Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have driven a tesla on a test drive but that is about it.

If I had the self driving option and wanted to go from NYC To Pittsburgh, would the tesla be able to essentially drive itself there.

If not how much involvement would I have besides holding the wheel?

How safe would it be?

Thanks

My man, throw a pillow in the back and take a nap. Let the car do the work! When you pull up to another car ask the other driver if they have any Grey Poupon?

Don’t do any of that. Well, maybe the last one is fine. But the car will take you but remember you better still have your eyes on the road and still be alert. It will make lane changes for you, it will gas and brake for you but just be aware that you need to be alert at all times.

• Funny
Reactions: SunCharged
In it's present state FSD is capable of freeway driving including one/off ramps and lane changes. Also it is capable of straight line street driving with automatic stops at red lights and automatic starts at green lights (provided there is a car in front of you).

It is NO where near level 4/5 fully autonomous driving. There is a LOT that it can't do. The BETA (view videos on YouTube) is much closer but even that still won't do everything and requires intervention / correction.

Reactions: cwerdna and BeeGood
That depends on a number of specifics. Off highway you'll need to intervene often with the current public release. With the beta a lot less but still several times within say 30-60 min.

Look at Dirty Tesla on YouTube for BETA FSD examples in Detroit snow. Prob worst case example.

I have driven a tesla on a test drive but that is about it.

If I had the self driving option and wanted to go from NYC To Pittsburgh, would the tesla be able to essentially drive itself there.

If not how much involvement would I have besides holding the wheel?

How safe would it be?

Thanks
Not even close. You will need to interact with the vehicle MANY times. And always have your hand on the wheel in preparation to take over.

The car will probably try and get you rear-ended by phantom breaking or just flat out killed by cozying up next to a very large truck several times during the course of the journey.

Seriously. It is not safe if you’re thinking zero intervention will be required. You need to by hyper-aware.

Not even close. You will need to interact with the vehicle MANY times. And always have your hand on the wheel in preparation to take over.

The car will probably try and get you rear-ended by phantom breaking or just flat out killed by cozying up next to a very large truck several times during the course of the journey.

Seriously. It is not safe if you’re thinking zero intervention will be required. You need to by hyper-aware.

So dramatic. :)

Autopilot or FSD lulls drivers into a sense of inattentiveness. Especially the type of drivers who are expecting it to be fully capable of driving the vehicle.

Generalizing comments that imply that FSD lulls drivers into a sense of inattentiveness isn’t exactly true. It certainly may do that to some, but from what I’ve seen, read and know about its use from many sources, I would say it doesn’t have this affect on the vast majority. Only some.
So your comment is a little to generalizing in my opinion. I think if I was wrong, we would have countless instances of accidents while using FSD, and we don’t see that as the case.

Generalizing comments that imply that FSD lulls drivers into a sense of inattentiveness isn’t exactly true. It certainly may do that to some, but from what I’ve seen, read and know about its use from many sources, I would say it doesn’t have this affect on the vast majority. Only some.
So your comment is a little to generalizing in my opinion. I think if I was wrong, we would have countless instances of accidents while using FSD, and we don’t see that as the case.
Based on what crash data?

What % of Tesla crashes occur with autopilot enabled vs. disabled?

I will patiently await your findings.

Autopilot or FSD lulls drivers into a sense of inattentiveness. Especially the type of drivers who are expecting it to be fully capable of driving the vehicle.

Autopilot/FSD isn’t lulling anyone into a sense of inattentiveness. People are choosing to use these features in ways that are not intended.

Teslas instructions are pretty clear. And beyond that, anyone who has used Autopilot/FSD (as it is today) and has any sense whatsoever knows they need to pay attention and be ready to take control of the car at any time.

Based on what crash data?

What % of Tesla crashes occur with autopilot enabled vs. disabled?

I will patiently await your findings.

Tesla has delivered collected data on how many accidents occur with FSD, and without.
It was clear, the without is significantly more. That’s the basis behind my comment, and why your generalization isn’t accurate.
You can search those facts for yourself. :)

This kind of thing is actually tested a lot academically speaking outside of the context of driving, and humans consistently fail.

I don't think its applicable yet to FSD because FSD is far from perfect. NoA is nowhere close to 90% let alone the 99% or more that would lull a person into a sense of inattentiveness.

In my experience I'm MORE attentive with NoA than using TACC/AP. I am because NoA has consistently failed me, but it can be enjoyable at times. So every few updates I test it, and then eventually I stop using it because it's not worth bothering with. Even the TACC by itself isn't 99% so its never lulled me in inattentiveness either. It loves picking just the wrong moment to false brake for example. Other times it mysteriously loses a few mph.

This is a pretty big contrast to my experiences with AP1 where I found myself losing situational awareness so I stopped using AP. It's not that it sucked, but it was good enough that it simply didn't require much from me. I felt much safer, and alert with TACC. Sometimes I turned on AP to do auto-lane changes since I really liked that aspect of it.

I've had a Model 3 with EAP/FSD for 2.5 years now, and I've never felt even a hint of the same loss of situational awareness. Instead the biggest danger is my own desire to experiment where I don't take over fast enough when it does something stupid. Like last time it decided to turn on the right blinkers while I was passing something.

Now its possible that I'm more prone to it as I like checking out the scenery as it goes by. Heck part of why I got FSD was the hope that one day I could be free to watch the scenery like I was on train.