Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self-healing paint protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody have experience of Feynlab's self-healing paint protection (feynlab.com)?

I am not interested in self-healing in general, as their method is different from the UV ones used by Nissan for example - it's their specific product I am interested in.

Any input appreciated.

Just curious, how is Feynlab different from other liquid coatings such as C-Quartz? Is Feynlab in addition to or instead of wraps?
C-Quartz and other ceramic coatings are SUPER HARD coatings to resist scratches, Feynlab is softer and has self healing. Heat repolymerizes the coating to heal the scratch. Both work, just in different ways. But is you do get a scratch in a ceramic coating, you have to machine correct the surface back to the clearcoat and reapply. Feynlab does not require this.

@ev-now and @Jimmy 1

How has your Feynlab Self Healing worked out for you now that more time has past? I think @Jimmy 1 did Self Heal Plus... what did you use @ev-now ?

I'm getting my first Tesla soon and I'm looking into these coatings. I read your post months ago... and since then, I've found very little information anywhere online about these coatings which is disappointing.

I was originally going to do an Opti-Coat Pro coating until I read about this self healing coating... my thought is that an opti-coat pro coating might still get swirl marks from washes whereas this self healing coating seems like it might prevent that.

@Jimmy 1 would you say the "Heal Plus" has been worth it vs. the "lite" version? Did it truly give you more gloss?

Thanks for any insights you fine gentleman can provide!!!

@ev-now and @Jimmy 1

How has your Feynlab Self Healing worked out for you now that more time has past? I think @Jimmy 1 did Self Heal Plus... what did you use @ev-now ?

I'm getting my first Tesla soon and I'm looking into these coatings. I read your post months ago... and since then, I've found very little information anywhere online about these coatings which is disappointing.

I was originally going to do an Opti-Coat Pro coating until I read about this self healing coating... my thought is that an opti-coat pro coating might still get swirl marks from washes whereas this self healing coating seems like it might prevent that.

@Jimmy 1 would you say the "Heal Plus" has been worth it vs. the "lite" version? Did it truly give you more gloss?

Thanks for any insights you fine gentleman can provide!!!

I have had it for well over a year, still working fantastic. I have Ceramic Pro on my wifes car. Works really well also, but the self healing does work. I always seem to find that one person at home depot that loves to jam your car with the cart. A heat gun makes the scratch go away. They say the sun will heal it, but I could never wait. I really like the way the wheels clean up and the glass sheds water. Well worth it. btw, I occasionally use the touchless car washes with little or no concern.

I've never used the heat gun. A couple of days in Colorado sun does the trick. Has a nice slick look to it. Sheds water amazingly well. Have not used a carwash but sure I will eventually. Stays clean nicely as sheds dust reasonably well too. Did not do wheels, I think ceramic might be better there seems chips are more of a risk.

Feynlab said Self-heal could not go over, or under clear-bra - so this was not done on mine. YMMV.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
I've never used the heat gun. A couple of days in Colorado sun does the trick. Has a nice slick look to it. Sheds water amazingly well. Have not used a carwash but sure I will eventually. Stays clean nicely as sheds dust reasonably well too. Did not do wheels, I think ceramic might be better there seems chips are more of a risk.

Feynlab said Self-heal could not go over, or under clear-bra - so this was not done on mine. YMMV.
So does that mean it's just the feynlab that is required?

I'm looking into these now,as we already have swirls on our S's paint (have never had this problem with ANY other manufacturer) and I'm a bit confused over the different brands and methods.

Does a clear wrap go over the liquid coverings, or is instead of the liquid coverings?

(For instance is it XPel + ceramic pro? Which of these two products does feynlab replace?)

Feynlab sells products like Ceramic Pro. It is not that it is the only product required - you have a choice, self-healing OR bras/wraps. At the time mine was done they said not over or under wrap - this may have changed but I doubt it. Over they say it will not bind (and they do not want it on plastics either - sill, etc. And under defeats the purpose.

In other cases people put ceramic coatings over wrap I believe - but I did not go there.

The issue is that Feynlab's Self-heal will not protect against stone chips or indeed heavier impact damage (doors, etc).

Hello everyone,

Newbie here, but I work on a ton of Teslas here in Austin as a Clear Bra Installer, Paint Correction, Window Tinting and Ceramic Coatings (as a Tier 1 Installer for Feynlab) so I thought I'd throw my experience and knowledge out there.

I've been trained on Feynlab products and I'd say the self heal coatings are great for light protection and they do work very well. I'd opt for the Heal Lite as it's just as good the Heal Plus and not as expensive. I can't confirm longevity yet, but so far my test vehicles are holding up nicely and I've been impressed with the self healing ability. The next down the list would be Ceramic Plus which has some minor self healing as well. All good options - happy to talk through approaches with any of you, any time.

If you want total protection however, nothing is going to work as well as clear bra/PPF. Lately, I've been loving the clarity from Suntek Ultra vs Xpel Ultimate.

Tesla-Model-X-Clear-Bra.jpeg

Don't you love how these ceramic coating companies restrict their "professional products" from their consumer products yet there doesn't appear to be any difference in application. Wipe on in cross hatch in small sections and buff off with micro fiber towel. With most of the products it is immediately wipe off before it dries. Some products have a longer set up time before you must buff it off. I say, make the professional products available to the consumer and just don't offer the longer warranty except through certified detailers. The higher price for the commercial products is probably to cover an insurance policy for warranty work. Virtually all of these chemicals are manufactured in China, Taiwan or Japan so the real cost is very low and the profits very high.