TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Self Presenting Door vs High Winds

Discussion in 'Model X' started by jeffnhelen, Jul 11, 2019 at 6:52 AM.

?

Next course of action

1. File a claim with insurance and hope rates don’t skyrocket

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Avoid insurance - take it to a trusted body shop and see what they can do

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Submit service request with Tesla to readjust door and call pop-a-dent

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jeffnhelen

jeffnhelen Member

I had a storm cell creep up on me last night while I was making a quick pit stop and this happened. B2B3C396-6C16-49FF-B094-3B0A00C1695D.jpeg 6D0FC9B0-182F-4477-81BC-551059327EDE.jpeg 3EF243F1-379F-41B0-830A-D8460C1A1137.jpeg

The door cracked open as I walked up and before I could reach out to grab it the wind flung it open and immediately I heard the crunch of metal as it hit the door stops. As you can tell from the photos, it has shifted an eighth to a quarter inch and is catching on the front quarter panel now. It has also shifted enough to where the patching mechanism doesn’t engage or disengage all the time without some coercing.

So my question to you guys is should I just go straight to an insurance claim? Wondering how this potential repair cost could affect my rates before I go that route, so should I just try and take it to a certified body shop and see if they can adjust the door and pop out the dents without filing a claim...what has the collective seen with rates after making claims on Teslas? Or should I submit a service request with Tesla and see what they can do? All of these options I’m hoping can avoid the pain of waiting on ordered parts.

2. VikH

VikH Member

I think this is a valid warranty claim. Even with high winds, the door should not flex. Have Tesla fix the dents/chip and realign door. If you have a sentry cam video of the incident, that would be best to prove the cause.

3. chuynh

chuynh New Member

i dont think the wind caused the door to flex. the wind caused the auto-pesented door to fling ajar and hit something thereby causing the damage.

OP: i woul put in a warranty claim first and see what they say. I've always worried about the auto-presenting doors and it hitting objects unintentionally. However, I just cant stop using the feature...
    good luck with everything and keep us posted!

4. DoctorVenkman

DoctorVenkman Member

It's for this reason I have auto-presenting door turned off. I was in a parking lot when a gust took the door and it dinged the car next to me. Luckily there was no permanent damage (just a scuff that rubbed out) but it made me realize how unpredictable this feature could be. It's not worth the risk for a simple gimmick.

Worst case you're street parked and the door opens into oncoming traffic - bye bye door!

• Like x 1
  5. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Make sure any place you go has experience working with Aluminum body panels. They work differently than steel. Do not be surprised if they just want to replace them.

6. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Member

I would file a claim.

I also turned off auto-presenting after a close call. Very windy day, parallel parked on street, door opens, wind flings it and nearly hits a car passing by.

7. RecklessFury

RecklessFury Member

I'm going to turn mine off also. Whenever I go answer the front door of my home, I know its opening and closing in the garage cause the signal reaches through the wall.

In light of these reports from you guys, and a video I saw where a truck ripped the door off a Model X when driving by, it seems cumbersome. I'm very cognitive of when I approach my vehicle but Its just a matter of time before i have these experiences if I leave it on.

8. jeffnhelen

jeffnhelen Member

Interesting to see the number of people who share my thought on avoiding insurance

To update the story, I went ahead and requested a collision service appt through the Tesla app. Next available slot is the 24th at the Austin center...so when I sent them pictures I requested if they could at least send out a mobile tech to try and adjust the door to where we can use the vehicle again. No response yet on that front.
    After looking more at the door with my dad (previously owned auto shop), we think the top hinge actually bent allowing the door to shift 1/4 in. and the bottom hinge took enough of the force that the reinforcement inside the door caused the door panel to crumple.
    E898494C-C246-40F4-80DA-EF01071D99FA.jpeg BB6DD3A9-66A9-40CC-A277-A66E279FB735.jpeg 446609AA-7FB8-40C7-8777-97326117B49D.jpeg
    The door also opened far enough and with enough force that the stops couldn’t hold it and the skin actually ran into a tab on the hinge causing the small dent on the front edge of the door that’s catching on the quarter panel now. Under normal pressure this tab is about 1/4 in. away from the edge of the door after hitting the stops.
    718BE329-008A-4402-81C7-7B2E22DE2335.jpeg F398708F-3B72-4B42-AD78-163B9A96F602.jpeg

9. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

With your second set of pictures and more scrutiny of your first set, you may be looking at a door replacement. I agree your hinges took a hit and a lot of the load was transferred into the door panels itself causing tweaking/distortion. I am changing my vote to go for an insurance claim.

10. VikH

VikH Member

No, op states the door did not hit anything. The damage was caused by the door flexing after hitting the door stops.

11. Daisame

Daisame Member

After seeing this, I think i will turn my auto-presenting doors off as well. There seemed to be quite of bit of resistance pushing the door open further manually against the automatic opening, but obviously a good wind is enough. I don't think I would have the presence of mind to turn it off on a windy day.

12. cantbechanged

cantbechanged Member

I live in an area that is typically quite windy and have this feature disabled for fear of this or door-dinging my neighbor.

13. jeffnhelen

jeffnhelen Member

Tesla text me back and said I will need to take it to one of their certified body shops as major alignment of the door will need to be performed. Any of you guys in Texas gone to the Service King locations for body work?