Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self opening doors? Only on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really wish the Tesla Model 3 had self opening doors. The car seems to do all these automated things, except opening its own door or trunk. Would really like self opening doors, especially for those times when my hands are full. But how do Model X open its own doors, through app or cell phone Bluetooth range?

And I would like a Tesla better for pets because I have 3 bunnies. I usually put them in the trunk of the Model 3, they seem to not mind. But I think they may like the Model X or Y better so they're not in the dark trunk. Sometimes I open the rear seats so I can see them, but I also realized that causes the seats to get squished by the seatbelt if left open too long. I need some kind of rope where I can crack the seat open, but won't open all the way so the seats are still intact.

But I know most people don't have bunnies, probably dogs, so which Tesla best for dogs then?

To an extent something very basically similar does exist for the Model 3 as aftermarket products. Not as elegant as the Model X but you can 1) "pop" the door with a touch of the handle and 2) also "soft close" when door is close to closed.

Last edited:
...But how do Model X open its own doors, through app or cell phone Bluetooth range?

... so which Tesla best for dogs then?

The Model X auto-presenting doors (e.g. walking up) is handled by proximity to the keyfobs. Unlike the Model 3/Model Y, we primarily use keyfobs. You can use your Tesla App or other API-based method to open the doors, and they will pop open, but, on approach open/close is done with proximity to they keyfobs.

We have a dog, and a 6-seater X, and it's easy to have the dog in the X... If he's in his carrier, then, I throw him on one of the seats, otherwise, if he wants to have some freedom, he can roam around in the back (not while driving - during any move, he's back in his carrier). But if he needs to stretch is legs out, he can. I've seen others with larger dogs (ours is about 14 pounds) have their dogs sit in between the 2nd row seats with a 6-seater. Or, if you've watched the Tesla Support videos, you can have the dogs hop up in the back - there's plenty of room... Whether you have a 5, 6, or 7 seater.

• Disagree
Reactions: DCEV and PhilDavid
There seems to be some magic with dogs riding in the back of my Model X. They are more calm and mellow. I teather them back there and they seem to like how low the floor is. Kind of like a cave for them to sleep in. I put a towel over the rear bumper and they easily jump right in and out. For some reason this is a happy place for my Goldens.

Other vehicles they wanted to put their noses out the windows, climb into the front seat, and seemed distracted by all the things going on around them.

Anybody else have a similar experience.

All I can say is the Model X provides the maximum "jaw dropping" factor. When people see I can open every door (including frunk with a simple mod) and have them all close with a single button push they are blown away. When I open the passenger door before my wife even gets there . . . priceless.

I'll probably go to a Model Y when my X dies (in like 8-10 years) but I'll miss the wow factor.

Only other car I know that has push button power doors like these is the Rolls Royce Phantom.

Amazing amount of elegance from not needing to reach out so far to grab the handle and tug the door close.

Having the drivers door open when you approach is pricesless.

Being able to close your drivers door by simply stepping on the brake makes reaching out feel pretty clumsy.

Sometimes I catch myself trying to close the doors of other cars by tapping the brake. Takes me a moment to realize that not all cars do this simple function.

Reactions: msm859
I shut auto presenting doors off.

They are handy once in a blue moon. But annoying the rest of the time. It doesn’t know when I’m walking by the car if I plan to go in it or not. Constantly walking through the garage past the car. Recently turned it on thinking it might be nice for COVID-19 “mode”. Walked by the car with no intent of getting in and almost jumped out of my skin. I was walking fast from rear to front and it opened behind me in the garage.

I rarely use the FOB to open any door. It’s just as easy to click a button on the car as it is to take the FOB out and click it.

I do like being able to open and close all doors from the drivers seat though. But I’m always worried about an obstruction and prefer check all clear before closing or opening. The front doors close a bit on the hard side. You sure don’t want a hand or foot in it’s path once it gets moving.

I’d take the phone as key on Model 3 (which I had) over the motorized front doors on the X. The motors on rear doors and hatch are pretty much required though due to size and weight. And they do open and close smooth.

I shut auto presenting doors off.

They are handy once in a blue moon. But annoying the rest of the time. It doesn’t know when I’m walking by the car if I plan to go in it or not. Constantly walking through the garage past the car. Recently turned it on thinking it might be nice for COVID-19 “mode”. Walked by the car with no intent of getting in and almost jumped out of my skin. I was walking fast from rear to front and it opened behind me in the garage.

I’d take the phone as key on Model 3 (which I had) over the motorized front doors on the X. The motors on rear doors and hatch are pretty much required though due to size and weight. And they do open and close smooth.

The App still works as a key in the Model X. Not the same as the ease of the 3 I will grant you BUT you don’t need the FOB to open the doors or to drive. You have to open the app and press buttons.

The self opening doors is a big reason why I'm not interested in getting a Model Y to eventually replace my Model X. Another reason is the Falcon Wing doors. I know people don't like them, but I rank the ability to open and close every door on my car remotely very high.

I would air suspension to the list of Model X advantages. Ride is smoother in X according to people who have owned both X and Y.

I would air suspension to the list of Model X advantages. Ride is smoother in X according to people who have owned both X and Y.
You know, I have it but never actively use it, but you're right.

Obviously the X has so much advantages, but it comes at a price. I can see I'd be interested in the Y if I never had driven the X, but now I'm spoiled.

Obviously the X has so much advantages, but it comes at a price. I can see I'd be interested in the Y if I never had driven the X, but now I'm spoiled.
Let's not forget that awesome windshield. 5.000lb towing.. Oh don't forget the front driver door closed when walking away, so you never have to even touch the door at all.

The car will use the ride height adjustment for you even if your never set it as you go over 50. But it is the smoothness I like. And yes, I too am spoiled.

The self opening doors is a big reason why I'm not interested in getting a Model Y to eventually replace my Model X. Another reason is the Falcon Wing doors. I know people don't like them, but I rank the ability to open and close every door on my car remotely very high.

Exactly my reason as well. I will add to that the giant wind shield. Love it!
I remember, having a rental, looking at the dashboard to see where the button is to open the doors:rolleyes:

We have both the X and 3. I drove the 3 normally but during the last 4 weeks of stay-at-home, I had been only driving the X. The reasons have to do with all the auto doors.

1) Getting curb side delivered grocery/food is so easy when you could control the open/close of trunk lid from the driver seat. The workers appreciate it too when they don't have to touch your car at all.

2) Self presenting door.. so I don't have to touch the door handle. When I am inside, I take off my gloves, press the brake to close the door and then drive.

But other than the special circumstances, I like the simple mechanical opening of the 3... as I feel like they are less likely to break. We already have to fix the auto presenting door twice in 2 years.

And for OP, you could also consider the Model S. It doesn't have a dark trunk.

The App still works as a key in the Model X. Not the same as the ease of the 3 I will grant you BUT you don’t need the FOB to open the doors or to drive. You have to open the app and press buttons.

Not the same. I didn't have to do a thing with Model 3 or carry around anything else in my pocket.
Having to open an App is worse than the FOB, but nice in an emergency. I used it once.