TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Self-induced Range Anxiety

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by jpasqua, Jun 2, 2013.

1. jpasqua

jpasqua P19325

I was driving up the California coast on Friday afternoon from San Luis Obispo to Carmel. It's easily within the range of my 60 so I set out on a carefree trip. Unfortunately traffic was miserable on Highway 1 so I thought I'd shoot over to 101 for a more relaxed drive. This cost me quite a few miles and it was over 90 degrees so the AC was blasting. No problem, I'd stop and pick up a little dinner and a charge along the way. When I pulled in for a charge I realized that I left my J1772 adapter in a parking garage in San Luis Obispo. Bummer. I'd have to deal with that later. It was too far to go back.

At that point I decided to get back on the road and figured I'd charge in Salinas. When I got to Salinas I had about 23 miles left to go and exactly 23 miles of predicted range. Would I be smart and charge up, or reckless and drive carefully to my destination? Yup, reckless. With an eagle eye on my current energy usage I made it with 1 mile of predicted range and the center console saying "Charge Now".

I don't recommend this approach and if there were anyone with me I wouldn't have risked it. I just wanted to see how carefully I could manage the power consumption. As you all know, lowering speed is the key but I didn't want to go so slow as to be unsafe. Fortunately I didn't have to. It was interesting to have done this once, but I won't be repeating the exercise. Now I've got to figure out how to get my J1772 adapter back!

IMG_1425.jpg

2. Zextraterrestrial

I made my last stretch of 242 miles through hills on mostly 65 mph roads( driving <63) but ended that trip going under 40mph on 280 with 2 miles left and charge now! and made it. Benbow to Los Altos hills is a little much

I didn't have any range anxiety but thought we might need to jump the freeway fence and walk a little ;>
    My wife, on the other hand, had a bit or 'anxiety'. Ok, I was getting a little worried too at the very end

3. jpasqua

jpasqua P19325

@Zextraterrestrial: I'm glad you made it and its nice to hear I'm not the only one who pushed his luck :)

I was also happy to learn that the parking garage found my adapter and is mailing it to me.

4. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Wife anxiety is NOT good!