Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

self made aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Evogreen ive been toying around with trying a “pizza pan” approach with my Model x 60 for road trips to gain some range back. I think your design is beautiful. However looking for something safe yet more cost effective.

It came to mind that the truly special part of your install is the adapter on the lugnuts. So you are not “drilling into the wheel” like the OP example. The acrylic is nice ... but to save some money have you considered using your “adapter” to attach simple/easy/cheap pizza pans to it? Any reason why you could not do this and avoid making the acrylic overlay (you would lose the looks of course)?

Perhaps it is the adapter/connector that is the expensive part for you to make? How did you make it if you don’t mind us asking?

Thanks! Cool idea for sure!!
The bracket was modelled using CAD software and then machined using a CNC machine. It is definitely the most expensive piece of this assembly.

The bracket was modelled using CAD software and then machined using a CNC machine. It is definitely the most expensive piece of this assembly.

Looks like you are now big-time... congratulations! :cool:DIY: Clear Aero Covers For A Tesla

Beautiful things can happen when you take matters into your own hands
A high percentage of sighted people agree: wheel covers from Tesla designed to increase efficiency and range are rather ugly. If the writings of many expectant Tesla Model 3 owners are to be believed, a lot of them plan on removing the aerodynamic covers that come standard with that car — the wheels hiding beneath these covers are actually pretty nice — and put them aside for use on long distance trips only, preferring to take the efficiency hit in their day-to-day driving.

DIY aero wheel cover

It doesn’t have to be that way, though. As a Canadian Model S owner discovered, with a little elbow grease and cash, you can have a solution that is both aerodynamic and as attractive as the wheels you prefer to shoe your car with. Maybe even more so.

You can read the long version of how he approached and solved this problem over at
the Tesla Motors Club, but the short version goes like this. Basically, he had a 3D print shop scan his wheel and model a bracket, then had it produced in aluminum at a CNC place. He then cut discs from a sheet of polycarbonate sized to fit his 21-inch wheels. The final piece of the puzzle was a smaller disc “retention plate” in which he cut the letters “EV,” which helped secure the polycarbonate and keep it from cracking at speed.

It ended up costing about CDN $1,325 ($1,044) and he seems quite pleased with the end product. He says it can collect some brake dust, but it can be easily cleaned without removing the wheel. Besides looking pretty snazzy, it also improved efficiency. After completing his project, evogreen — the name he uses on the TMC forum — made a series of runs, carefully measuring the energy-saving improvement. The difference was marked, and ranged from 4,21 percent to 9.24 percent, depending on speed, wind direction and other factors. Though he only made a single set for himself, we can’t help but wonder if there isn’t a market for a similar product out there. $1,000 might be a little expensive for a lot of folks, but perhaps if built in volume, unit prices could be lowered significantly.

There are a few “Captain America” covers running around Palm Bay. They are red, white and blue circles. Some of them without the paint scheme would probably get the job on trips. Also, KIA has some rims that look a lot like the Model 3 covers. You might check the aftermarket for something like them.

I will be clearer; four of these would equal a set of forged rims. Forged rims are no more maintenance than stock wheels, give better ride due to less un-sprung weight, better performance and better efficiency.
I anticipate this wheel cover replacement as rocks, curbs and periodic cleaning take their toll at 25K miles, more or less, depending on conditions. Lexan is tough stuff, and does not yellow over time, but does scratch.
The question is: would these have enough of an efficiency advantage to make them worthwhile over other options.

I do applaud the effort, well done.
How much does the final install weigh?

• Funny
Reactions: blownb310
I will be clearer; four of these would equal a set of forged rims. Forged rims are no more maintenance than stock wheels, give better ride due to less un-sprung weight, better performance and better efficiency.
I anticipate this wheel cover replacement as rocks, curbs and periodic cleaning take their toll at 25K miles, more or less, depending on conditions. Lexan is tough stuff, and does not yellow over time, but does scratch.
The question is: would these have enough of an efficiency advantage to make them worthwhile over other options.
I do applaud the effort, well done. How much does the final install weigh?
I think you are missing the point here ... the Electrek article states that a set of 4 go for about CDN $1,325 (USD $1,044)
A set of forged wheels would run approximately $4,000 to $5,000 ... 4 times the Aero cost. Math can be hard sometimes :cool:

Full moon caps have been around a long time, the above earlier poster had it right, Bonneville Salt Flat style,
Whats needed are quick release hard ABS type PPO sourced wheel spates (at least on the rear, full moons on
the front) no one said they HAD to be made of metal and it eliminates the need for removal when charging.
Admittedly, not the most attractive in appearance but theres no denying the efficiency.

Full moon caps have been around a long time, the above earlier poster had it right, Bonneville Salt Flat style,
Whats needed are quick release hard ABS type PPO sourced wheel spates (at least on the rear, full moons on
the front) no one said they HAD to be made of metal and it eliminates the need for removal when charging.
Admittedly, not the most attractive in appearance but theres no denying the efficiency.
I can't make out what you are saying here, so maybe you can explain?
A spate is defined by Webster as a flood. Is there some other meaning in auto parts world?
Why would aero covers need to be removed when charging?

Reactions: jgs
I can't make out what you are saying here, so maybe you can explain?
A spate is defined by Webster as a flood. Is there some other meaning in auto parts world?
Why would aero covers need to be removed when charging?
The spellchecker got him. "Spates" should be "spats", aka fender skirts. "Charging" should be changing.

The only car that got spats right was the DS-21 (and variants) See this video.

Last edited:
My apologies for my poor spelling and the confusion it's caused
Yes, I meant wheel spats or fender skirts. I would disagree that the Citroen DS was the only car
that looked good with them, The 1st generation Ford Thunderbirds were quite nice looking.
If some type of quick release "wheel skirts" made of a type of hard plastic were attached on
the rear and an aero type wheel on the fronts I would imagine range overall would be improved.

My apologies for my poor spelling and the confusion it's caused
Yes, I meant wheel spats or fender skirts. I would disagree that the Citroen DS was the only car
that looked good with them,

I was referring to the ease of changing a tire, not the looks, many cars looked just fine. All the cars with fender skirts that I've had to deal with never kept the skirts on after the first winter. Just way too hard to reinstall in less than perfect weather conditions.

Reactions: DavidB