Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self installation of a PowerWall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been trying to get a PowerWall through proper channels and after months of trying the official answer for NE Tennessee is we do not install in your area. I can understand that but I also work part time for a local solar installer and they have been trying for 9 months to become a certified installer with not so much of a confirmation call or email.

So I think I found a PowerWall and Gateway I can procure. Can one install and commission one as an owner?

Note: I was the designer and contractor of my passive solar home. I did the wiring and I converted a Jeep to all electric drive and my Chevy Avalanche and Prius into plugin hybrids way before OEMs sold such a thing so I am comfortable with wiring and cutting edge technology.

thank you

Reactions: 365gtb4
So I am sort of in the same boat, I have heard that Tesla has stopped installing in Minnesota. What I would like to do is procure a few powerwalls and gateways myself then go about getting them installed and setup and finally letting Tesla know to add them to my app. If they say no way since I had them installed myself, I can simply sell them. To be clear I won't be installing them myself but getting a certified electrician to install them.

As an alternative, I’d suggest getting everything short of the actual Tesla equipment installation preconfigured yourself under permit (any required service upgrades/wiring, designated locations for Gateway and Powerwall, junction box with service loop for Tesla connection, roomy conduit, etc), coordinating the design with Tesla. Then get a Tesla certified company from somewhere to handle the remaining paperwork and then come in and install the Powerwall and Gateway. I did something similar with Tesla itself and reduced my Tesla labor expenses considerably. I didn’t have any solar installed at the same time.

As an alternative, I’d suggest getting everything short of the actual Tesla equipment installation preconfigured yourself under permit (any required service upgrades/wiring, designated locations for Gateway and Powerwall, junction box with service loop for Tesla connection, roomy conduit, etc), coordinating the design with Tesla. Then get a Tesla certified company from somewhere to handle the remaining paperwork and then come in and install the Powerwall and Gateway. I did something similar with Tesla itself and reduced my Tesla labor expenses considerably. I didn’t have any solar installed at the same time.
That part sir has already been done.

I would call Tesla Energy and ask them if they will "provision the powerwall" if you self install and have the local municipality sign off on your permits.

Honestly, that seems to be the path of least resistance. You can probably purchase one or more through the forums here, craigslist, etc. (be patient) as people sell their referral powerwalls.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Have you looked at any other alternatives to Powerwalls and Gateways? Also, mind sharing what you think you can purchase them for? The Tesla installed price is way too expensive IMO.
One big reason I would like to install one is we install solar in the area. NO-ONE can install PowerWalls, and from what I see they are both the easiest to install and the lowest cost. I would like to gain the experience and do the learning on my home before we do other homes. Also with what I hope will be a successful install I can use that to push Tesla to allow us to install. And if I find out they are way to hard and complicated we will stick with LG Chem, Fortress Power or Generac.

Have you looked at any other alternatives to Powerwalls and Gateways? Also, mind sharing what you think you can purchase them for? The Tesla installed price is way too expensive IMO.

What's a lower cost alternative?

My 3 powerwalls + gateway before sales tax and before federal tax credit was $20.5K installed for 40.5 kWh of useable capacity (because of the bundling discount).

How does that compare with competing solutions?

Last edited: