that new AP generation will be introduced with higher price but we already paid for whatever features that are promised.

It'll be level 4 or 5 minimally but for an additional price, there will be something else no doubt!