TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Self parking lots in manhattan near times square?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by andrewket, Mar 3, 2015.

1. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Hey NYC peeps...

I'm going to be spending a few nights in Manhattan at the Westin times square (270 West 43rd) next month and I'm looking for a place to park. I'd prefer a garage w/self parking, which I know is rare. I won't need to charge. Any recommendations? I will likely park and walk/cab it back to the hotel, and not need the car again until I leave a few days later.

Thanks.

2. DPDsModelS

DPDsModelS Member

You've got a couple of options along the Hudson River by The Intrepid and Circle Line piers along 41st, 42nd and 43rd streets. That's about 4 avenues from where you are staying. Here is a link to a website for all self parking in the area.

Self Parking in NYC | NYC Parking Garages | NYC Parking Rates

As it states on the site, 97% of parking in Manhattan is by attendant. That being said, I've had no problems parking my MS with attendants on a daily basis. Hope this helps!

3. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

4. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

#4 bonaire, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    maps.google.com - type in "parking near 270 w 43rd St, NY" and you can map things out.
    The hotel itself may have info on their parking parners in the neighborhood and offer discounts.
    I used to park at the Hippodrome nearby but there are lots of other options. Most parking is $40-45/day.

Another Tip for NJ/NYC

Trenton or Hamilton NJ - NJ Transit Trains stations have wall plugs (120V and 240V) for EVs on the top floors. Hamilton is near the SuperCharger.
    Both stations take you into NYC at Penn Station (33rd st @ 7th/8th ave). You can hop a cab or a subway up to 42nd street. That's the whole NYC experience for you if you want to go that route. Parking is $13/day at these stations and you can charge up for the return home. It's an option.

Pro-Tip - only take the "Express" trains from these stations. The local trains stop way too much. If you are driving into NYC, there is always that risk of damage in the heavy traffic or parking or whatever. I always like to park outside the island.

5. paulkva

paulkva Member

If you do end up driving into the city, I've had good luck with the garage at the end of Dyer Ave (at 42nd St), which is super-easy to get to from the Lincoln Tunnel. Bonus: it's just over one (long) block to your hotel. Interestingly, New York City Parking - Manhattan Parking Group tells me they even have 2 EV charging spaces available at $1/kWh (presumably on top of the $45/day rate). I've walked between Times Square and that garage with my wife and kids, no problem.
    (Disclaimers: I've only parked there a few times, not within the past year, and never in my Model S.)

NycGarageMap.png
    NycGarageStreetView.png

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I've seen parking attendants park cars in NYC (parked there for years, and I had a special deal to park the car myself in a special spot and keep my keys) and I would NEVER hand my keys over to them. They intentionally bump cars to cram as many as possible into their garage and they think nothing of it. This is "normal parking" for them, which is why you see many cars with these bumper guard aprons on the front and rear. I second the notion of parking at hamilton garage and taking the train in instead.

• Like x 1
  7. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

I realize that if you have a car full of family, the train idea I posted above, gets expensive plus lugging luggage. Parking within a block of the hotel makes sense if your group is more than 2 people.

8. Doug4650

Doug4650 Member

I'm doing a NYC adventure in a couple of weeks. Any changes to the recommendations from a year ago?

9. Doug4650

Doug4650 Member

Just finished parking in the Manhattan Plaza Parking. Many of the spots are a pair of spots between columns. So at least on one side, you have a good chance of not being dinged. My wife found a coupon on line, so we spent $17 for 10 hours of parking. The garage levels go down from street level. For level K, Tessie was barely able to get cell coverage. I'd go there again on my next visit.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. Austral

Austral Member

Greatly appreciate the info. Will be northward bound soon. Tallyho.

Any self-parking garages in the financial district?

11. kort677

kort677 Active Member

there is a garage over the battery tunnel
    Google Maps

12. wesley888

wesley888 Member

NIce! I didn't aware that was a self-parking garage as well!

13. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

There's a garage on top of the port authority which is self park. Great place to park if you are using the Lincoln tunnel.

14. wesley888

wesley888 Member

Is there an option to select self parking in the site you link?