Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

self made aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind that most BMW rims have the correct bolt pattern and offset to the fit the Model S. I run a set of M6 forged rims on my car and they are more aero and save 10lbs per wheel. I was thinking that the wheels from the BMW i8 would also look great.

View attachment 172878
Saw these in person at the Tesla Owner's Social on the weekend and they are awesome. I definitely want to track down a set of these for my X. I like the look of the ones on FlatSix911's S more than those crazy i8 wheels.

Saw these in person at the Tesla Owner's Social on the weekend and they are awesome.
I definitely want to track down a set of these for my X. I like the look of the ones on FlatSix911's S more than those crazy i8 wheels.

I'd sure want a different cap though :)

Good Catch ... here is a more recent photo with the Alpina center caps :cool:

IMG_4727.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4727.JPG
    IMG_4727.JPG
    742.7 KB · Views: 42
OK I was able to do some tests. I was only able to do one test at an average speed of 67 mph. I used a roundtrip of 50 miles total to eliminate wind and elevation. So basically my test was going 50 miles on a flat road at 67. The difference in energy consumption was about 5%. That is the equivalent of about 12-13 miles of range on a full charge.

Even though I wasn't able to do another controlled test at higher speeds, it is obvious that the energy savings are higher the faster you drive. Now don't get me wrong, you are not using less energy going faster. The faster you drive, the more wind drag causes the energy usage to go up. Thus the faster you go, the more these aero-wheels have a positive effect. Based on me driving with these disks for a few weeks now, going at 80 mph you save about 6-7% energy. That would be 16-17 miles of range.

There is almost no effect in slow surface street driving around town. The average speed is just so low that wind drag has ony a small effect.

Some might say, so what, that's not a lot. True, it isn't that much, but consider people were willing to pay $3k to get the 90 over the 85. Of course there isn't just range. On trips, you use 5-6% less energy, which means you save that amount of time charging, or you can go a little faster without using any more energy. Basically it makes the car more efficient, which is never a bad thing.

Almost everywhere I park or at Superchargers people come up to my car and ask questions. The look gets a lot of positive reactions. Besides the efficiency aspect, I think it shows there is a market for such a wheel.

Now the bad things:
The disks require special lug nuts to provide mounting points.
The disks cover the valve to the tire so you have to take the disk off to check tire pressure.
The disks come out from the rim and curb rash is much more likely to happen. (I already scratched one disk)
Dirt collects between the rim and the disk and starts to rub.
The disks create a drum-like body. There are definitely some odd sounds from the wheels now.
Rims and these disks flex as you drive. The guy from the shop that made these explained to me that every rim flexes in turns and this will causes some movement in relation to the disk. This relative movement together with the dust collected will scratch your rim.
Balancing the wheel would be another challenge.

So I have mixed feelings. I'm very happy with the positive aspect on reducing energy usage. 5-7% is significant. Not happy with the side effects. Wheels are spinning very fast and have to take a lot of vibration. Just from a mechanical point of view, it would be much better to have one solid piece (rim) rather that two pieces that cause relative motion (even if it's just a little).

First off, I really like your design. I used full moon covers on my Dodge truck and it definitely increased efficiency .
Here is what I came up with. I think they solve most of your bad points.
img_0026-jpg.168889

Very cool! When you can produce another set for a local member? :cool:

Here is a link to my write up.

Aero wheels
Ok, Had some time to do the install of the wheel covers.

As you can see..no wheel was injured to install covers(no drilled holes). Don't get me wrong im not against drilling the rim to anchor them, I have done it on both motorcycle wheels and my Pin Drive wheels on my Cobra. I just wanted to see if this way worked.
From the one photo you can see I used two sided foam tape to inatally hold the pieces , then secured the outer , then inner pieces together.
What I learned.....I need to space the two small holes further apart. I pulled to hard on the safety wire on one and pulled the wire right through. Second I need to make the covers a little larger to fit the opening closer. This would provide more surface area for the two sided tape to hold.
The covers are very well secured, but I think I will make a few sets, just a little larger, along with the holes spaced further apart.
Oh ya, I also changed up the sanded pattern. What do you think ?

Jeff

View attachment 168886 View attachment 168887 View attachment 168888 View attachment 168889 View attachment 168890

img_0026-jpg.168889

Reactions: blownb310
I'd be in for a set if the price is reasonable, if you ever decide to make them.

After driving with the disks for 6000 miles I can say that they make a big difference. The increase in range is significant. Adding a disk to the original rims is not a practical solution, though. They make sounds, they scratch the rim, they block access to the valve, they scratch very easy at curbs as they extend out from the rim.

What we need is a rim designed to be (almost) closed and aerodynamic. It would make give any Model S and X a range increase of 5-10%. I have done the same 4k mile road trip many times without and once with the disks on. The energy consumption was 15% lower. People were willing to pay $3000 to be 6% more range when the 90 came out (price difference 85 compared to 90 back then). A set of rims for the same price would not only give you more range it would also save you energy/cost.

After driving with the disks for 6000 miles I can say that they make a big difference. The increase in range is significant. Adding a disk to the original rims is not a practical solution, though. They make sounds, they scratch the rim, they block access to the valve, they scratch very easy at curbs as they extend out from the rim.

What we need is a rim designed to be (almost) closed and aerodynamic. It would make give any Model S and X a range increase of 5-10%. I have done the same 4k mile road trip many times without and once with the disks on. The energy consumption was 15% lower. People were willing to pay $3000 to be 6% more range when the 90 came out (price difference 85 compared to 90 back then). A set of rims for the same price would not only give you more range it would also save you energy/cost.

That is exactly what I am working on right now :) but cheaper

Thanks for the info David. I have looked around for a cheap aero rim to replace my stock rims and have not found anything.

If we could get a rim that is narrower, more aero, lighter, and fits a LRR tire, I think we could see some really big gains, potentially save money on tires, good things. Turn your 85 into a 100!

I have heard others with similar ideas. Maybe we should do a Kickstarter?

I know Tesla wants their cars to look great, but it is just weird how the wheels/tires appear to have been given almost zero consideration in regard to efficiency....granted the aero rims were around briefly.

Reactions: AGCF
I bet we'll see more aero-minded wheels on Model 3. It's just a more natural place to position such things, suits the market better there.

Tesla is going to try and eek out as much efficiency as possible for the 3 and are already reporting lower Cd than Model. S. They need to beat Bolt for range! We know that wheels alone can make this difference... so ... slippery wheels are coming.

Maybe lower cost (base equipped) steel wheels and aero hub caps for the masses? Helps meet the cost goals for 3. And a fast way for Tesla to make another $2500 per car when everyone options up out of the notion of having base wheels because they are associated with "cheap". ..then go looking for hub caps later that will fit over mags. Because they realize range is king. :p

Last edited:
I bet we'll see more aero-minded wheels on Model 3. It's just a more natural place to position such things, suits the market better there.

Tesla is going to try and eek out as much efficiency as possible for the 3 and are already reporting lower Cd than Model. S. They need to beat Bolt for range! We know that wheels alone can make this difference... so ... slippery wheels are coming.

Maybe lower cost (base equipped) steel wheels and aero hub caps for the masses? Helps meet the cost goals for 3. And a fast way for Tesla to make another $2500 per car when everyone options up out of the notion of having base wheels because they are associated with "cheap".
The grey/black model 3 prototype had something like that. With inserts though, not pretty in my opinion

That is exactly what I am working on right now :) but cheaper

Thanks for the info David. I have looked around for a cheap aero rim to replace my stock rims and have not found anything. If we could get a rim that is narrower, more aero, lighter, and fits a LRR tire, I think we could see some really big gains, potentially save money on tires, good things. Turn your 85 into a 100!

I have heard others with similar ideas. Maybe we should do a Kickstarter? I know Tesla wants their cars to look great, but it is just weird how the wheels/tires appear to have been given almost zero consideration in regard to efficiency....granted the aero rims were around briefly.

Like this ... :cool: Tesla Aero Wheel Rim

upload_2016-9-19_20-32-30.png