TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

self made aero wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by David99, Jan 29, 2015.

1. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

I'm not sure they would because the disk is concave rather than flat or convex.

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Very interesting idea!

3. linkster

linkster Active Member

They look quite aerodynamic to me. The weight reduction becomes more of a benefit in city and performance driving and not so much for steady state highway driving. I inquired about these HRE wheels in a 20" diameter and they were CRAAZY expensive (to me).

4. 46&2

46&2 Member

Not only this design - every hre wheel is...

5. Kofi

Kofi Member

#45 Kofi, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    What do you look for in a 20" wheel linkster? In regards to pricing, the HRE FF01 and FF15 are definitely more reasonable than a forged series. The lifetime structural warranty, TUV Certification, and manufacturing in the U.S. make the forged line a premium offering.

6. David99

David99 Active Member

I really don't know how much. Based on reading what other people experience it should be 4-6%. But I guess each car is different and wheel size makes a difference. I drive a lot of highway. I think the difference is only noticeable at higher speeds. At lower speeds we all know the air drag is much lower and has far less of an impact so I don't expect the disks to make any difference.

7. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

The reason the Tesla factory aerowheels didn't sell was not that people weren't interested in additional range, it was that they were ugly as hell, and crazy expensive to boot. I see no reason at all why a 19'' aerowheel with just a smooth, slightly convex brushed alu surface should be more expensive than the standard 19'' wheel.

2d46ed601d37a2c7a6759d72e4ccd246.jpg

8. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

I find them good looking:
    2013-chevrolet-volt-ss-with-aerodynamic-wheel-covers-conception-by-artist-rick-feibusch_10018058.jpg
    There might be some problems with weight etc if such flush surface was part of the rim itself.
    It would be better if it was merely a plastic cover one can mount onto stock 19" rims.

9. ChadS

ChadS Last tank of gas: March 2009

I heard (not sure if it's true) that Tesla did seriously consider clip-on covers for the stock wheels long ago. However, the ones they looked at all had the possibility of scratching the wheels, and that risk was more than they wanted to take on.

Me, I'd be happy to live with that risk.

10. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

All it would need is the touching parts coated in plastic. Anyway, no one will see the actual wheels when the covers are on, so it shouldn't matter.

11. David99

David99 Active Member

#51 David99, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  12. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

Very interesting setup David. You've probably got the biggest kahones of us all drilling into the wheels like you did. Kudos. I wouldn't mind doing something like this for road trips where range is critical, as long as the covers were removable. Looks wouldn't be as important to as much as function.

• Like x 1
  13. Matias

Matias Active Member

#53 Matias, Feb 9, 2015
  14. WarpedOne

I actually like the looks! Now go and paint them in car's color.
    It resonates nicely with KISS principle, applied in the interior.

15. darthy001

darthy001 Love my car, hope Tesla can get as great!

My thoughts exactly. Same colour as the car and we are into what many movies had envisioned cars to look like in the future:)

I would consider buying this for the winterwheels if colormatched and offered by Tesla.

16. jgs

jgs Active Member

I agree. Surprisingly good-looking!

17. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

I suggest adding graphics of some type to the wheel covers, for safety. It allows other drivers to recognize when the wheels are turning. Perhaps some faux turbine blades or maybe a giant tesla logo. :)

18. WarpedOne

#58 WarpedOne, Feb 9, 2015
    What about a rotating spiral?

:)

19. Kofi

Kofi Member

Looking good David. Can't wait to hear the results with the rear wheels.

20. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Good concept. I would paint fake spokes on those pizza pans or something just so it's not so plain. I'm eager to hear concrete numbers on how it improves efficiency and range.

It would be nice to have an aftermarket set of wheel "covers" that snap on to the wheel so they could be added when you really need the extra range benefit. For most of my (city) driving it really wouldn't be worth something like this.