Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

self made aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good 3rd party 'aeros'?

Another DIY idea - perforated disc that allows for some airflow through the rim but prevents turbulence.
100_0447.jpg

Those little hols might even introduce "golf ball effect".
View attachment 71672

Very interesting idea!

Would these wheels achieve the aero function and styling you're looking for? Depending on the exact specs, they'd come in around 18-20 lbs which is 33% lighter than factory 19s.

They look quite aerodynamic to me. The weight reduction becomes more of a benefit in city and performance driving and not so much for steady state highway driving. I inquired about these HRE wheels in a 20" diameter and they were CRAAZY expensive (to me).

They look quite aerodynamic to me. The weight reduction becomes more of a benefit in city and performance driving and not so much for steady state highway driving. I inquired about these HRE wheels in a 20" diameter and they were CRAAZY expensive (to me).
What do you look for in a 20" wheel linkster? In regards to pricing, the HRE FF01 and FF15 are definitely more reasonable than a forged series. The lifetime structural warranty, TUV Certification, and manufacturing in the U.S. make the forged line a premium offering.

Last edited:
Can you give an estimation? Is it around 2, around 5 or around 10 Wh/m?
At what average speed? Mostly highway, mostly nonHW, no HW?
85D with aerowheels could be a 300mile EPA EV. It only needs 5% more range., it needs to drop from 270 down to ~255 Wh/m.

I really don't know how much. Based on reading what other people experience it should be 4-6%. But I guess each car is different and wheel size makes a difference. I drive a lot of highway. I think the difference is only noticeable at higher speeds. At lower speeds we all know the air drag is much lower and has far less of an impact so I don't expect the disks to make any difference.

The reason the Tesla factory aerowheels didn't sell was not that people weren't interested in additional range, it was that they were ugly as hell, and crazy expensive to boot. I see no reason at all why a 19'' aerowheel with just a smooth, slightly convex brushed alu surface should be more expensive than the standard 19'' wheel.

2d46ed601d37a2c7a6759d72e4ccd246.jpg

I heard (not sure if it's true) that Tesla did seriously consider clip-on covers for the stock wheels long ago. However, the ones they looked at all had the possibility of scratching the wheels, and that risk was more than they wanted to take on.

Me, I'd be happy to live with that risk.

I heard (not sure if it's true) that Tesla did seriously consider clip-on covers for the stock wheels long ago. However, the ones they looked at all had the possibility of scratching the wheels, and that risk was more than they wanted to take on..
All it would need is the touching parts coated in plastic. Anyway, no one will see the actual wheels when the covers are on, so it shouldn't matter.

Very interesting setup David. You've probably got the biggest kahones of us all drilling into the wheels like you did. Kudos. I wouldn't mind doing something like this for road trips where range is critical, as long as the covers were removable. Looks wouldn't be as important to as much as function.

Reactions: David99
I actually like the looks! Now go and paint them in car's color.
It resonates nicely with KISS principle, applied in the interior.
My thoughts exactly. Same colour as the car and we are into what many movies had envisioned cars to look like in the future:)

I would consider buying this for the winterwheels if colormatched and offered by Tesla.

Good concept. I would paint fake spokes on those pizza pans or something just so it's not so plain. I'm eager to hear concrete numbers on how it improves efficiency and range.

It would be nice to have an aftermarket set of wheel "covers" that snap on to the wheel so they could be added when you really need the extra range benefit. For most of my (city) driving it really wouldn't be worth something like this.